Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Permatex Copper AS a Gasket install.

Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well, I went ahead with it. I ended up not removing the bands because I didn't want to deal with removing the nest shelves and it turned out not to be an issue at all...First I made a jig out of some cardboard. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos I used that to push the material around working in small sections at a time...here are the final results. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Can't wait for it to cure so I can test it out.

Comments

• BotchBotch Posts: 3,360
    I just did it a few weeks ago, your installation is so much neater than mine, congrats!  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
  • Can u buy the permatex at any auto supply store and one tube or whatever it comes in enough to do a large?
    Life is short,love what you do or do something else
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Yep...any auto parts store. I used two tubes on my large.
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,360
    BBQBeerman, I used about a tube and a third.  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
  • Got some vacation time to take in two weeks I think I will give this a go what did u use to clean up the old gasket to make sure the permatex sticks
    A scraper, sandpaper, acetone and a rag...in that order. I've been gasket-less for a little while now so most everything was already burned off.
  • Last thing how long do u need to let the permatex dry before cooking?
    Package says to give it 24 hours to fully cure (at 70*...longer if colder out). I'm gonna do a spatchcock chicken tomorrow to test it out which will end up being around 30 hours from install.
  • Thanks for the help
  • Bear 007Bear 007 Posts: 343
    Nice clean job, I do mine up in molds then apply them, the one on my large has been there for almost two years now.

Bear 007 said:
    Nice clean job, I do mine up in molds then apply them, the one on my large has been there for almost two years now.

thanks...I was pretty anal about keeping it clean! I think I saw a thread you did showing using molds to make the gasket...brilliant idea, I don't have the equipment/tools for that.
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,347
    edited October 2012
    is that gasket food and hi temp safe?

You did a very nice job. Last pizza cooks both small and mini gaskets bit the dust.
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    High temp, yes. No too sure about food safe, but I was using a Rutland before so not really concerned...