Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recycle Rant

Options
Why is it that I can bring the nastiest greasy old motorcycle motor, or old gasser grill to the metal recycle pile and no one bats an eye, but if I bring a 5 gallon bucket of metal bottle caps, old nails and screws, and tin foil balls a Government official swoops down on me and threatens to ban me.

I detest throwing things in the landfill that are eternal, such as metal, glass, and ceramic.  I guess the definition of recyclable is apparently something I don't understand correctly.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Five gallon bucket of bottle caps! I think you may have a problem other than recycling
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Supercilious_In_5280
    Options
    Oh how I love guvment definitions
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Why is it a problem to recycle those things? I hate it when there are unreasonable restrictions on recycling - makes people disinterested in recycling and then everything just ends up in the trash/landfill.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little Steven
    Options

Doc,

Most metals are recycled if they are in any quantity. I'm in the steel industry and the recycle rate is tremendous

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    We have one recycle drop off in a town of 100k people...i used 3 gal of diesel to recycle a stack of newspaper and 2 bags of plastic.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Our city recycling pickup does not recycle glass. Always thought that was ridiculous.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    Five gallon bucket of bottle caps! I think you may have a problem other than recycling
    I get the joke, but I have been keeping a 5 gallon bucket int the garage and the family had orders to toss in anything metal outside the curbside pickup.  There were beer caps, orange soda caps, nails, screws, odd nuts and bolts, foil balls, you name it.  Took a a couple of months to fill.  I dumped it twice, and the last time got tossed out of the recycle center.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Charlie tuna
    Options
    I lived in a community where this guy came before the city officials and proposed a recycle program for our city??  Said this could save millions of tax dollars!!!  Right, i thought!!  Well the city went with it, and the results were staggering.  The recycle goods paid for the trucks, their upkeep, drivers full salaries, household containers and netted the city MILLIONS of dollars.  I moved and now live in a county that doesn't recycle anything???  WHAT?
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    Come to Seattle ... They even collect food scraps now in the yard waste containers. You have 3 garbage cans a week. I think it's great however trying to convince tenants to recycle at times is a pain. Then there's the guys digging through our dumpsters at properties to steal the recycling to sell especially anything metal. Rant over.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    double said:
    Come to Seattle ... They even collect food scraps now in the yard waste containers. You have 3 garbage cans a week. I think it's great however trying to convince tenants to recycle at times is a pain. Then there's the guys digging through our dumpsters at properties to steal the recycling to sell especially anything metal. Rant over.

Very similar to my city in Ontario. We've had recycling pick up most of my life (33 years old), and recently added the food scraps bin. Even though we have a 3 bag limit, I rarely ever have more than 1 bag of trash, along with my 2 blue recycling bins and 1 green food waste bin. The only ridiculous thing we have is a hazarded waste centre (this part isn't the ridiculous part). But it's only open 1 Saturday a month during the summer months. They make it so difficult to properly dispose of hazardous materials, most hide it in their trash just to get rid of it.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Doc, you and me both. We are allowed to recycle plastic as long as it has a symbol and number on it, except for foam (usually a 6) and clamshells (those boxes that strawberries and donuts come in). Bottle caps, tin foil balls, nails, screws and anything else metal is not to be included as it does not have a valid recycle symbol. 
    We do recycle glass, there is no market for it so they are considering removing glass from the program. 
    I'm running out of room in the garage for all the containers as I sort and wash my garbage. Blue boxes for metal, plastic and glass. Blue bags for newsprint. Yellow bags for cardboard and shiny paper inserts. A pail with lid for green items, yard trimmings and food scraps, including bones. A regular garbage pail for anything not in one of the above. 
    For all of this, my utility tax bill (water sewage and waste) has gone from $125/year to over $915/year over the past 20 years. I can't afford anymore recycling. Rant over - thanks Doc, I feel better!

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
    I'm paying more for my garbage pick up and limited to less garbage and they pick it up every second week now instead of every week because it is suppose to create less garbage. I don't know I don't get it
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    Doc, not sure I understand what their rational is. Metal is metal! What was their problem?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    Metal is metal but aluminum is not stainless steel, I suspect the problem is with identifying and sorting.

Gerhard
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    They apperantly objected to aluminum foil that had (gasp) been in contact with food.  No problem with really greasy old grills which I see all the time in the pile.

• johnkitchens
    Options
    If you can go to a scrap metal recycling yard (not a government recycling center) you will have no problem getting rid of your metal. They will pay you for it. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I don't know much about the recycling process but would have thought that the food residue would vaporize from the heat involved.

Gerhard
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    the problem is that the salvage yards dont want tiny steel scraps. i have a machine shop and they pay good for stainless but they have to be almost forced to take the steel chips. your town recycling is probably having difficulty selling it at any profit
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Some scrap yards don't want to take the small stuff, but a lot of them will. Every yard wants stainless and the chips (turnings) should not be a problem to get rid of either. 

