Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Jalamango Lime Wings"...pix

Hope that title isn't too corny... lol...  I couldn't come up with a better name for them though.  I felt like doing something different, and not from a recipe book. 

Started by cutting up some chicken wings and giving them a dusting of Baking Powder and DP Tsunami Spin. 

Then placed those on the BGE indirectly at around a 385 deg f dome temp....

In the meantime, I whipped up an "after sauce"... it included some Hot Mango Chutney, Pineapple Juice, Diced Jalapenos, Ginger (I usually use fresh, but this worked conveniently for me tonight), the juice of one Lime and it's Zest, fresh Garlic, and Honey (which is not in the pic, but later added it for some sweetness). 

Once the wings were nice and crispy, I took them off the BGE and then tossed them around in the Sauce.

As you can see in the next pic, the wings got nice and crispy from the added Baking Powder.

Then time for the Sauce...

Served up with some Sweet Potato Fries with Sea Salt, Cracked Pepper and Parmesan Cheese.  These wings were delicious.  Probably some of the best we've ever had.  It had a nice sweetness from the Mango and Honey, a nice bite from the Ginger and Lime, and a nice kick from the Jalapenos.  Will definitely repeat these in the future.  They may even make it to an Eggfest sometime.  ;)

Cheers!  :)

Comments

• Those look outstanding. Officially bookmarked. Great job.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Thanks, dude! That means a lot coming from you. Hope you like them as much as we did. :)
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    This:

I felt like doing something different, and not from a recipe book. 

...immediately piques my interest.  Great job, those sound delicious!!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Nice job! I'll be doing this for sure.
  • These look phenomenal. Nice work!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Dyal_SC
    Thanks, everyone. :)
  • Dyal_SC
    If y'all do try it, plz give me some feedback.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Just Bookmarked and thinking of doing them for some sporting event this coming Monday night.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Dyal_SC
    Forgot to mention, I took a small food processor and pulsed the sauce ingredients up until well combined. Then after doing that, I stirred in some additional diced jalapeños and ginger for a little bit of texture. Left it in the fridge for awhile for the flavors to marry.
  • Interesting concoction... I want to try this! Thanks! :)
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Very nice cook! Only 9am and I'm now starving.
    Thanks for the post, and the choice of rub.
    Drooling.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    very nice, Dyal. just got some of that rub. was planning on using it on wings. used some on a track of ribs, but they were done on an offset down at the ranch so weren't posted. 

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Dyal_SC
    Thanks ladies and fellas. Nice work on the rub, Chris. It's very good! Garfield, when are you going to invite me down to the ranch? ;)
  • Griffin
    You got an open invitation, Princess Dy.  ;)

Rowlett, Texas

• Now I've got my Monday night Championship game menu! Nice work.
  • Dyal_SC
    Thx, Kmacula. I can't remember the proportions exactly for the sauce, but it was most of the jar of the mango chutney, a couple tablespoons or so of pineapple juice, jalapeños to your liking, a couple teaspoons or so of ginger, one big clove of garlic, maybe a couple tablespoons of honey, and the the juice and zest of one lime. You can adjust the proportions as you go until its the taste and consistency you are looking for. Hope you like it! My next go around, I will write down the proportions. I will most likely make these for the eggtoberfest.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Love it. Like MQ not afraid to try what is available and go with the flow....
    Excellent looking wings. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Another bookmark! These look awesome, and I do love me some DP Tsunami Spin!
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Dyal the wing king does it again! Those look hot in more ways than one. Curious what you thought of the squeeze ginger vs fresh ginger. If fresh ginger is 100 percent, how would you rate this stuff?
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Dyal_SC
    jfm0830 said:
    Dyal the wing king does it again! Those look hot in more ways than one. Curious what you thought of the squeeze ginger vs fresh ginger. If fresh ginger is 100 percent, how would you rate this stuff?
    Thanks, y'all!  Jim, I guess that depends on whether you are a fan of ginger or not.  I am personally a big fan of ginger, but my wife isn't fond of biting into big pieces of it.  It definitely added the flavor of ginger I was hoping for, without taking away from the enjoyment of the wings for my wife.  So I think it was a happy medium for the both of us.  You can find it in the produce section near the salad dressings.
  • Griffin
    @jfm0830 I do believe you are confused. our mutual friend was tagged the quesadilla queen, not the wing king.  ;)

Rowlett, Texas

• captjo
    captjo Posts: 93
    Would it be alright with you if we included this awesome recipe on the Dizzy Pig website? It would be on the new site, launched sometime this spring, with your name or handle name as credit.
    Bristow, VA
    1 Lrg & 1 XL
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    captjo said:
    Would it be alright with you if we included this awesome recipe on the Dizzy Pig website? It would be on the new site, launched sometime this spring, with your name or handle name as credit.
    No "care package" for his genius invention?  lol

Hope you do it @Dyal_SC  cause I think that would be pretty cool to get your recipe posted on DP.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Dyal_SC
    captjo said:

Sweet! That would be awesome. :) I'll hafta make them again so I can get a better idea of the proportions of the ingredients.

• captjo
    captjo Posts: 93
    Thank you, sounds great! Please email to joellen@dizzypigbbq.com
    Be sure to let us know if you'd prefer your handle or name with the recipe.
    Bristow, VA
    1 Lrg & 1 XL
  • erblove
    erblove Posts: 97
    May have to give this one a try...thanks. Looks great. 
    Columbia, SC ~ LBGE, ThermaPen
    I love to eat...sue me!
  • Ok, so I made the wings tonight for Valentines day. I made two batches since my first shopping trip I couldn't find the hot mango chuntney so I substituted with mango chutney. I also screwed up and and got orange and pineapple juice. Anyway I made another batch of sauce with hot mango chutney and straight pineapple juice along with fresh jalapeño since i wasn't satisfied with the canned jalapeno's and I liked it much better. The first batch was very citrusy and tangy while the second batch was sweeter but hotter. My daughter loved the first batch since she couldn't take the hotness and my wife and I love the extra heat of the second batch. One other substitution was the rub. I couldn't find the DP tsunami twist rub but I found a suitable substitute with Big Green Eggs own Dizzy gourmet Simply Zensational Rub. I think they may be the same but just repackaged under the Big Green egg name after doing a little research to find out they worked with Dizzy Pig on they're seasoning rubs. Anyways, your recipe was a big hit with my family and will definately be serving again soon!
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I guess I missed these the first time around.. Glad it got a bump, these flavors are right up my alley! 

I'll make some next time we do wings! Thanks
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • crunk
    crunk Posts: 94

Those look amazing!!

Crunk

• I have already made your Meatlover's Calzones twice. This wing recipe is now bookmarked on my MacBook Air. So when is your official cookbook coming out? I will want an autographed copy, of course.

PS - make sure it has all of the pics. I love the pics.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini