Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

End of rack of pork season?

njl
njl Posts: 1,123
I was in my local Costco this morning and they only had 4 cryo'd racks of pork (one with a sell-by date of tomorrow).  They had a few more that had been opened, laced up, seasoned, and placed oven ready in a foil pan.  I took home a cryo'd 6.24lb one.  I hope this isn't the end.  I do have one frozen "for later".

Here it is, bottom view, dried off out of the cryo:

Here it is again, with the little bit of membrane that was there removed:

Top view...with the outer layer scored...need to sharpen the boning knife...it was having a hard time doing the job.

I'd never bothered with this on a ROP before, but I decided to see what I was missing with the lacing:

Laced up side view...you can see the lacing compresses the rack horizontally, making it a little more round from this view:

Here it is, fully prepped and wrapped up to go back in the fridge till starting time:

And after 2 hours indirect at mostly 350ish:

I covered the glass dish it was in with foil while I got the rest of dinner ready (mashed potatoes and steamed string beans).  I'd pulled it off the egg at 147F IT, and 20 minutes later when I was about to slice it, it had reached 159F.  It may look burnt on the outside, but it's not.  I probably could have pulled it a few degrees earlier, but I had to run out on an errand mid way through the cook, and it finished a little quicker than I'd expected.

Comments