Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First ABT!!!!!!

Options
Getting ready for first abt!!! I hope they turn out as good as they seem. The nattys in the back ground are for some beer can chickens that I brined yesterday. My first brined birds.

Comments

• rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    Brined birds are the way to go. Won't even need the beer for flavor or moisture. Haven't done ABTs yet but will try them soon.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Looks like you will have a good spread! ABTs are always a hit around my egg. 

I'm with @Skiddymarker in the Spatchcock chicken camp, but like everything else there are a plenty of different ways to make food great on the BGE! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Forget the beer can chicken, unless you are using the old Weber kettle or gasser. Spatch your brined birds, and they will be great, direct or indirect - your choice. 

For the ABTs, I have a suggestion. Leave them as a boat, that is do not cut off the stem end. Cut them in half and then use a spoon or corer to remove the seeds and veins. The cheese will stay in as it melts. 
    I stuff mine with Chorizo and a touch of chipotle salsa under the cream cheese. Wrap the bacon tight and no picks are needed. I do indirect at 325 for about 45 minutes. Leave as is or finish with a BBQ sauce - It is all good!, enjoy your cook. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I am using sweet peppers today in my abts. Can't wait. I love abts.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    @BYS1981 let me know how you like the sweet peppers, I usually throw a poblano on the egg as its coming up to temp then chop it up for the cream cheese mixture but am always open for new ideas. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • BYS1981
    Options
    Will do. I will try and post pictures but no guarantees. Lol
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Tip: allow the bacon to sit out at Room temp and it is far more plyable and adhesive. I know that doesn't sound appetizing, but you will be able to wrap the peppers easily and completely with half a strip of bacon. Then no pick needed, put back infringe and they firm up real nice. I do mine indirect @250-300 for an hour or until bacon has rendered to my desired crispness.
  • SamFerrise
    Options
    I did some ABT's this afternoon and then I inadvertently stirred my coffee with the same spoon I used to remove the seeds from the peppers.  Needless to say, it was a spicy cup of coffee.  I didn't want to toss it because I put a good shot of very good rum in it. 

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • brianwdmn
    Options
    I did my first about a year ago. Split, filled, put them back together, wrapped in bacon, and egged for about half an hour. They were good, but I learned a few valuable lessons. 1. Let them go longer to tame the spicy heat from the pepper 2. Do them as open face boats, with seasoning under the bacon and above 3. After handling the peppers, don't touch your eyes or private parts, unless you wear gloves
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • BYS1981
    Options

I did some ABT's this afternoon and then I inadvertently stirred my coffee with the same spoon I used to remove the seeds from the peppers.  Needless to say, it was a spicy cup of coffee.  I didn't want to toss it because I put a good shot of very good rum in it. 

First time I made ABTs I had not fully washed all of the jalapeno oil and rubbed my nose lol!
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    I like to mix some chopped pulled pork in with the cream cheese, never tried the little smokies. I put 40 out at a party everyone asked what they were, when I told them they said Jalapenos were too hot. All 40 were gone within 5 minutes. Make plenty!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    When "they" say that jalapenos are to hot I agree with them and warn "them" not to even try them, I get at least one ABT this way.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I do cheddar and cream cheese mix, shrimp and thick cut bacon.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    brianwdmn said:

I did my first about a year ago. Split, filled, put them back together, wrapped in bacon, and egged for about half an hour. They were good, but I learned a few valuable lessons.
    1. Let them go longer to tame the spicy heat from the pepper
    2. Do them as open face boats, with seasoning under the bacon and above
    3. After handling the peppers, don't touch your eyes or private parts, unless you wear gloves

What is a private part?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    I did my first about a year ago. Split, filled, put them back together, wrapped in bacon, and egged for about half an hour. They were good, but I learned a few valuable lessons. 1. Let them go longer to tame the spicy heat from the pepper 2. Do them as open face boats, with seasoning under the bacon and above 3. After handling the peppers, don't touch your eyes or private parts, unless you wear gloves
    What is a private part?
    I think I know !!??!!

Opelika, Alabama
  • brianwdmn
    Options
    Lets just say your vocabulary changes when you forget that safety tip. Lots of words that rhyme with truck.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    What is a private part?
    You'll know when you forget and touch it! You won't forget a second time.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser