Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

You Southern fellas/ladies know what you are doing - Bourbon my new favorite

Comments

• I agree with @nolaegghead - Makers and the like are only for taking neat and a little ice.  otherwise buy a mi bourbon like evan williams black label or rebel yell or jim beam black to mix.  
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve
    Elmer T. Lee
    Old Grand Dad 114 proof
    Blanton's
    Rock Hill Farms if you can find it and have lots of money

Everyday - Wild Turkey 101 or Old Grand Dad 86 proof

Whisky or whiskey - just two ways of spelling the same word. In Europe, it is scotch whisky and Irish whiskey. In the US, it is bourbon whiskey and Tennessee whisky.

Tim
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    edited February 2013
    Four Roses single barrel, Blantons, Elmer T Lee, Thomas Handy, knob Creek single barrel. Bang for buck: Buffalo Trace, bulleit, Old Grandad, Fighting ****, Evan Williams, Elijah Craig. Pappy van Winkle is delish but getting very hard to come by. Many other good ones, but these are ones I'm most familiar with. (I'm entering this on an iPad, and can't seem to get line breaks. Anybody else experience this?)

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• +1 on the Woodford Reserve, for special occasions, Jack Daniels for general purposes
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • If you can find it, there's a small batch distillery just outside Orlando that produces about 500 barrels a years of Palm Ridge Reserve...I've had everything from Woodford Reserve to Pappy Van Winkle to Colorado Breckenridge and I'd take Palm Ridge all day long!  Just keep in mind that this is like wines or cigars, you have to find what you like regardless of what anyone else thinks :)

Mark

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Had Pappy and like it, woodford very nice and four roses.  Drank a bit too much 4 Roses last night.  
  • IrishDevl

If you can find it, there's a small batch distillery just outside Orlando that produces about 500 barrels a years of Palm Ridge Reserve...I've had everything from Woodford Reserve to Pappy Van Winkle to Colorado Breckenridge and I'd take Palm Ridge all day long!  Just keep in mind that this is like wines or cigars, you have to find what you like regardless of what anyone else thinks :)

Mark

I would love to buy a few for gifts.  
  • Gotta vote for Woodford Reserve, my favorite.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    hapster said:
    +1 on the Woodford Reserve, for special occasions, Jack Daniels for general purposes
    I treat every time I have a chance to enjoy a sippin' whiskey (whisky) as a special occasion :)

Life is too short... 
    Cheers to that! ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911

If you can find it, there's a small batch distillery just outside Orlando that produces about 500 barrels a years of Palm Ridge Reserve...I've had everything from Woodford Reserve to Pappy Van Winkle to Colorado Breckenridge and I'd take Palm Ridge all day long!  Just keep in mind that this is like wines or cigars, you have to find what you like regardless of what anyone else thinks :)

Mark

I agree 100%. I have had Blanton's (which is single barrel Buffalo Trace) and Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Russel's Reserve, Gentleman's Jack, My goto is Makers Mark and Crown Royal if I'm mixing. I'm sure good ole Oklahoma will never get any of those small batch goodness but would love to try it. We have to get everything at liquor stores except 3.2 beer. We just got a Whole foods a year ago because they can't sell wine or liquor so it took forever for them to decide to put one in without the profit on the booze. Most of the good microbreweries won't even ship to oklahoma because all "good beer" is purchased and stored hot liquor stores cannot have coolers. When my Makers Mark Ambassador Barrel is ready next year I am going to do the Bourbon Trail and I will probably have a new favorite.. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • If you can find it, there's a small batch distillery just outside Orlando that produces about 500 barrels a years of Palm Ridge Reserve...I've had everything from Woodford Reserve to Pappy Van Winkle to Colorado Breckenridge and I'd take Palm Ridge all day long!  Just keep in mind that this is like wines or cigars, you have to find what you like regardless of what anyone else thinks :)

Mark

I'll have to look for Palm Ridge Reserve. As for Breckenridge, I get this by the case.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • IrishDevl
    @troutgeek - very nice indeed.  
  • Stranahan's is a better Colorado whiskey than Breckenridge distillery (IMO anyway) if you can find it...
  • IrishDevl said:

@troutgeek - very nice indeed.  

Thanks. I got a really nice buck this past fall, and felt the need to repay a few people with "guide fees". Wanted to get them something a bit unusual. Got an extra case for myself while I was at it...
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2013
    No offense @IrishDevil, but just about anything tastes good coming from the largely odourless, tasteless world of Vodka, excluding the flavoured designer ones of course. Other than the alcohol sensation, vodka is pretty much the servant of its mixer. Still, to each his own. (Spoken like a gin martini man, eh?)
    The good news is that many of the forum members seem to try different whisky/whiskey. There is a world of taste out there and one man's pleasure is another man's poison (ladies too).

As a Canuck, Irish/Scotch/Canadian whiskeys were always the go to choice. Over the past 15 years, Old No. 7 opened the door to appreciate "bourbon". Makers 46, Woodford and Knob Creek will never be refused! 
    :D
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • IrishDevl
    @skiddymarker - agreed about vodka. I get the more expensive and drink it straight.
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Bang for the buck cannot beta Buffalo Trace for $21/750 @ BJs in Jax
  • What I want to know is how we can have a conversation about bourbon, and not have any comment from Centex.
  • All the ones I would recommend I have already seen here except corners creek. So add that to you're already long and growing list. Blanton, knob creek, Woodford, pappy, gentleman jack, makers are all my favorite.
    Boom
  • IrishDevl
    Think this Northerner is turning into a southerner.
  • hapster said:
    +1 on the Woodford Reserve, for special occasions, Jack Daniels for general purposes
    I treat every time I have a chance to enjoy a sippin' whiskey (whisky) as a special occasion :)

Life is too short... 
    Ed, I agree, sipping is one thing, mixing is another I am really fond of Jack and club soda. I cringe at the thought of mixing coke. Game day is usually Jack and Soda but a win would be celebrated by a sipping of Woodford or Jameson... Life is Good!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'm amazed at the different alcohol sales laws in each state. The bourbon capital, Kentucky, still has multiple dry counties.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Macallan Fine & Rare Vintage 1947 I hear is pretty good.
    henapple said:
    I'm amazed at the different alcohol sales laws in each state. The bourbon capital, Kentucky, still has multiple dry counties.
    Funny story. The namesake county(Bourbon County, KY) for the area historically associated with bourbon distillation has no distilleries today.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Macallan Fine & Rare Vintage 1947 I hear is pretty good.
    If you have 7,000 bucks. Probably more now.

Go to South Korea and you might find the 1926 for around 75k. 
  • shot of Bookers with 1 ice cube.
  • IrishDevl
    I was throwing down woodford reserve last night. Good stuff.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    In 2004 the Governor of Kentucky declared February 25th Makers Mark day. I'm celebrating with a old fashioned with cherries that have been swimming in makers since christmas. Anyone else celebrate this all important holiday? 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Jefferson's is the bottle I'm currently working on (gift from a coworker and it is really good).
    Peachtree Corners, GA. Large BGE
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    I can't be the only blue collar slob that fancies Wild Turkey here, can I?