Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

ABT dip

MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
edited 3:05PM in EggHead Forum
have been playing with this in my head at night when I can't sleep... we love ABT's but the time to make them and the time to cook them and for a crowd :(
so today I chopped up some of our homemade bacon and cooked it almost done and set aside. seeded and sliced and chopped about 8 peppers to bite size chunks and put in the hot bacon fat to just coat and get a tiny bit tender. drained out about 95% of the fat and then warmed 1 cup cream cheese in a bowl with about 1Tb of ragin' river and mixed well. spooned this over the pepper chunks and them topped with the bacon. sprinkled with coarse dizzy pig and heated in the egg till bubbly. served with plane crackers. this was gone fast! it was great and will be how we do it in the future. easy and no wheres near the work and serves many more than the 8 peppers would have.
001-1.jpg
004-3.jpg
016-3.jpg
017.jpg
roasted grape tomatoes served with hot fresh bread
018.jpg
main coarse was chicken breast with a pocket cut in and filled with fresh Mozzarella and fresh basil leaf and sun dried tomatoes.
but the ABT dip was the best!
·

Comments

• mkcmkc Posts: 540
    That's a brilliant idea to serve a lot of people! Mind if I steal it? :laugh:

-M
    Egging in Denton, Texas
    ·
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    That dip sounds good Julie, I might have to play around with some different ingredients. Might even try it stuffed in a burger :huh:
    ·
  • MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
    go for it! that is why we post and share :) I used a small cast pan, next time it will be a large one! and by cooking the peppers in the fat it keeps the bacon flavor there and it takes a little of the heat out. the flavor was great. they were roasted nicely on the bottom of the pan and you just cook till the cheese is bubbly so it can be prepped ahead of time and just tossed in the egg to warm up. tasted just like an ABT! and a lot tried it that would not have taken a pepper but took a little scoop. and then came back again and again LOL 8 peppers served 13 people quite a few servings.
    ·
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,406
    Great minds think alike Julie. I've done that on a smaller version. Great looking meal!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
    ·
  • outstanding idea :)
    ·
  • Looks great! What does ABT stand for?
    ·
  • :) nice; but where is the lobsta dip??? :woohoo:
    we gotta meet, Mainegg :evil:
    ·
  • PetuniaPetunia Posts: 110
    Also solves the problem of reheating leftovers. :ohmy: Well when there are only two of you there are sometimes leftovers of these.
    ·
  • Mark0525Mark0525 Posts: 1,225
    Looks great. How do you stuff the chicken breast, that sounds like a great idea
    ·
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    A tomic
    B uffalo
    T urd

they are stuffed peppers wrapped in bacon...
    ·
  • ClamClam Posts: 117
    I've been looking for new ideas for appys. Yours looks great! I put it in my archives.
    ·
  • Dimple's MomDimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Clever! Looks like a winner.
    ·
  • CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,766
    LC will have to help me here. Would that be considered a "deconstructed" ABT
    ·
  • BENTEBENTE Posts: 8,337
    that really looks good.. i will have to give that a try!! thanks ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

·
  • ParallelParallel Posts: 416
    Nice... it looks like I've found what I bringing to the Superbowl party.
    :-bd

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,146
    Great cook, really like the stuffed chicken breasts.
    The ABT dip is a good idea and great way to stretch a few peppers. Sometimes when serving "traditional" ATBs, we have had folks who have never had one, take one bite and not finish it. Your idea allows much smaller serving size and folks can eat one or many - fantastic idea....
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 851
    Really fantastic. I will definitely file this away.

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,589
    Great, creative idea. Plane crackers...? United or delta?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·