They must not have a lot of competition!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    I work in local government and we operate a landfill, we encourgage as much recycling as possible because it helps extend the life of our landfill and as you can imagine when you try to find a site for a new landfill it is not a very popular topic.  We operate 8 different recycling centers in the county and work with our municipalities in making recycling free for their residents.  It costs us money on the recycling side but the life cycle of the landfill is more important than losing a little bit of money.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Charlie tuna
    Options
    Scrapyards are responsible to keep the different metals separate, they can't mix steel with stainless steel, because the buyer is going to give them a price on the lowest cost per pound item found in a mixed batch.  Aluminum might be $1.50 a pound, and steel fifty cents a pound, but if i bring them a piece of aluminum with steel screws in it, it will be considered "steel"..  Depending on the recycle company, they can have some very sofisticated equipment to separate materials.  If they have enough recyclables this equipment will pay for itself.  I'm guessing it just depends on the size of the community.  Most scrap yards i have dealt with are ripoff artists.. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I like to recycle. The problem lies when rules & government make it such a PITA, people stop recycling & opt for the convenience of the garbage can.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Scrapyards are responsible to keep the different metals separate, they can't mix steel with stainless steel, because the buyer is going to give them a price on the lowest cost per pound item found in a mixed batch.  Aluminum might be $1.50 a pound, and steel fifty cents a pound, but if i bring them a piece of aluminum with steel screws in it, it will be considered "steel"..  Depending on the recycle company, they can have some very sofisticated equipment to separate materials.  If they have enough recyclables this equipment will pay for itself.  I'm guessing it just depends on the size of the community.  Most scrap yards i have dealt with are ripoff artists.. 
    I can understand your point, but our recycle for metal is just a big pile of everything. 

• Charlie tuna
    Options
    The first community i lived in, that got into early recycling, took a while for people to realize the big advantage it was to our tax base.  Once a week, along with the regular garbage pick up, was recyclables day.  At first maybe half the people had an extra container at the curb.  Within two years we had four different containers, and a wheeled dolly to hold them.  We had glass,aluminum,newspaper,cardboard.  I was suprised on how it really reduces the amount of garbage in the weekly pickup.  This was instituted by "Waste Pro", and they publicized the advantages this program gave back to our community.  But like anything, if you don't have the community support - it doesn't work. I went to some of the early community meetings concerning recycling and was doubtful that it would work, but they created a board and the savings went back into the program and the community --  and Waste Pro had less garbage to pick up...    
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    What they take is all market driven.  If there's not a market for it, they don't want it recycled.   We just got city recycling back 5 years after Katrina.  They still don't take glass - no market demand (I guess it's cheaper just to melt down sand than sort it).   No one recycles aluminum foil.  Costs more to process it than to make it from ore.
    in canada they take them back at our beer stores,and send them off to recycle!!!
  • daffy1909
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    i once filled a garbage can!!!!trying to fill it again!!
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Options
    I'm in the scrap metal Recycling business and the mill has yet to develop an efficient way of converting soiled foil into reusable aluminum. Because of if thinness the foil evaporates for lac of a better word when is is put into a smelter hot enough to burn off the food product. Because foil is so thin the indeed needs to be clean and completely void of any contaminants when melted so it can then be stretched into continuos tin sheet. And yes ALL RECYCLING is MARKET DRIVEN!!! If there is a value they will take it.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    A number of years ago, I resolved to live an entire year recycling everything I could and only give the city one trash can for the year.  It was called the "One Man, One Can" project.  Our city's recycling program was really robust - you put everything that wasn't food contaminated into a brown can and they picked it up once a week (no styrofoam - that was a problem for me).  This year, they even expanded to include pizza boxes.

About halfway through the year, I was doing great.  Was dumping my styro off to this guy who made archery targets..  Composting in my back yard.  Had about half a can of trash.  really started seeing the light at the end of the tunnel...

..landlord decided to renovate the house next door - I came home to a can literally falling over overstuffed with his house construction waste material..

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    A number of years ago, I resolved to live an entire year recycling everything I could and only give the city one trash can for the year.  It was called the "One Man, One Can" project.  Our city's recycling program was really robust - you put everything that wasn't food contaminated into a brown can and they picked it up once a week (no styrofoam - that was a problem for me).  This year, they even expanded to include pizza boxes.

About halfway through the year, I was doing great.  Was dumping my styro off to this guy who made archery targets..  Composting in my back yard.  Had about half a can of trash.  really started seeing the light at the end of the tunnel...

..landlord decided to renovate the house next door - I came home to a can literally falling over overstuffed with his house construction waste material..

I hope you moved the can into the renovation house and set it on fire in the living room.

What a douche.