Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions for new cookware

So I'm in the market for new cookware. Leaning stainless. Want something quality that'll hold up but also a good value. I don't need a ton of pieces. Small/large skillet and a small/med pot (I own a nice large stock pot). Any suggestions?
Boom

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Caphalon or All-Clad. I have All-clad d5 and copper core. Look at a Williams-Sonoma outlet for individual pieces 40-50% off.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I love my All-Clad stainless pans/skillets.  I have bought all of mine as factory irregulars from Cookware & More.  On most pieces I can't even see the flaw.  Here is a link to their site.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i dont use much stainless any more, but if it is clad try to find one where the cladding goes up the sides, the ones where the clad is just flat on the bottom promotes burning on that edge in the corner of the pan. for a small pot i would either look for a coated cast iron, and or an aluminum pot, aluminum heats fast-water and soups
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    I have some Calphalon anodized aluminum that is about 14yrs old....no problems at all. I also have some All-Clad SS that I like too.

Don't buy a "set".....just get the few pieces that you really need.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    All-Clad. Might sound cheap but I've found them and Lodge CI at TJ Maxx....hey, swmbo drags me there.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I guess I'm old school, basic Paderno SS. The saucepans are fantastic with lids that fit and do not spit all over the glass top piece of furniture SWMBO had to have in the kitchen. Nice little steamer and double boiler. I also have a SS Lagostina saute skillet, still my favourite either on the stove or side burner, it also is <500 egg friendly, no composite handle or cladding. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    All-Clad d5 is going to be my next set. 

They had also come out with a new hard anodized non-stick line (d3) that I got to try out.  Quality made, but like you, I prefer stainless these days over non-stick. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    +1 For All-Clad-been using them for around 10 years-and shoulda pulled the plug much sooner.  Like using good knives.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggcelsior
    lousubcap said:
    +1 For All-Clad-been using them for around 10 years-and shoulda pulled the plug much sooner.  Like using good knives.
    Mine were a birthday present to myself 3 years ago after I moved into my new house. I grew up watching my parents cook on original All-clad 3-ply for over 20 years. Best advertisement I've seen.
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    It's great stuff for sure. I need to get a 12" saute pan. Been needing a new one for a few years now....just waiting for a good sale I guess.

I have only 1 non-stick pan. And it's a cheapo one that Cooks Illustrated recommended. I can't see spending money on a good one.....they all turn to garbage sooner or later.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited January 2013
    Just bought a 12 inch fry pan 30 mins ago. All Clad. Came with lid and was on sale for $100. Normally $155. Fan, aren't you in Columbia SC? Charleston cooks next to whole foods has a sale that ends today. Sign up for their loyalty program and get double points too. I got 55 off the pan and a 25 gift card.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited January 2013
    Caphalon or All-Clad. I have All-clad d5 and copper core. Look at a Williams-Sonoma outlet for individual pieces 40-50% off.
    What he said..... (I am not a big fan of Caphalon , but have and use All-clad both SS and Copper Core).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Chubbs said:
    Just bought a 12 inch fry pan 30 mins ago. All Clad. Came with lid and was on sale for $100. Normally $155. Fan, aren't you in Columbia SC? Charleston cooks next to whole foods has a sale that ends today. Sign up for their loyalty program and get double points too. I got 55 off the pan and a 25 gift card.

I'm only 10 minutes from Whole Foods. Will def check that out.
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Great advice everyone. I will def buy by the piece so I can get exactly what I want and hopefully buy as I see it on sale. Some diversity here but looks like all clad is highly recommended. Will go that route I think.
    Boom
  • Chubbs
    Great advice everyone. I will def buy by the piece so I can get exactly what I want and hopefully buy as I see it on sale. Some diversity here but looks like all clad is highly recommended. Will go that route I think.

Check out the rub they have in there too. You may have heard of it before--- it is from Sumter. I got some-- tastes great. Called "Hog Dust"
  • Eggcelsior
    For more reassurance, the 12" All-clad skillet has been the top-rated one by Cook's Illustrated for years. I think it's been #1 since Cook's Illustrated came into existence. It is the only one that they rate "Highly Recommended".

From Cook's Illustrated.

Product Name

All-Clad Stainless 12-Inch Fry Pan

Manufacturer

All-Clad

Model Number

Price

$135.00

Recommendation Status

Highly Recommended

Testers’ Comments

Testers praised this pan for having “everything you need in a skillet and nothing you don’t,” with enough cooking surface for sautéing eight chicken pieces without crowding; steady, controlled heat for excellent browning; and a good shape with low sides. The weight balance was outstanding; it was easy to manipulate and lift. In the durability test, it sustained the least damage, with barely visible dents.

