Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't get temp up.

Options
GK59
GK59 Posts: 501
edited August 2012 in Cookbook

Did pizza again today. Only problem was I could not get temp above 350* for the lonest time . Added some briquettes to try and raise temp quick.Maxed out at 400*

The egg was in the rain for almost 3 days . Early this afternoon I pulled rings and cleaned out very damp ash. Started a small fire and let that burn for almost 3 hours. Added more lump , PS and pizza stone . Vent wide open and top off. Took over an hour to get from 350 to 400* after adding coals between pizzas.

1st pizza was on 35 minutes 2nd about 30. Neither one had a  crust to my liking. I also noticed that there was small yellow looking droplets bleeding at the chimney then later from the whole dome.

Any ideas???

Thanks ahead of time

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Sounds like it was almost submerged, just how heavy was the rain, was it left open or did it have the rain cap on?
    Not sure about the yellow drops, but could it be the water being driven off the ceramic and picking up some fat/residue from deep in the dome?

Not an expert, but seems to me you might want to have a load of fresh lump, almost full firebox, take it up to 500F or so and leave it there 'till it runs out. See if that dries her out.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Also make sure that your plate isnt clogged. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    Also make sure that your plate isnt clogged. 
    +1  Some people don't stir the old lump and unplug the grate holes before they start the next cook and just add new lump.  The holes on any BGE other than an XL are really small and clog up easily.  99% of the time - not hot enough, bad airflow.  Other thought would be really wet or bad lump.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• GK59
    Options

Lit a bunch of briquettes at noon today to dry out some more.

We had lots of rain. I think about 10" over the last 72 hours.White caps on some of the farm fields on Friday.  Over  8" in one 24 hr period. 

Got it up to 625* .Used my leaf blower after cutting the lawn and ran it up to 675*. Dampered it back to 400* now at 3pm. 

Doing pork chops with raspberry balsamic for supper. I think I got it dried out. Yesterdays pizzas sucked.

Just not a happy cook when company is over and food comes out crappy. Thank God for Manhattans.

I think I'll have another.  Go Tigers!

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Mazzdog
    Mazzdog Posts: 44
    Options
    I get the yellow droplets also. Did you ever figure that out? Got me nervous I thought I was the only one until I found this post
  • chris123stock
    Options
    Mazzdog said:
    I get the yellow droplets also. Did you ever figure that out? Got me nervous I thought I was the only one until I found this post
    Have you seen your physician =)) :-O
  • RoundTowner
    RoundTowner Posts: 125
    Options
    That's what she said!! =))
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    It's got to be an airflow problem. Why did you let a fire burn for 3 hrs in there after cleaning it? I think if you cleaned everything out the egg should be able to get up to 500+ within half an hour - that has always been my experience.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I agree that it was an airflow problem and the dripping off the dome is a direct result from this.  The dripping is condensation on the cooler dome dripping back and the only way to get past that is to get some real heat going.  If you have enough good fuel and you are not getting heat it has to be lack of air.  I use the egg all winter and on colder days you have to let the egg warm up a little longer without the platesetter or else I have the condensation issue as well.

Gerhard

P.S. I think you should ditch the briquets the will just plug the air flow holes with crap.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Added some briquettes to try and raise temp quick.Maxed out at 400*

Did you say briquettes?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GK59
    Options

That I did say the B-word. I had some leftover from being on vacation . I used them to get rid of. Anyway it did take a few buns to get all that moisture  driven out. I make it a point if any rain is in the forcast to cover the egg up.

I'm also building a new table and will try to reuse my old boat cockpit cover as a new cover .

I learned my lesson.

Bill

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I would remove the guts of the egg to see if there some damp compacted ash back there too. 9 time out of 10 low temp is a result of air flow issues. The other 10% is wet lump/damp egg. Hope you got it fixed.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    briquettes don't damage the egg (unless they're "match-light"), but they don't burn as hot as lump and they're loaded with binder/fillers that clog up the air flow. 

I've used them in a pinch before.
    Options
    I've had this happen... put a heat gun or blow dryer in the bottom vent and push some air through. be careful with the plastic...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I have heard there is a pill you can give your egg to get it up....Vieggra... Just ask @Mickey. He is their spokesman.... :)>-
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • GK59
    Options

To pipe in again, it wasn't an airflow problem. Due to the amount of rain we had at that time I do believe it just became over saturated with water/ moisture. It just needed time to dry out.

Keep the egg covered in inclement weather.

Bill

PS . Vieggra! What a grin

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Is it possible the lump also got wet?  Lump is very hygroscopic (readily absorbs water, including humidity). 

Here's some cool info on lump for you science nerds. 
    Options
    We were fishing in GA and somebody left lump in the back of a pickup before a thunderstorm. Lump worked fine. I have used briquettes too but you can't get real hot with them.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    My egg sits outside rain or shine and I can't say that I have ever experienced your problem.  

Gerhard
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.