Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tough butt

Options
Cooking butts all weekend for some friends. Cooked yesterday.. 4 5lb butts. 160, foil till thermapen slipped in at 205. I had a really difficult time pulling... Seemed tough. I always cook this routine and have never seen this. I put 2 back on and did fine. Input? Cooking 4 more now.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Any chance the small 5# were all from same hog? 
    I've noticed the <7# butts are generally harder to pull than those in the 7-10# range. i thought it was just me, but maybe there is something to a larger butt being easier to cook. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I noticed that with a smaller brisket. It was finished but not tender. My theory is that on smaller ones they cook too fast and don't have time to tenderize fully. Just my theory and I'm still a newbie.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    These were 10lb cut in half. Turbo style during the day. Putting all in foodsaver bags for some folks. I've never had this happen.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    I did ten butts at once Saturday, all to 205 IT and two of them were still a little tight. I wish I'd looked them over for marbling beforehand because other than leaness not sure why the two were tight unless they were just plain stubborn to begin with!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I did 2 ten pounders the day before Thanksgiving.  One finished almost 2 hours before the other.  Both taken to 205 in multiple spots. The one that took longer was tougher and didn't pull as easily.  Done turbo at 350 til 165, wrapped in foil, then back on til 205.  I guess every hunk of meat is different.
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The connective tissue breaks down @ 160-185, the longer you keep the meat in that zone the more tender. As stated above, smaller cut and possible higher cook temps are possible culprits. Really need low and slow on smaller cuts, IMO.
  • henapple
    Options
    I did 4 today... Didn't inject... Came out as tender as a NFL quarterback.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options

henapple said:
    I did 4 today... Didn't inject... Came out as tender as a NFL quarterback.

I've questioned this whole thread from the moment I read the title. Now that we have a peak into the @henapple rating scale for "tender" I'm even more confused.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Foghorn - don't forget his point of reference is the Titans in general and Jake Locker specifically, now out for the season....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    Options
    RG3, Vick, Kaepernick,
  • Foghorn
    Options
    I'm confused.  Is this the tender butt list - or the tough butters?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    Options
    Tender.. Add Vince Young to that.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    No one is as tender as Knowshon tender.

• Foghorn
    Options
    Aah. Got it. I had a hard time with this because when I use the google ap in my brain to search for "something (particularly a butt) I like to eat" and "tender" that isn't the list I come up with. But I'm not judging, I'm just explaining my confusion.

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    Options
    Please post the list...