Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hit the mark with my latest rub recipe, at least as far as pork butt is concerned.

Options
Mud Pig
Mud Pig Posts: 489
edited September 2013 in EggHead Forum
I've done three tests cooks with different variations of a homemade rub recipe and I think I definitely found one that makes amazing pulled pork. Here is the rub recipe:

1/3 cup kosher salt
1/3 cup freshly ground whole black peppercorn
2 tsp each of onion, garlic, and chili powder
1/2 teaspoon of paprika

Cover your pork butt with yellow mustard and apply the rub liberally a couple of hours before it hits the egg. Dont putt any brown sugar on the butt it will make the bark to dark and may lead to a bitter flavor.

Smoke it at 225 for as long as it takes to reach 190 internal, then wrap it for 4 hours, then pull. In my case my 10 pound butt went for 17 hours in the egg.

I followed this to te letter and the pulled pork was outstanding. I did add some apple juice, apple cider vinegar and some more rub to the pork after it was pulled apart.

Here are some pics of the cook.

MP

Comments

• radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    Sounds like a nice simple tasty rub.  I like it.

Long Island, NY
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Simple and easy is good. Some of the best PP we've made had nothing on it other than some mustard, salt and sugar to bark it up a bit....
    The sauce after the pull made the taste. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mud Pig
    edited September 2013
    Options

Simple and easy is good. Some of the best PP we've made had nothing on it other than some mustard, salt and sugar to bark it up a bit....

The sauce after the pull made the taste. 
    Agreed, simple flavors where you really taste the pork after a long smoke is the best way to go in my opinion. I did season the pulled pork with a tweaked version of my pig liquor recipe. This what I used:

2 cups of apple juice
    1 cup of apple cider vinegar
    1 big tablespoon of my rub
    2 tablespoons of brown sugar
    Bring it to a boil, let it cool a bit and then pour it over the pulled pork.

A thing of beauty.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Bookmarked!  I love rub recipes and the bonus is this Pig Liquor recipe.  We have some pulled pork leftover so I think I'll try the Pig Liquor, I was thinking of making it honest by adding bourbon.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mud Pig
    Options
    ^^^ let me know how it turns out.