Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help w temp issue

Options
My temp dropping and flipping between 220 and 230. Gets to 230 I close vents and keeps dropping. Gets to 220 and I open it up a little and flies back up Any suggestions

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    10 degrees is not going to change much. Just sit back and enjoy a beverage and let egg do its thing. Before long you will be able to set your vents without thinking and nail your target temp.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Aaron_Toronto
    Options
    She settled at 237. Doing ribs So that works for me Thanks
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options

FYI-a little known secret that BGE does not tell you is the following-on indirect cooks (platesetter in) your dome temp will initially read around 20-40*F hotter than the temp at the cooking grid-gaps narrows the longer the dome is shut.  If not specified, cooking  temperatures reference the dome temp.  Check the calibration of your dome thermo before you start. 

I found out the hard way with a rib cook that took forever-

BTW-welcome aboard. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    She settled at 237. Doing ribs So that works for me Thanks
    See...... relax and it will find its sweet spot....
    Don't chase it, and the longer it has been hot, the less any change makes..
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Lots of good advice above.  Most important, I think, is not chasing temps.  If your target was 220 and you were at 230 there is basically no difference.  Give the egg plenty of time to stabilize before you try adjusting the vents.