Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Different Wings

I usually marinate wings.  These were dusted with Dizzy Pig at the last moment.  Pretty darned good.

Indirect at 400 for 35 minutes.

No on the plate pics, because we fell on them like raving Tasmanian Devils

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Looks great -- high in the dome - they look crispy...
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Doc, same response as every night of the week. Looks solid.

Starting to think I am one of only ones on forum that breaks my wings down.

Do most keep them whole???
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    strong cook doc, I said strong cause chubbs already took my usual solid!

@chubbs, I leave the whole ones whole, but usually buy them already separated or just drummies. It's just me so I dont cook a ton, wife doesnt eat them and the baby aint ready for that yet! 

XLBGE 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I never break them apart, and I never do any frying either.  They are not quite restaurant wings, but I don't care.

A very fond memory of mine is living in Oxnard California.  Long before wings were hot wings. Then they were just cheap throw away chicken.  In our neighborhood any kid could drop in on a family grill, and every one did wings to give away to the kids.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2013
    Doc could you tell any difference between them and the marinated wings? I have never marinated wings.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Doc_Eggerton
    edited March 2013
    Mickey said:
    Doc could you tell any difference between them and the marinated wings? I have never marinated wings.
    Yes, I really like the flavor of the marinated ones, but the texture was better on the rubbed ones.

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    No on the plate pics, because we fell on them like raving Tasmanian Devils

=))
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited March 2013
    Looks great as always. I like to marinate wings on the egg but just throwing some rub are really good to. I did 20 lbs of wings for the super bowl and did two flavors sticky marinated and two with some dizzy pig. It was just about even the reviews I got from everyone so for parties I make a batch of both. I usually buy them already broken down. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Another great looking cook Doc, which Dizzy Pig did you use
    @Chubbs you are not alone, I like them broken down too!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    @chubbs @smokindawg82 I used to break my wings down I have stopped.  I don't think they are necessarily better that way...they are just much less time consuming to prepare.  If I had to say which was better, whole or broken down, I would say that the whole almost seem more tender (that could just be my imagination).
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Simple and delicious as usual Doc. Nicely done.

I hate breaking down wings and would prefer to just throw them on, but the wife doesn't like it that way. She likes the drummies and not the flats. Me, I'll eat 'em both. Lately, the only ones I find are broken down already.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Great cook as always-and I'm in the break-down the wing camp.  Pretty easy to do and if trying a couple of different cook flavors then I do drumettes with one and flats with the other.  Even after several supervisory adult beverages I can keep it sorted out. :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Works well for us. I like drummies and wife likes flats. Somewthing tells me SWMBO would look at me funny if I knawed on the drummie portion, then passed to her half eaten for her to nail the flat. So I break them down.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Doc_Eggerton

Another great looking cook Doc, which Dizzy Pig did you use
    @Chubbs you are not alone, I like them broken down too!
    Dizzy Dust.  This was indeed a different wing cook for me.  Rubbed and done indirect, and I really like the results.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Chubbs said:
    Works well for us. I like drummies and wife likes flats. Somewthing tells me SWMBO would look at me funny if I knawed on the drummie portion, then passed to her half eaten for her to nail the flat. So I break them down.
    Only use drummers and flappers, they always seem to come "broken down", in our house just the opposite, I like the flappers, SWMBO likes drummers. 
    As always, great cook Doc!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Wings look great, Doc.  I think you do get a better texture when there is no liquid involved.  Still, my families favorite so far is a wet n' saucy wing.  

In my experience, I find the wings to be a little juicier when you leave them whole.  This could be my imagination...or I just happened to get luckier and get some juicier chicken when I left them whole.   I'll take them either way though.  Last time I compromised and only cut of the tips so I could fit more in a zip-loc bag and shake on some seasoning. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Charlie tuna
    I have never brined my chicken wings and enjoy them cooked crispy high in the dome.  Just lately i discovered a major improvement on my Spatchcocked chicken by brining.  I am on the hunt for some wings for a test on "brined chicken wings"!!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @CharlieTuna - never brined wings, but then they are so full of fat, I wonder if it would make a difference? Let us know what you discover. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    I brined these. 350-400 raised direct. About an hour. For the sauce I used Bone Suckin Sauce and added some Frank's hot sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, honey, butter, red pepper flakes and a cherry pomegranate habanero sauce (from Rothchild Farms) Delicious!!!
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Charlie tuna
    Very nice - they look great!
  • WiltOnTilt
    WiltOnTilt Posts: 102
    Great looking wings!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

Chubbs said:

Only use drummers and flappers, they always seem to come "broken down", in our house just the opposite, I like the flappers, SWMBO likes drummers. 
    As always, great cook Doc!

I like both, so does SWMBO. The only issue is she doesn't like to touch them so I feed them to her. Our version of raw oysters, huh?
  • sola
    sola Posts: 118

Dizzy Dust.  This was indeed a different wing cook for me.  Rubbed and done indirect, and I really like the results.

Doc, this is how I cook my wings 90% of the time. I dust them with corn starch. Probably my most consistent cook & least amount of left overs.

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Speaking of "weird wings"  . . . I just found that STUFFED WINGS exist.  I haven't tried them yet as restaurant is 20 minute drive, but figured I would share to see if any of you wild animals would recreate on the egg. . . 

Stuffed Wings ($8.25)

Siem Reap

375 Georgesville Rd., West Side

614-279-2903

Instead of slathering these wild flappers in a volatile sauce, this cute West Side newbie does something far more distinct — it deftly separates their exterior from their deboned interior. Then a fragrant and sausage-y (“larb”-esque), Southeast Asian-style blend is made with the meat, lemongrass and cellophane noodles; it’s laboriously tucked back in, and the whole shebang is dusted in chili powder and expertly fried. These mutant-looking but un-greasy and crazy-great, spicy munchies retain what true foodies love about wings — they’re rife with crispy skin, the best part of chicken — yet add on tons of blindsiding zing.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”