Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for a few easy appetizer ideas

Hi everyone. I am relatively new to the forum (been reading but not posting since July) and egging. Got my LBGE in July after eating off of one at a Memorial Day party and became instantly addicted. Soon realized that during long low and slow cooks, having the egg tied up all day presented issues in doing other stuff at the same time so I HAD to buy a XLBGE....so...my kids didn't get new shoes and had to eat beans only for a while, but it's all about priorities, right! So, I have friends coming over tonight for some drinks and apps before we head out to dinner. They know about my egg addiction and are expecting a few tasty bites from the egg before we head out to our dinner. I have done wings and jalapeño poppers a million times at this point but that's about it. Any thoughts on a few easy tasty apps I could make for my friends? And thank you all for all the great free advice and recipes I've gotten the last 7 months from this forum. It is AWESOME!
XL, LG, mini (soon)

Comments

• Here's my set up.
    XL, LG, mini (soon)
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Maybe too easy but my favorite is a baked Brie with crackers and sliced apples. Topped with jam or honey. Just throw a round Brie on egg for 15 to 20 mins at 350 ish.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    edited February 2013

Nibble Me This has a site with some good organization in it.  Here's a few popular items on one page:

http://www.nibblemethis.com/2012/03/moink-balls-armadillo-eggs-and-sea.html

And, of course, the ABT page:

http://www.nibblemethis.com/2011/09/tailgate-heroes-abts.html

• When I say "I've done wings and jalapeño poppers a million times at this point"...I mean as far as apps go. Thx.
    XL, LG, mini (soon)
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Lots of apps wrapped in bacon-- mushrooms, sesame breadsticks, etc.

Buy a tube if polenta and cut into 1/2 in disks. Grill for 5 mins or so a side then put crushed tomatoes basil, Parmesan on it. Kind of a polenta bruschetta. Also make pizza bites with polenta. Cut into disks, little sauce, cheese and a pepperoni.

Pineapple grilled is good.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Great. Thx guys.
    XL, LG, mini (soon)
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    You can also buy a pack of egg roll wrappers and make mini pizzas. Slice into bite size pieces
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    My easiest and good tasting app is Pickle Bites. I take a small chunk ( about the size of the end of your little finger) of Dill pickle, wrap it in bacon - about 1/3 of a slice, hold it together with a tooth pick. Then I place these in a tupperware and cover with a good maple syrup. 
    Use a placesetter and cook on the BGE until the bacon is crispy @ 350.
    You'll be surprised at the looks of your guests when they eat these!
    500 Posts: 3,177
    DubbsBBQ said:
    Here's my set up.
    Great looking set up with a beautiful back drop.  I'd love to get a second Large.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
    500 Posts: 3,177
    edited February 2013
    Jscott said:
    My easiest and good tasting app is Pickle Bites. I take a small chunk ( about the size of the end of your little finger) of Dill pickle, wrap it in bacon - about 1/3 of a slice, hold it together with a tooth pick. Then I place these in a tupperware and cover with a good maple syrup. 
    These sound good and interesting.  Do you have any pics?
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Agreed. I love pickles, bacon and maple syrup....just never thought ofmthemmall together! Will definitely give it a shot. Thank you all for your posts. Great ideas.
    XL, LG, mini (soon)
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    One weekend for some football watching fun we saw a article in the food network magazine the was titled Can You Wrap it in Bacon? So my aunt went to Sams club and bought a huge pack of bacon and we went to town! 

@BGE1983 had a good post about Super Bowl Sides??? that has links to Moink balls, Different Abts, Pig Shots and other goodies that I haven't made yet but are on the list.

Also if you want Garlic Knots are simple and awesome I made them on the egg for the superbowl but they are just as good made in the oven. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Did you cook all this stuff direct or indirect? Looks awesome.
    XL, LG, mini (soon)
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Probably too late, but MOINK Balls are always a hit. Bacon wrapped tater tots are good as well. Something I've never done (yet) Pig Shots.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    The first picture is indirect the second one was direct (different days) Either works, just like your jalepeno poppers you just cook till the bacon is how you want it.  I think indirect will give you a little better control if you use lots of bacon and are glazing things the fire could cause some to get crispy. Just use a drip pan. I like the pig shots and ABTs the best. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Jscott said:
    Pretty much anything wrapped in bacon and maybe brushed with BBQ sauce is good. 
    Our favourite is whole water chestnuts, wrapped with 1/3 of a strip of bacon. The chestnut will heat but maintains its crunch so all you have to watch is the bacon. Indirect around 350. 
    Brush with a BBQ sauce or serve as is. Easy and different. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • How about ABT Dip, easier to make than individual ABT's

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/856824/abt-dip#latest

LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Thanks for posting the links to some great appetizer recipes.
    Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE
  • Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    No I don't have photos of the Pickle Bites. Need to figure out how to add photos. Just haven't put in the time to figure it out. 
    If anyone has a simple way to do it, please share!