Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nice weekend rib cook. Spring is finally here!

Options
YEMTrey
YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
Got a couple slabs of baby backs courtesy of Fresh Markets BOGO deal.
Byron's Butt Rub and on the Egg. Brushed with Bone Suckin Sauce throughout the cook. Even tried a fudge brownie in a cast iron on the Egg as well. I need to get a table built asap!
Ribs turned out amazing. One of my favorite cooks!
Steve 
XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Very nice! I see that you may be trying out my "egging with the sprinkler" on idea!

Like Smokey says, "only you can prevent fires of wood that was formerly part of a forest".

How did the brownies turn out?
  • YEMTrey
    Options
    I never got to the brownie, lol.  It was a christmas present from my MIL.  It was a brownie kit with the mix and a small cast iron pan. 
    It was a ribs and beer night for me.  I'm sure the wife and daughter will make brownie sundaes out of it shortly sometime this week.

Now that I think about it, we had au gratin potatoes with the ribs.  I should have put those on the Egg as well.
    Steve 

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Nice looking ribs. I cooked ribs too :))

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Nice. Perfect weekend for cooking on the Egg (at least it was here) So you did the brownies on the Eggg, too? Tell us how they turned out when you try them.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Looks good and yes, brownies are always good, with or without ribs. 
    You could have done the au gratins on the egg, indirect at 400 or so. Learned to stack the potato slices on an angle from a German friend, big difference in how the sauce distributes and how they cook. Can't find the finished pic. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • YEMTrey
    Options
    Thanks for that info and pics Skiddy!
    Steve 

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Looks great! Ribs are always a favorite around here!  =P~
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    edited April 2013
    Options
    @Skiddymarker any chance I could get a little more detail on the recipe for the au gratin potatoes? Only way I've had them has been out of a box  :-S , so I would love to try some real ones!

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2013
    Options
    @dpittard - Absolutely, be honoured to share. I work in metric, but this includes US measure. Four spuds fills my 11" cast iron skillet. Canadian cheddar is different than US cheddar, our medium is more like a typical US sharp cheddar. 

700 grams (1-1/2 pounds) potatoes (about 4 medium)

40ml Salted butter (2-1/2 Tbs), if using unsalted butter add 2.5ml (1/2tsp) salt

45ml Flour (3Tbs)

400ml milk (1-2/3 cups)

1 garlic clove crushed 

250ml (1 cup) American sharp cheddar cheese shredded, if using Canadian cheese, use mild or medium cheddar. 

15ml Parma/Romano finely shredded (1Tbs)

Arrange peeled and sliced potatoes in well greased pan (Crisco) or cast iron skillet like roof tiles, on an angle. 

In saucepan, over medium high heat, melt butter and add salt if required, saute onion/shallot if using, stir in flour (making a roux), slowly add milk to almost boil. Add garlic and cheese. Once melted, pour over potatoes. Sprinkle Parma/Romano on top.

Bake at 400F for 1 to 1-1/2 hours until top is golden brown and potatoes are tender. Let rest for five minutes and serve. 

Onion powder can be added to the roux or before adding the flour, or saute fresh finely chopped 1/4 small onion or 2 shallots in the butter. 

Have made these with lots of different twists. Once used 15ml (1Tbs) cajun seasoning, I liked it but the kids were not too happy. Also tried about 60ml (1/4 cup) bacon bits - everything is better with bacon.  Good luck!

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Hmmm... German friend puts Gratin potatoes at an angle, changing the classic french dish?

Those crazy Germans are always finding ways to screw with the French. 

Potatoes au gratin? More like Potatoes au Maginot Line.
  • dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    Options
    @Skiddymarker Thanks!  These will probably be on the menu after my Egg arrives!

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.