• Chubbs
    Sweet. Looks like I made a good decision...for once.
  • Check out swiss diamond. They are non-stick, but the coating won't wear off like a traditional non stick. I talked to a chef about them. She loves them. She said that regular non stick pans are good for eggs, eggs, and eggs.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • FWIW...calphalon are made in the US and have a lifetime warranty on most of their cookware. I have a set of Simply Calphalon that have a ten year warranty. They are about 7 years old and most of the frying pans are shot. With that said, we cook a lot and they have held up well. I'd replace them under warranty, but I want to get some of the Swiss Diamond.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Chubbs
    All clad. Lifetime warranty
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

Was intrigued by All-Clad until I went to the store and picked one up.  Their handles suck.

May want to look at Viking cookware.  Entire piece including the sides are 7 ply, like fishless said.   

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I got every piece of analon allure I could find when it was discontinued about 7 years ago. They are hard anodized which makes them really not stick but they have held up great for 7 years. You can cook an egg with no spray or butter and it won't stick.
  • Eggcelsior
    Focker said:

Was intrigued by All-Clad until I went to the store and picked one up.  Their handles suck.

May want to look at Viking cookware.  Entire piece including the sides are 7 ply, like fishless said.   

What series do you not like? All-Clad makes their handles to be balanced and heat resistant. They have trickled down the nicer handles from the copper core.

Viking cookware is nice stuff. It's re branded Demeyere; made in Belgium. You do pay around 25% more than All-clad or Caphalon for the same pieces, though.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I own a couple all clad fry pans, but bought a tri ply Tramontina set as well. Basically the same performance, slightly smaller cook surface 1/3 the price. I am a huge fan of the De Buyer iron pans for use pusher or on gas burners, but they are very heavy. I think lodge now makes a similar pan to the DeBuyer. If your buying SS for indoor use, buy tri-ply or better, you won't regret it.
  • I went with Falk Copper Cookware -- it is an investment but a worthwhile one.  Hopefully our kids and their kids and their kids (etc) will enjoy them as much as I have.  I adore them! :x
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • All-Clad for me. But I would go cheaper for a big stockpot. And Lodge cast iron is much better than ss for browning.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    Agree with the rec's not to go with a "full set" of any particular style.  Here's my favorites:

Pots:  Le Creusets enameled cast-iron with  non-stick interiors.  I've been using my three for almost 30 years.

Pans:  I have a copper-clad All-Clad saute pan, and a copper-layer All-Clad fry pan.  It took me years to realize you can't get a good fond, hence a good sauce, with non-stick; you need a bare metal pan.  Still, you need at least one:

Non-stick pan:  I'd been using a great, inexpensive T-fal frypan for fish and eggs for over ten years.  Sadly, I destroyed it just two weeks ago, burner was on Low but I forgot to turn it off... :(
    I'd seen the "green ceramic" commercials on TV, and saw Henkel's had a ceramic non-stick pan for $80; I found an "Aeternum" frypan at my local Bed Bath & Beyond for $40 and picked one up.  The ceramic in this pan is white, and that lets you judge the browning of say, onions, very easily.  Conversely, you can't tell what an egg's white is doing at all!  I'm still learning this pan, the non-stick capabilities are not exaggerated on the commercials, I can't even leave the bacon fond in the pan when I pour off the grease; everything just slides right out.  It's a dream for cooking scrambled eggs or omelets, however.  I'll bet it works fantastic for crepes.   

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• I really only use my non stick pan for omelettes. For two fried eggs, I'll use my 8" all clad ss pan. With a bit of butter, and lower heat, it works just as well as non stick. You can even flip them over with a flick of the wrist in this pan.

For crepes, I have French carbon steel crepe pan that my wife bought for me up in Niagara on the Lake about 10 years ago.

I guess I've been stalling on buying the 12" all clad because I always just grab a cast iron skillet instead.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

What series do you not like? All-Clad makes their handles to be balanced and heat resistant. They have trickled down the nicer handles from the copper core. Viking cookware is nice stuff. It's re branded Demeyere; made in Belgium. You do pay around 25% more than All-clad or Caphalon for the same pieces, though.

Sorry for the late reply, had to work a couple of 12hr nocs in a row.

I've only put hands on their standard line

http://www.amazon.com/All-Clad-5112-Stainless-12-Inch-Fry/dp/B00005AL5F/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359809376&sr=8-1&keywords=all+clad+skillet

Other than construction, handles are second when it comes to choosing a pan...especially a pan one would tend to "flip".  I thought they were narrow, awkward, unsteady empty.  Couldn't imagine having a little weight added into the mix.  I am surprised All-Clad has not changed them. 

I do not doubt their performance.  I'd use em too if "brought up" on them.  One of the reasons I love the vintage CI.  The smell of a CI skillet breakfast in the kitchen takes me back to a kid at Grandma's.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."