Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick or Thermapen: Pick Only One

yzzi
yzzi Posts: 1,843
Let's have a nice healthy debate over which one you'd rather have if you could have only one. Please include what foods you cook the most.
Dunedin, FL

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    As much as I hate to select just one, it would have to be the Thermapen.  As far as cooks I'm all over the board between grilling and low and slows.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • yzzi
    I have both and love both differently but I'd rather have the maverick as I do mostly low and slow, indirect cooks and roasts.

Even when doing steaks reverse sear I like using the maverick to get an idea what my internal temp is while monitoring the grid temp from inside. I use thermapen for fine tuning but the maverick tells me when to start checking.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited April 2013
    Thermapen hands down. 

I do not have a Maverick and do not need one, but a maverick isn't going to help you very much when you sear a steak right above the coals and need to check 4 of them as fast as you can before they turn into hockey pucks. I used the thermapen to check the oil in my wok last night for some Calamari and use it for checking water temp for tea all the time (as well as almost every cook). You can also check multiple wings in seconds if you want to make sure they are done. I use it for chicken, turkey, tri-tips, steak, burgers, and of course to see when my brisket and pork butts are done.  

Mavericks also can be problematic when you are doing direct cooks (which is most of what I do)  I prefer to be on the back porch when I am egging but if you live in a climate where that isn't always possible a remote thermometer like the maverick could be very handy. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • sticks88
    sticks88 Posts: 94
    I just bought a Weber 6491 which is thier insta read thermometer, dealer says it's supposed to be just as good at half the price...we'll see.

XL BGE and Pellet smoker

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Thermapen.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082
    Okay-I think that each type thermo has its preferred operational environment.  If you want instant read where the rate of meat temperature change is quite quick (hot&fast cook) then the thermopen or an instant read thermo is the tool of choice.  If you are monitoring a low&slow (as @yzzi mentions) then the ability to observe the whole cook with a maverick or equivalent takes on a higher level of importance than the instant read.  The rate of temperature change as you finish up a low&slow is not critical to the final outcome.  Different tools for different cooks.  Both have their place in my opinion.  And we all know what those are worth :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Although both are great and have purpose I believe the thermopen is the better choice, for me, for everyday use indoors as well as out.

I only think this because the only con I can come up with for the thermopen is that it will not wake me up for an overnight cook temp change. ((side note) I control temp manually and rely on the maverick for overnights)

I have both and love both but 90% of my cooks are everyday medium-hot cooks when I need a fast and accurate meat temp reading.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Thermapen gets ten times the use as any other of my temperature monitors -- INCLUDING checking the other temperature monitor's accuracy!
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    What will you do cooking? lots of low and slow/ or a mix? They really are 2 different simialr tools. Think meat cleaver, and filet knife. Similar, but different. 
    For me, I vote thermapen. Yes more expensive, yes there are cheaper, but they take longer... But I use it for  the egg, and the wife and I both use it cooking indoors. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I have both and would pick the thermapen without reservation.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Thermopen because I use it every day. Not just for egg cooks. Used it last night to measure water temp before I put active yeast in it. Great tool. Plus I like checking temp of meat in a few seconds as opposed to burning my hand waiting for an accurate read on far less superior IR thermometers.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    lousubcap said:
    Okay-I think that each type thermo has its preferred operational environment.  If you want instant read where the rate of meat temperature change is quite quick (hot&fast cook) then the thermopen or an instant read thermo is the tool of choice.  If you are monitoring a low&slow (as @yzzi mentions) then the ability to observe the whole cook with a maverick or equivalent takes on a higher level of importance than the instant read.  The rate of temperature change as you finish up a low&slow is not critical to the final outcome.  Different tools for different cooks.  Both have their place in my opinion.  And we all know what those are worth :)
    This is the answer - like the question, would you like a fork or a spoon? Soup will best be consumed with a spoon, it is very difficult with a fork. Depends on the use. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!

• I have both and love both differently but I'd rather have the maverick as I do mostly low and slow, indirect cooks and roasts. Even when doing steaks reverse sear I like using the maverick to get an idea what my internal temp is while monitoring the grid temp from inside. I use Thermapen for fine tuning but the maverick tells me when to start checking.

>:D<

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Please clarify. Maverick instant read or Maverick remote?

If instant read, I'd be tempted, but Thermapen has a very good track record. I'm completely satisfied w. mine.

The Maverick remote was very useful to me when I first got my Egg, but within 6 months I no longer found it a necessity. Whereas I've used the Thermapen continuously for everything I cook.

Really, just about everything. Even stuff reheat in the 'wave, so I can check if its up to safe temp.
  • yzzi
    @gdenby Maverick remote or another thermometer of the same type.

@skiddymarker need a spork. Perhaps we should urge a joint venture to create a mix between the freedoms of a Maverick with the accuracy and versatility of a thermapen
    Dunedin, FL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @yzzi - so true, a spork or a foon is needed! "a mix between the freedoms of a Maverick with the accuracy and versatility of a thermapen" is needed. It would be nice if Thermoworks could add the wireless option for under $50 and I would be willing to pay $50 more for an 8060 with remote features. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    sticks88 said:
    I just bought a Weber 6491 which is thier insta read thermometer, dealer says it's supposed to be just as good at half the price...we'll see.
    Been there done that.  It's cheaper for a reason.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited April 2013
    I have them both, plus a Stoker. I'd keep my Thermapen over both of em.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • sticks88
    sticks88 Posts: 94
    Bowhunr could you explain please

XL BGE and Pellet smoker

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942

I have both and it's not even close --- Themapen.  I use the themapen on almost every cook.  It's a must have.  The maverick is great but it's just a "nice to have".
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited April 2013
    sticks88 said:

Bowhunr could you explain please

FWIW, over the years i've had a dozen different "instant read" thermometers.
    Thermapen has beaten them all. Both for speed and durability. A 3 second difference is a whole lot with a high heat grill going.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I didn't read evey comment but I think @skiddymarker hit the nail on the head, these serve two completely different purposes. Really depends on what im cooking. I use my thermopen every cook almost, but those long cooks not having to get up and see what the egg says because the maverick is watching would be missed.

XLBGE 
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    yzzi said:
    Let's have a nice healthy debate over which one you'd rather have if you could have only one. Please include what foods you cook the most.
    Thats like asking if you'd rather have a plate setter or cast iron cooking grid.  Assuming by Maverick, you mean one of their dual probe remote thermometers.  Both the Maverick and the Thermapen are thermometers, but for very different uses. 

If you mostly do low and slows, the Maverick makes sense.  If you mostly do fast steak cooks, the Maverick is pointless.

Even for low and slows, I'm using the Maverick less than I might, because I'm annoyed by / worried about the probes going bad.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I have the new maverpen and the thermavrick... Both are good.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    It appears that everyone either avoided the question or answered thermapen. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    thermapen
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    njl said:
    Even for low and slows, I'm using the Maverick less than I might, because I'm annoyed by / worried about the probes going bad.
    Yeah, that is how I feel about my car's brakes.

Gerhard
  • Arbucklej
    Arbucklej Posts: 90
    I have both and the thermapen wins hands down. I love the maverick for low and slows on the weekends but typicallly do quick cooks during the week.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Thermapen.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Own both. Thermapen wins. Maverick serves a purpose, but it wakes me every 2 hours.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life