Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef back ribs. Maybe my favorite thing in the World....

TheHandleGuy
TheHandleGuy Posts: 77
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum

Picked up some individually cut but extremely meaty beef back ribs.  They were going for $2.39/lb which is a heck of a deal around here

Seasoned them with The Rub Co's Santa Maria Rub and hit lightly with my Pastrami rub which has Pepper, Coriander and some other stuff in it

then threw on the Large Egg in a shallow pan at 265. 

After 2-1/2 hours, I poured a cup of beef broth in the pan and covered tightly with foil and let that go for about 1-1/2 hour.  Then I removed the foil and let them cook for about 20 minutes.

imageimage

Those are so good it has to be a sin....

Large BGE, Santa Maria Pit, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, MAK One Star Pellet Pooper,  26" Weber, 22" Weber Performer.  Most have custom handles made by me.

http://www.amlwoodart.com

"Just living from one cook to the next"

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited January 2013
    Can't see your pictures but from the description I want to be friends.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Sounds great ...try the photos again. My imagination isn't so keen anymore :)
  • Sorry about that.  Let me fix it in a minute....

Large BGE, Santa Maria Pit, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, MAK One Star Pellet Pooper,  26" Weber, 22" Weber Performer.  Most have custom handles made by me.

• Hey no problem just "ribbin ya"
  • Ok, so I am using photobucket and I have forgotten what format to use since it has been so long and I am so old.  Can someone help me out here please so that these pics will post nicely?  Thanks so much :)

• Can't help you. I have a iPad and @ the bottom it says attach file.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Can't help you. I have a iPad and @ the bottom it says attach file.

Me too. I can post the same on forums but this one.It sucks!
  • Mickey
    HTML
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    That looks good.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • OK. I will do html next time.  Whew!  I think I have forgotten half of what i have learned in life.....

• Welcome Marty. Good to see you over here on the dark side :). Are you using a computer to post pics from photbucket? this site uses a different format than you are used to over there.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Welcome Marty. Good to see you over here on the dark side :). Are you using a computer to post pics from photbucket? this site uses a different format than you are used to over there.
    Yes, I am using a PC and I have the photos in both jpg and on photobucket.  What is the best way for people to view them?  Thanks!!

• jpeg is easiest. do you see the "attach a file" button below the text box? Click on that and it will let you browse and select an image. Once you have selected the image, it will appear as a small image below your post. if you hover over it, you'll see a button that says "insert image". If you click that, it will put a large image in the post wherever your cursor is.
  • Best way for me to view pictures is...me sitting in my chair sippin' a Woodford reserve:) welcome HandleGuy don't mind me there's one in every crowd :)
  • Best way for me to view pictures is...me sitting in my chair sippin' a Woodford reserve:) welcome HandleGuy don't mind me there's one in every crowd :)

No problem at all.  I am sitting here sipping a North Coast Brewing   Old Stock Ale which might just be the best Barley Wine I have ever had in my life!!  Of course it is a 12% Ale so my judgment may by somewhat skewed......

• I'm the only person on the forum with a decent post count "who doesn't own a Egg" YET....soon though so don't pay attention to me :) sounds like a great Ale nice alcohol content
  • TheHandleGuy
    TheHandleGuy Posts: 77
    edited January 2013

• Looks great I'll take a plate. I've only done beef ribs once with my side smoker. Will have to do again. Thanks for posting
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Nice looking ribs! =D>
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    +1 love beef ribs I settle for short on the mini.
    Seattle, WA
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Beef ribs are my favorite rib.  The rest of my family doesn't agree, they prefer pork, but I LOVE beef ribs with a little Stubb's original drizzled on them.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I love me sum beef ribs.   I've done SV short ribs a few times recently, but I haven't bought beef ribs in a while.  Thanks for the suggestion.
    I'm drooling. Love beef ribs but the stores around here never have any good ones - just bones with shreds of meat. I'm jealous.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    edited January 2013
    jpeg is easiest. do you see the "attach a file" button below the text box? Click on that and it will let you browse and select an image. Once you have selected the image, it will appear as a small image below your post. if you hover over it, you'll see a button that says "insert image". If you click that, it will put a large image in the post wherever your cursor is.

No idea you could do it like that w/o photobucket.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Yes, those are great cuts. And a really good price. I don't know why, but I almost never find them. I think the last time I had them, the price was over $4/lb. Bought all I could afford.

FWIW, a few years ago, my wife asked what I wanted for my birthday dinner, meaning where would I like to go to eat. I told her I already had something I was going to Egg. She was fine with that, but when she saw the package of beef ribs, she asked why I didn't at least go for steak.

When she tasted the finished ribs, she understood. Her comment was something to the effect that the results were as tender as steak, but w. all the flavor of 'Q.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Some mighty fine lookin' eats!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• 8->  Oh my.  Stunning! 
    Adding this to the short list.  I love them but haven't cooked them yet.  
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Great looking cook!  Gonna have to do these soon.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Those dino bones look great!  I recently discovered these as well and I wept tears of joy when I ate them.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Nice cook Marty. Hope to see more of that on here. Looks like beef reibs are on the menu this weekend (IF they are under $3 per lb- we are experimenting all month with Under $3 cuts of meat to see what we can come up with)