Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Okay Floridians

Comments

• @foghorn have you noticed how many great sentences begin with "The farther away you get from Orlando " :))

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Orlando isn't wonderful in the summer time but we don't have to shovel it! ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    GrannyX4 said:

Orlando isn't wonderful in the summer time but we don't have to shovel it! ;;)

When is the best time to come?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • GrannyX4
    Spring before spring break. Fall after labor day and before thanksgiving.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    If you want some variety, the Mid Way airboat rides and http://www.jungleadventures.com/ both on SR 50 at the St.Johns river are fun.  If you've never seen big gators, this is worth at least one trip.

Very near by is Fort Christmas, which is in no way a theme park, and could be a nice break.

https://plus.google.com/112710478495170004994/about?gl=us&hl=en

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Key West!  Oh wait, you got kids.... :(
    The only thing good about Key West is saying you've been there.  About as touristy as Disney.  Now a fishing charter out of Islamorada is a wonderful thing.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

The only thing good about Key West is saying you've been there.  About as touristy as Disney.  Now a fishing charter out of Islamorada is a wonderful thing.
    blasphemy!  And I've never been to disney.  They have Fantasy Fest.

@foghorn have you noticed how many great sentences begin with "The farther away you get from Orlando " :))

I have now. To those of us who were there before Disney it is depressing.

In the 80s I became aware how out of control it was when I was informed that the two busiest McDonalds in the world and the two busiest Pizza Huts in the world were all on International Drive near Disney.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• cazzy
    Eh, right time, wrong time, we're going to have a great time. It isn't the first time we've gone in August. We're from Texas, so we're used to the heat.

• Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    cazzy said:
    The family and I will be coming your way in August and wanted to find out if there are any worthy BBQ spots in or near Orlando.  Doing the typical theme park thing and we may visit another part of Florida too.  With that, what other family friendly spots would you recommend us to visit?  

Oh, the wifey and I are traveling with a 14 and 3 year old.
    Uncle Kenny's in Clermont, FL.
    4 Rivers in Winter Garden or Winter Park.  Get there a little early the line is usually long.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    We are an hour east near Poolman.. Let us know if y'all head towards the beach, we can all meet up somewhere for dinner (like, Poolman's house). ;) Regarding Orlando BBQ, I recently ate at 4 Rivers Smokehouse, it was pretty tasty! http://4rsmokehouse.com
    I was going to mention 4 Rivers.  It's a little far (north) of the attractions area, but 4 Rivers has an almost cult-like following in the Orlando area.  Granted, their food is good...but IMO, it's not good enough to form a line around the building at lunch time (which is often the reality).  Maybe I'm spoiled with my BGE.  I was at another (much pricier place) recently, and I think the waiter was offended when I didn't order their baby back ribs, saying "I cook better ribs at home."
  • GrannyX4
    cazzy said:
    Eh, right time, wrong time, we're going to have a great time. It isn't the first time we've gone in August. We're from Texas, so we're used to the heat.

I get the Grands for spring break and a week in the summer and we find the summers the hardest to find something to do with the kids because of the heat. Mainly because we have a melt down first before the kids. Enjoy your trip to Florida and make great memories. ;;)
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I haven't read all the posts, and this has probably been said already.

Why are you looking for BBQ in Florida?  You should be looking for seafood.  To me, it's like going to a Chinese restaurant and ordering a hamburger and french fries.  
    [-X

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• cazzy

I haven't read all the posts, and this has probably been said already.

Why are you looking for BBQ in Florida?  You should be looking for seafood.  To me, it's like going to a Chinese restaurant and ordering a hamburger and french fries.  
    [-X
    I already got great seafood recommendations from my fly fishing forum.

To me, it's like going to a Harley forum and asking for a advice on which Vespa to buy. [-X
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    If you want some variety, the Mid Way airboat rides and http://www.jungleadventures.com/ both on SR 50 at the St.Johns river are fun.  If you've never seen big gators, this is worth at least one trip.

