Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on Dusting Wings with Cornstarch

Options
NecessaryIndulg sticky wings, cazzy's wings, and traditional buffalo wings with Frank's Red Hot.

I've read about dusting the wings with corn starch to crisp them up. When is this done? I like the mouth feel of a fried wing. Will this work on the sticky wings and cazzy's wings, or does it only work on a dry rubbed wing?
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I am trying corn starch for the first time and added it to the wings before putting on the rub. I've made Cazzy's wings a few times and sticky wings don't need cornstarch. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    Just did wings with baking powder for the first time. Works much the same as corn starch. I mixed it with the rub and but it on before putting the wings in the egg by shaking in a ziplock. The have no sauce, but I think saucing is going to change the crunchy texture on the wing, not to say it'll be bad, just not 'like-breaded'.

Cheers -
    B_B

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I can only comment of using it w. dry rub. I pour some cornstarch into a fine mesh tea strainer, and tap the strainer to put a coating onto the chicken. Then dust w. the rub, which is usually a lot coarser than the starch. My results have not been like fried, but the skin tends to be much firmer, not rubbery. The results improve as the temperature goes up. 425-450F works well. I've also tried potato and arrowroot starch, but corn worked better.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    To me only a dry rub wing could be Mixed with rub/starch, 2:1 and if still dry when ready to hit the grid, spritz with oil. Always crispy. Can't speak for Kristi's wings, but the style of Cazzy's wings is a non-crispy sticky wing, I would not try to make it a dry crispy wing. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    HIGH in the dome with "salt and pepper" is crisp --- HIGH in the dome !!image