Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Gasket Question

I just fried my second nomex gasket in less than a year. I can honestly say that it wasn't the nomex that was the problem. It was the crappy adhesive. Here's the story.

1. Factory gasket was fried within a month. We all know that happens.
2. BGE customer service replaced my gasket with nomex gasket. I installed the nomex using 3M Super 77. Over time, the adhesive failed during a high heat cook causing the gasket to be immersed in the flames. End of gasket.
3. Replaced with another Nomex and used Rutland stove cement for the adhesive. This adhesive was messy to install and had a very short open time. I replaced the gasket in July and here it is, January, and the adhesive failed. The gasket met the same demise as the first Nomex.

So here I am with the gasket debate facing me once again. I went to the dealer and picked up a nomex gasket. I asked about the new style gasket from BGE and they didn't even realize the gasket changed until I asked and we looked at a new egg. I bought the nomex gasket, but am reconsidering the purchase. I'm tossing the Rutland idea around. Regardless of which gasket I use, I'll be using Permatex ultra copper adhesive/gasket maker.

Here are my questions. I've researched the installation of the Rutland. The Whiz's site talks about bunching the gasket material as you put it on. For those that have installed the Rutland, does it naturally get bunched from working it around the rim, or is there a specific amount that I need to bunch it. I looked on YouTube but didn't find a Rutland install video.

For those that have installed Nomex using the permatex adhesive, have you had any issues with the gasket or adhesive failing. How long has your nomex been on since you've installed the nomex.

I love my egg, but I'm really tired of replacing gaskets. I've owned my egg for just over a year and am about to put my 4th gasket on the egg.

I also know that many go gasketless, but this is not an option for me. I want a gasket because when I've run without them I've used more lump. It also helps pad the dome when I put it down. The dome on the XL is heavy and I don't want to take chances.

Thanks in advance for all of the comments.
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Have you done the dollar bill test? Are the domes aligned and closing right? Or are you sure its the high heat cooking.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Aviator said:

Have you done the dollar bill test? Are the domes aligned and closing right? Or are you sure its the high heat cooking.

I've done the dollar bill test and everything is aligned correctly. I'm not really sure it is the high heat cooking. I think it has been my choice of adhesives.

Mark Annville, PA
  • @hapster, no I haven't considered the highQ gasket. Aside from the adhesive backing, is it different than the nomex from BGE?
    Mark Annville, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I have a nomex installed with the Permatex Ultra Copper-no issues for at least 11/2 - 2 years.  That said, I do not run above 450-500*F for any cooks (including pizza) and subscribe to the "no need for a clean burn" camp.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited January 2013
    I have the Rutland on all four of my eggs.  The bunching process is easy and makes a lot more sense when you have one in hand.  The gasket material is slightly narrower than the rim of the egg so you simply bunch it to fill the entire surface of the rim.  When I put them on I do it in stages about one fourth at a time so I can take my time and not worry about making a mess with the Permatex.  My oldest Rutland is over two and a half years old and other than being discolored from smoke, it is as good as the day it went on.  It has been through several 1000* + cleaning burns.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Bowhunr, pics please. Doo you do both upper and lower?

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    There is no question the Rutland should last pretty much forever. It is made for wood burning appliances like super high heat EPA approved wood stoves. In 10 years of using my "air tights" I have replaced one door gasket. 
    A friend had trouble with his BGE high heat gasket, I have had no issue for 4 months. I think his problem was the preparation of the base/dome surface. The self adhesive seems to work just fine, but does require a significant amount of prep. In short, clean the surface very well, both mechanically (scrape/sand) and chemically (acetone). Apply the gasket at least 1/8" in from the inner walls, no overhang inside the egg. Seems to work, but I suspect will have a life of about 6 to 12 months. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I don't have pics of the installation process but here is a photo of one of my larges and my mini.  Do to the thickness of the Rutland you only need it on one side and I chose the lower.  I know several have installed them on the upper which might make more sense as they would stay cleaner.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    edited January 2013
    @BOWHUNR Thanks for the info. I've read mixed thoughts on placing rutland on bottom vs top. If I go with the Rutland, I'll put it on the bottom. I'd rather any fiberglass fibers go into my fire than fall on my food.

I don't really care about discoloration.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    My original gasket lasted less than a year. I replaced it with the Nomex gasket (without the adhesive) that BGE sent me.  I used the Spay #77 adhesive which I sprayed into a cup and applied with a brush.  That gasket lasted a few years but got more and more burned and compressed until now it is barely in existence. 

I bought a Rutland gasket and the Permatex adhesive but I'm not going to install it (bottom only) until Spring.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I went with Permatex Copper as the gasket. Still performing wonderfully.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1144781/permatex-copper-as-a-gasket-install#latest