Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Sous Vide Short Ribs

cazzycazzy Posts: 7,456
edited October 2013 in EggHead Forum
I dusted off my Polyscience Immersion Circulator and decided I'd give short ribs a try.  Nola gave me advice throughout and the meal was a hit!  Thanks bruh!  

Seasoned the short ribs with S&P, then vacuum sealed them and sous vide them for 68 hours @145.

Pulled them out, threw them in a cold water bath (still in the bag).  Then, I took out the bones and threw them in the juices for the sauce.  Meanwhile, I tossed the de-boned short ribs in the fridge (per nola's advice).

I seasoned everything again, then cooked them raised direct (flipped once) till they looked done.  I would have temp checked them, but I was busy making mashed potatoes and veggies.

Amazing meal!  I didn't add the veggies to the pic because I didn't have time to think how to plate them properly.  lol

So good!
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
·

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,996
    Nice work. Was the refrigeration to keep them from overshooting during the sear?
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,456
    Nice work. Was the refrigeration to keep them from overshooting during the sear?
    Exactly for that reason!
    ·
  • TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    I'm speechless! You never cease to amaze me.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,781
    It's good to finally see some green in your back yard. 

Good looking grub. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
    It's good to finally see some green in your back yard. 

Good looking grub. 
    Yeah man...definitely glad to get some rain over here the last few weeks.  
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,621
    Nice cook. Texture looks incredible. Can't go too far wrong listening to Nola. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
    Nice cook. Texture looks incredible. Can't go too far wrong listening to Nola. 
    Yeah...they were perfect.  Not too mushy, not too firm.  My brother said "oh my" when he took his first bite.  Said he's never tasted anything more tender.  The last pic doesn't do it justice...but not stringy and they all had a nice pink hue.  
    ·
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,542
    Looks killer!  If I may ask, how does raised direct sear compare with searing on super heated CI pan?  Also, what did you re-season with. This has been long overdue on my to-do list!
    canuckland
    ·
    edited October 2013
    Looks killer!  If I may ask, how does raised direct sear compare with searing on super heated CI pan?  Also, what did you re-season with. This has been long overdue on my to-do list!
    Nola could prolly answer better.  I took the raised direct approach as adding color, and kind of caramelizing the outside.  I think a sear on a cast iron pan may work, just prolly easier to overshoot.  Just S&P...kept the flavors simple as I wanted the beef to shine.
    ·
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,542
    I think you answered my question about searing ... CI can overshoot, it also cannot sear uneven surface evenly. Thanks for sharing.
    canuckland
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,679
    whoop whoop whoop!!!

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,735
    Looks amazing! Great plated shot.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • I think I'll dust off my sous vide machine.  Looks great !!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • bweekesbweekes Posts: 254
    After an underwhelming SV ribeye attempt, I think i'll make beef short ribs my next trial on the new SV. Not prepared to give up on SV beef just yet! This post gives me hope!
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, KJ Jr., La Caja China #2)
    ·
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 2,255
    Sixty-Eight hours in the SV at 145?  Holy cannoli!  That's low and slow, my friend!

Looks awesome!
    If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Currently in Albuquerque, where I'm kicking ass every day, even without a basket.  
    ·