Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

What do you do with the really small lump pieces?

CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 1,104
It seems that even good quality lump has some amount of very small shards of charcoal. By the time I go through 4 to 5 bags, the bottom of my lump storage bin has about 6" of that very small material. It makes me nervous using it since it packs in so tightly it must impact airflow. Do you use it anyway, toss it, or...?
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• Smaller than a golf ball goes in the trash for me.

• The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    I put it out in the garden along pathways.
    The Naked Whiz
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,386
    you could toss a handful on top just to you is up leave the dust out though 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,193
    When I rake out the ash, I put the small stuff, both from the bag and the stuff that falls thru my High-Q back into the bottom of the egg, maybe to a depth of an inch or so. As soon as the lump above starts, pieces of coals fall through and the whole thing slowly burns. The ash goes in the garden, much like the advice from the Whiz....
    Waste not want not, even if I am a Lump Ho. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 15,360
    I try using it up evenly with the rest of the bag.  Don't sort.   Like @Carolina_Q

• fonemanfoneman Posts: 104
    I burn it all and throw only the ashes away.. 
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,138
    I throw them back in the bag, so they can grow up and become bigger pieces of lump... just in case the charcoal warden is looking :D

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    I don't have a lump storage bin, but when I'm cleaning out the egg, I throw away the little pieces.  Lump is cheap compared to meat.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• billyraybillyray Posts: 1,124
    I sift the ashes and small pieces I remove from the bottom through a 1/4" hardware cloth sieve I made and add the pieces that don't fall through back to the top of my next cook. I have a high-que grate.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
  • TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Throw them in my neighbors yard, he still thinks it rains lump.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• henapplehenapple Posts: 14,671
    Use Ozark Oak... Duh
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 715
    Mix em in with the big and medium stuff. Ya payed for it, might as well use it.
    Centennial, CO
    Unless I'm hunting, then Lord knows where.
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,203
    Squeeze it in my fist for a few minutes and then give my wife a diamond

;)

Actually if the lump is really small I just throw it out with the dust in the bottom; but I don't freak out if it ends up in the egg, burns just like the rest of it
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,769

I use it all, just toss small pieces in on top of whatever is left.

I clean ashes out with a Shop-Vac with a piece of PCP attached to get into the bottom vent.  Any pieces large enough to plug up a 1/2 inch pipe, I just toss into the egg.  Small enough to get into the Vac, they're garbage.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • egger aveegger ave Posts: 580
    The dust and small pieces go in my gardens. The charcoal retains moisture and helps break up the clay soil.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 4 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. "Friends don't let friends cook with propane"
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Lump makes "HEAT" ---  heat makes BBQ  ---  BBQ makes me happy  ---   i burn mine up!
  • I draw pictures with it :)). Actually I use it up in my Weber because that rig can deal with smaller pieces better than the egg, IMHO.
    When you get to a fork in the road, pick it up, spear something with it and throw it on the grill!!!
  • RLeeperRLeeper Posts: 480
    Never have sorted lump and always dump straight from the bag. Low and slows have always been a success and I have yet to have a fire go out.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,585
    I throw them in my oyster bucket that is also where my ash goes. Then my dog eats it and I get mad when she pukes it up at night. Then the next time I clean the egg out the cycles starts over after I say I won't put it in there again.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • stlcharcoalstlcharcoal Posts: 1,391

I dump the fines and dust into a 5 gallon bucket with a lid.  When fireplace season rolls around, I place a few cups in the bottom of each fire.....excellent ignition aid.

One of my customers was telling me about using them in gardening.  Google "bio-char".

Connect:  Website  -  Facebook  -  Twitter

• cajunduckcajunduck Posts: 203
    Put it on top of the bigger lump. "Recycle"
    Geaux Tigers!! West Monroe, Louisiana
  • ReldtiCDNReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    edited June 2013
    Use them for christmas presents for the kids who were only a little bad for through the year.
    I just throw it in, it should burn up quick.
    Brampton, Ontario

• dajogejrdajogejr Posts: 12
    I give them to my neighbor to burn in their outdoor fire pit as a starter.