Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Wondering about the necessity of washing pork butts?

I have always hewed to the principal that you wash your pork butts off after you pull them from the cryovac before you prep them. But I am contemplating some larger cook for church groups, etc. that may involve quite a few more butts than I normally do and washing them all seems impractical. It occurred to me that BBQ restaurants probably don't wash all the dozens of butts they prep daily, although i could be wrong. And I found some supporting documentation from USDA that says you don't need to wash pork. Still, it is a hard thing for me to get comfortable with. Curious as to what those on here with catering/restaurant experience have to say about this issue. Thanks!
·

Comments

• Ron, I asked the same question last night here.  The consensus seems to be to at least wipe off with a papertowel.  We also agreed it best to keep your butt clean.  :))

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

·
  • I wonder if the Charmin wipes would be better
    ·
  • Sorry for the repetitive post. I did a search and didn't see anything - must have used the wrong keywords!

Thanks for the info...
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,230
    I don't wash anything...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • twlangantwlangan Posts: 293
    I don't clean my butt. It might take you a while to get used to it, but the freedom you gain is exhilarating.  :)
    ·
  • ratcheerratcheer Posts: 189
    I've never washed one, but I always get them as dry as I can with paper towels.

Tim
    ·
    twlangan said:

I don't clean my butt. It might take you a while to get used to it, but the freedom you gain is exhilarating.  :)

That's wrong
    ·
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I would even say clean tube steak as well.
    ·
    IrishDevl said:

This thread is going down ...hill
    ·
    henapple said:

IrishDevl said:

This thread is going down ...hill
    Hot dogs dude, get your mind out of the gutter.
    ·
    Still wrong...
    ·
    OK, my humblest apologies. Keep it dirty.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,020
    No reason to rinse it.  If it's too wet, pat off the moisture.  It's not going to be any drier after you rinse it.  If you smell sulfur, that'll cook off.  The liquid in the cryovac bag is just juice from the pork.  It's inside the pork too, ya can't wash that off.

·