Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggcessories

Options
I'm looking for different accessories for my egg that might be useful. Also do you have an instant read thermometer you'd recommend? Thanks!
Large BGE, DigiQ DX2

Comments

• bettysnephew
    Options

1. Purchase the Thermapen from Thermoworks.

2.  Bottle opener for the table or nest.

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    0oHUNTo0
    1. Thermapen.
    2. A way to go indirect. Doesnt matter which way you choose they all work and each have there advantages and disadvantages. Just pick the one you like and think will work best for you. I have an AR and a Woo. I like them both but see now that they are not a must but a luxury.
    3. Rutland gasket. If I knew then what I know now this would have been the first thing i bought.
    4. Lodge 12" cast iron pan.
    5. Spider. Not a must but a great help.
    6. A good pair of welding gloves.
    7. A LOT OF MEAT!!!!!!! I consider this a must!!!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    +1 on the Thermapen. You will wonder how you got along without it. Trust me it is the best eggcessory I have and I have a few!
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • DaveM
    DaveM Posts: 100
    Options
    Thermapen is a must.  Hate overcooked food!  Good pair of welding gloves (don't buy the expensive BGE ones as they aren't very good).  I also bot a box of disposable sheet pans from webstaurant.com for the drippings.

If you have the extra cash, I'd also vote for a BBQ Guru DX (I have the WiFI, but it is too difficult to setup and not worth the extra $$) and a Looftlighter.  

Oh, go ahead and stock up on charcoal and chips.  Get some nice plastic containers for the chips to keep them dry. 

Agree with "OoHUNToO".  Buy a lot of good meat!

--Dave
    --Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill
  • Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Options
    The thermapen is great. Worth the money. I had one before I had an egg, but use it more now.
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    Beer. You're gonna need a lot of beer.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Don't know about the thermapen, but I just got a ThermoPop for 1/4 of the price of a thermapen and love it compared to the junky dial thing I was using. Thermoworks makes both the thermapen and the ThermoPop. If you can wait a couple more seconds, I would recommend the ThermoPop. As for the eggcessories I really want but don't have are the pizza stone and peel. Looks like you got a large with a diqiQ, what kinda of things are you looking for?
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming