Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

temperature

Options
I have been using my 'egg' for only a few weeks and can not seem to shut off the air supply.  I close down the bottom vent as well as the top adjustment, but can not get it to completely cool down.  This weekend after using it sat. pm I still found warm coals and after lifting the top temp went up to 350.  Am I doing something wrong?  Just appear that it is sealing properly.  Any suggestion of thoughts?  Thanks,  fstedy;

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    It takes hours for an egg to cool down.  The mass of the ceramic takes that long even after the fire is snuffed out. So, the real questions are 1) Do you see air leaks (smoke) after you close things down and 2) Do you burn through much charcoal after you close things down?  If the answer to either question is "yes" then you need to trouble-shoot for an air leak.  Others can better help you with that.  If the answer to both questions is "no" then you just have a big heavy hunk of hot ceramic that will take a long time to cool down.  That's what makes it so effective and fuel-efficient on long cooks - but it comes at the price of being slow to cool.  That's why overshooting your target temperature should be avoided.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    @Fstedy02 - How long after Saturday's cook did you find the warm coals? If it was today then it definitely sounds like you still getting some airflow.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I know my Egg is air tight when I close everything down. After I close the bottom vent and then put on the ceramic cap the egg kind of "jumps." I guess this is from the gasses trying to escape and the pressure pushes up the lid and "burps" itself.. Pretty cool if you ask me lol
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • jimfastcar
    jimfastcar Posts: 88
    Options
    From 400 to cool took about 6 hrs yesterday. It was also around 28 C in the Toronto area
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    From 400 to cool took about 6 hrs yesterday. It was also around 28 C in the Toronto area
    82 F (for those that can't do the conversion). It was a beautiful day, although, a bit on the humid side.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    If you use the rain cap, close the bottom vent, the egg will snuff very quickly. depending on how long it was at 400, it can take anywhere from a couple of hours to 4 or 5 hours to cool to ambient. If it is full of setter, drip pans, grids it will take even longer to cool. 
    If you have coals after an hour or two, it is getting air somewhere. Some have used left over gasket material to snug the rain cap to both make it airtight and to keep it from jumping off and committing suicide. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Options
    Also, are you just closing the daisy wheel cap, or are you putting on the ceramic cap to snuff out the fire.  As i understand it the daisy wheel closed will still let just enough air in to keep embers going.  Ceramic cap is the way to go.
    Pentwater, MI