Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please Help Mold

Hello Everyone,

I've had my egg for years now and have never experienced what I've seen in the last couple weeks. On two separate occasions I've opened my egg to find a yellowish mold growing on the inside of the egg, grate and other tools like a scraper which I store inside the egg. Is this harmful and why is it happening all of a sudden? I cleaned the egg last week before a cook and came back tonight and the mold was back.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Moisture and non-use. After shutting it down, leave a small gap in the adjustable vents so some air can pass through(make sure the charcoal is fully extinguished).

To clean, just let the egg preheat for a while. Burns right off.
  • Dawnl
    Dawnl Posts: 252
    Have no idea why it happens, came back from two week vacation to mold.  Wiped it off with vinegar then fired her up.  No more mold.
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario
  • Thanks guys! I'll start leaving some of the vents open to see if that helps.
  • Also, you might want to lose the brush or clean it as well. The handle looks to be wooden, so it is not being cleaned in a clean burn. Good luck - but venting is the answer - or use it everyday. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I always let the Egg burn for 10 - 15 minutes after taking off the food, before shutting it down, especially after a low and slow, where there is a lot of fat and stuff stuck to the grid. .  Gets rid of all the food particles which can form mold when sitting around for a while.  Saves doing a clean burn to get rid of the mold.  Also makes it easier to clean the grid - like a self cleaning oven.