Another great place for airpboat rides is Lone Cabbage Fish Camp:  http://twisterairboatrides.com/
    The Fish Camp is located on 520 (the road that connects Orlando the the beaches).   I like to go there on Sundays for live music and for the gator tail, frog legs, turtle and catfish.  
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    cazzy said:
    The family and I will be coming your way in August and wanted to find out if there are any worthy BBQ spots in or near Orlando.  Doing the typical theme park thing and we may visit another part of Florida too.  With that, what other family friendly spots would you recommend us to visit?  

Oh, the wifey and I are traveling with a 14 and 3 year old.
    Uncle Kenny's in Clermont, FL.
    4 Rivers in Winter Garden or Winter Park.  Get there a little early the line is usually long.
    I thought 4 Rivers in Winter Park was pretty good, and they let me play my concertina at the outdoor seating
    :))

• If you go towards the Space Coast (NASA, yadda yadda yadda), make sure to stop in at Dixie Crossroads in Titusville.  It's a couple miles east of I-95.  Great local seafood.  Try the rock shrimp.   Shorts n T-shirts are fine.   
    Quit giving away our secrets ;)
  • Doc_Eggerton
    edited June 2013
    If you go towards the Space Coast (NASA, yadda yadda yadda), make sure to stop in at Dixie Crossroads in Titusville.  It's a couple miles east of I-95.  Great local seafood.  Try the rock shrimp.   Shorts n T-shirts are fine.   
    Quit giving away our secrets ;)
    Or not unless you like over priced and under served, and I live about 4 miles away from them and used to work for Rodney Thompson.

BTW, the Pinch A Penny about a mile west of the restaurant just became a BGE dealer.

• cazzy
    Lots of great info in this thread! Thanks everyone!
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    I would go to Grills at Port Canaveral before I would eat at Dixie Crossroads.  Back in the early days Dixie Crossroads use to be the place for seafood but something changed and the quality dropped off. I only eat there now if visiting family or friends just have to go because they heard so much about it. Usually try to steer them to Grills.  
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    I would go to Grills at Port Canaveral before I would eat at Dixie Crossroads.  Back in the early days Dixie Crossroads use to be the place for seafood but something changed and the quality dropped off. I only eat there now if visiting family or friends just have to go because they heard so much about it. Usually try to steer them to Grills.  
    Exactamundo

• I used to live in Orlando and attend Corvette events on the coast, didn't realize the quality had gone down so much :(
  • GrannyX4
    @Cazzy said "I already got great seafood recommendations from my fly fishing forum." Just curious what they recommended ? Do you mind sharing? ;;)
  • Doc_Eggerton
    I used to live in Orlando and attend Corvette events on the coast, didn't realize the quality had gone down so much :(
    I've never been to Corky Bell's on US1 toward Coco, don't know how it is, but you can usually get something good at the port.

• cazzy
    GrannyX4 said:

@Cazzy said "I already got great seafood recommendations from my fly fishing forum."

Just curious what they recommended ? Do you mind sharing? ;;)

I was being a smart ass to VI and forgot the appropriate smiley.

I unfortunately don't have the patience for fishing.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    You couldn't pay us to go to an amusement park in Orlando in August. You'll be programmed to wait in line 30-45 minutes for a two minute 'attraction' before spending the next 10-15 minutes hurrying over to the next one. You can do about eight of these in a day (for a total of about 15-20 minutes of 'experience') before the disillusionment starts to set in with the heat. The whole time (Disney especially) will have their hand shamelessly in your pocket at every opportunity (it's not Walt's Disney anymore). Soon everybody just wants to go back to the hotel and play in the atrium. 

After the third day get a bag of charcoal, a bottle of Italian dressing, a big baggie, some boneless skinless chicken along with a cooler full of ice and drinks and the family. Marinate the chicken in the baggie while you head to Alexander Springs in Ocala N.F. There you can grill chicken and swim and snorkel in the cool clear water in heat all day and enjoy every minute, even get to RELAX. 
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Only good thing in Orlando is bass pro, zaxby's and I-4 west to go back home.
    Dunedin, FL
  • cazzy
    edited June 2013
    Man...I guess we should just cancel our trip then... :-S

Lol
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Not cue but a trip to Otown is not complete without visiting Tasty Wok. Great Chunese very reasonable. Love pan fried noodles, salt & pepper calamari, roast pork, roast duck. Primo is great fine dining. Antony's Coal Fired Pizza great pie & craft brews,