Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What do you do with the really small lump pieces?

Options
CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
It seems that even good quality lump has some amount of very small shards of charcoal. By the time I go through 4 to 5 bags, the bottom of my lump storage bin has about 6" of that very small material. It makes me nervous using it since it packs in so tightly it must impact airflow. Do you use it anyway, toss it, or...?
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Smaller than a golf ball goes in the trash for me.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I put it out in the garden along pathways.
    The Naked Whiz
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    you could toss a handful on top just to you is up leave the dust out though 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    When I rake out the ash, I put the small stuff, both from the bag and the stuff that falls thru my High-Q back into the bottom of the egg, maybe to a depth of an inch or so. As soon as the lump above starts, pieces of coals fall through and the whole thing slowly burns. The ash goes in the garden, much like the advice from the Whiz....
    Waste not want not, even if I am a Lump Ho. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I try using it up evenly with the rest of the bag.  Don't sort.   Like @Carolina_Q
    Options
    I burn it all and throw only the ashes away.. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I throw them back in the bag, so they can grow up and become bigger pieces of lump... just in case the charcoal warden is looking :D

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I don't have a lump storage bin, but when I'm cleaning out the egg, I throw away the little pieces.  Lump is cheap compared to meat.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    I sift the ashes and small pieces I remove from the bottom through a 1/4" hardware cloth sieve I made and add the pieces that don't fall through back to the top of my next cook. I have a high-que grate.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Throw them in my neighbors yard, he still thinks it rains lump.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Use Ozark Oak... Duh
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Mix em in with the big and medium stuff. Ya payed for it, might as well use it.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Squeeze it in my fist for a few minutes and then give my wife a diamond

;)

Actually if the lump is really small I just throw it out with the dust in the bottom; but I don't freak out if it ends up in the egg, burns just like the rest of it
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

I use it all, just toss small pieces in on top of whatever is left.

I clean ashes out with a Shop-Vac with a piece of PCP attached to get into the bottom vent.  Any pieces large enough to plug up a 1/2 inch pipe, I just toss into the egg.  Small enough to get into the Vac, they're garbage.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    The dust and small pieces go in my gardens. The charcoal retains moisture and helps break up the clay soil.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Lump makes "HEAT" ---  heat makes BBQ  ---  BBQ makes me happy  ---   i burn mine up!
  • onesaxplayer
    Options
    I draw pictures with it :)). Actually I use it up in my Weber because that rig can deal with smaller pieces better than the egg, IMHO.
    When you get to a fork in the road, pick it up, spear something with it and throw it on the grill!!!
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    Never have sorted lump and always dump straight from the bag. Low and slows have always been a success and I have yet to have a fire go out.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I throw them in my oyster bucket that is also where my ash goes. Then my dog eats it and I get mad when she pukes it up at night. Then the next time I clean the egg out the cycles starts over after I say I won't put it in there again.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

I dump the fines and dust into a 5 gallon bucket with a lid.  When fireplace season rolls around, I place a few cups in the bottom of each fire.....excellent ignition aid.

One of my customers was telling me about using them in gardening.  Google "bio-char".

• cajunduck
    cajunduck Posts: 203
    Options
    Put it on top of the bigger lump. "Recycle"
    Geaux Tigers!! West Monroe, Louisiana
  • ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Use them for christmas presents for the kids who were only a little bad for through the year.
    I just throw it in, it should burn up quick.
    Brampton, Ontario

• dajogejr
    dajogejr Posts: 12
    Options
    I give them to my neighbor to burn in their outdoor fire pit as a starter.