Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Grill Extender Is Here!!

Thanks so much, @Eggcelsior & @MrCookingNurse!! You guys rock!

Cooked @Cazzy's wings along with Asian Coconut Rice, cucumber salsa, and veggies.
·

Comments

• MrossMross Posts: 335
    Give us the dirt. How did it work? Grid size etc.
    Duncan, SC
    ·
  • dawsonhulldawsonhull Posts: 105
    Used the medium BGE SS grid, put together no time. Swings perfectly and doesn't droop down at all, although wings aren't heavy.

First time cooking with two grids, so that was somewhat of a learning experience. Wings on bottom cooked a good bit faster than those on top. Maybe I should've done indirect...

I've done so much raised direct (using firebricks) lately that I've just about forgotten what it's like to cook on top of the fire ring!! Things cook a lot faster that close to the fire!

But other than that, it worked just as I expected! The other lesson I learned is to not try to swing out a hot top grid with your bare hands. OUCH!
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,306
    Amazing man! glad to see it in action!! 

You can use a large grid if just going direct, but the medium grid fits up in the dome with the ps.

XLBGE 
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,244
    looks like yo nailed them!!  :)  So what did you think?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
    ·
  • SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 702
    Right on!  Can't wait to get mine.
    Centennial, CO
    Unless I'm hunting, then Lord knows where.
    ·
  • CAT SellerCAT Seller Posts: 205
    I have not even received mine yet, and i am ready for another group buy....what is next?
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
    ·
    Delicious wings! This one will be repeated, for sure! One question though, I noted that you used the AR for the cook. If you didn't have that, would you go raised direct or indirect?
    ·
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,024
    Excited for mine to come.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·

Delicious wings! This one will be repeated, for sure! One question though, I noted that you used the AR for the cook. If you didn't have that, would you go raised direct or indirect?

Hmm, do you have a platesetter?
    ·
    Yes - in fact, I put it in halfway through the cook. Next time, I may just have that in there from the start. Without it, I didn't have a place to put a drip pan. Mr. Egg is a mess right now - will probably need to do a clean burn soon.
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,063
    Nice! Does the platesetter and grate extender setup fit all together? I wouldn't have thought that the lid would close. I don't have a platesetter, so I can't test it out.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
    It fit just fine - I had the medium grid on top. A lot better than my old soda cans! I've been using the same sprite cans for months!!
    ·
  • MrossMross Posts: 335
    If my extender does not make by Friday can I borrow your soda cans? Lol
    Duncan, SC
    ·
  • CharlieTNCharlieTN Posts: 177
    Looks great. Got mine today and can't wait to use it.  Can definitely see this being a great addition.
    ·
    Believe it or not, I went out and bought sprite specifically to do raised grid cooking! Very sad, I know... We just don't drink that much soda!
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,292
    Believe it or not, I went out and bought sprite specifically to do raised grid cooking! Very sad, I know... We just don't drink that much soda!

Been there i had to go buy heinekens cans because we only drink out of bottles
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,145
    Nice, can't wait to get mine. Thanks for sharing (or was that gloating 'cause you have yours already)
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Yeah, I kinda detected a little "Na, na, na ,na na, naaaaaaa!"

Just kidding.  Nice looking cook!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
    Yes - in fact, I put it in halfway through the cook. Next time, I may just have that in there from the start. Without it, I didn't have a place to put a drip pan. Mr. Egg is a mess right now - will probably need to do a clean burn soon.
    Yeah, until you get your AR, I would use the plate setter because a drip pan is a must.  For the mess and also because the marinade dripping on the hot lump gives off a weird smell that can work it's way into the wings.

I normally use the AR with a drip pan, no stone.
    ·
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,779
    Can't wait for mine to show up.
    ·
  • bo_mullbo_mull Posts: 336
    Got mine today, now i gotta find a grate..

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

·
  • SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,284
    In the pic the top grid swings out over the seal so that caught my eye. Looks like you want to account for 'drippage' on the seal, down the sides of the Egg, and the floor. Would like to know how that works out, looks like only drawback from here. Enjoy!
    ·
  • r270bar270ba Posts: 763
    I am sorry but I missed this… Did you say you had an XL with a medium grid on top?

Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

·
  • bbqlearnerbbqlearner Posts: 739
    Looks great. Mine arrived yesterday as well so looking forward to use it soon.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

·
    @r270ba It's actually a large with the medium grid on top.
    ·
    @stevewpbfl It was kind of messy. Mainly because I was baisting wings and they kept dripping. For other cooks it would probably be fine.
    ·
  • Just got mine today too! Taking it to the beach with my large this weekend. 

·
    @stevewpbfl It was kind of messy. Mainly because I was baisting wings and they kept dripping. For other cooks it would probably be fine.
    I agree, for most cooks, it will be fine.  That d-bag's wings you made, you layer on the flavor so you get a lot of marinade that runs off.  A drip pan would fix it.
    ·
  • HDmstngHDmstng Posts: 163
    A shallow pan the diameter of the upper grid attached underneath with baling wire should work.
    ·
  • Got mine today.  Gonna do some wings either Sunday or early next week to test it out.  Using a spare Weber 13" grid first; I'll order something more substantial for when I need to do more "weighty" cooks.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
    ·