Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

You are not going to believe this

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669
$10. For sandblasting. Thanks for the suggestion. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• \:D/

Wowzers!!

XLBGE 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I still think you shoulda coughed up the double sawbuck for a new one. Hehehe

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    What smart guy suggested that?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Tell me you bought that used and are not responsible for letting it get as rusty as it had gotten.

Sand blasting made it look like new, but I wonder what you could have done by simply wire brushing the loose stuff off and then baking it at high temp and reseasoning it?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    njl said:

Tell me you bought that used and are not responsible for letting it get as rusty as it had gotten.

Sand blasting made it look like new, but I wonder what you could have done by simply wire brushing the loose stuff off and then baking it at high temp and reseasoning it?

I think that 10 bucks is worth the time and effort on that. I'm quite amazed at how clean it is.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Yeah, you need to make your inflatable sex doll wear that as a hat.  brown-chickin-brown-cow! Its so beautiful!
    edited January 2013
    I used to be the contract manager for the corrosion control folks at the Kennedy Space Center.  These guys do ablative cleaning for everything from metal structures to critical launch sensitive equipment (the most sensitive being spent Solid Rocket Booster segments).  It is amazing what they can do.  I bet they could blast paint off a balloon without popping it.

Noting how much scale your wheel showed and how new it looks now reminds me of something one of the guys told me.  He said a metal pipe could be clogged solid with corrosion, but when cleaned out the amount of metal lost would be unmeasurable.

Looks great.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Mickey
    Sprayed with grilling spray and cooking off in the Mini. Will cook about an hour and cut off leaving it in and do again Thursday night and maybe Friday.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    He'll of a $10 spent. That is crazy. Mental note.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mickey said:
    Sprayed with grilling spray and cooking off in the Mini. Will cook about an hour and cut off leaving it in and do again Thursday night and maybe Friday.

Now you can throw it back in the box and let it start to rust all over again
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggcelsior
    That's they way to stimulate the local economy! Good Guy Mickey.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I don't believe it...
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    WOW, Thats pretty cool, Looks better than new.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Now that is a purdy lil thang
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • never would have thought of it. sweeeeet!!

If its not memorable, its not worth doing.

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    Good idea to sandblast.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    A little fishy to me.  Considering your BRAND NEW egg showed up the same day...
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Next time don't leave it in a rubbermaid container with water. You should be ashamed of yourself, Mickey. [-X

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited January 2013
    Mickey is known for his sleazy, underhanded tactics to further his causes.  I mean, he's a car salesman for Christ's sake.  His real intentions are to sieze your guns and ammo.  Just wait.  His next post will be an offer to have your guns restored to a "new" condition if you'll send them to him, and he'll use this "slight of hand" trick to entice you..

I sent him my guns, and now I don't have the means to protect my wife, my children, or my neighbors.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Eggcelsior
    VI, perhaps you should visit:

• Mickey

@rtt121

@Griffin

@VillageIdiot

Let me introduce you guys to Mangrates. Or watch the shiny object in my left hand :-??

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I am not so easily distracted by.....is that a mangrate? Have you cooked on it yet? How do you like it? Now, where was I? Ahh screw it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey said:

@rtt121

@Griffin

@VillageIdiot

Let me introduce you guys to Mangrates. Or watch the shiny object in my left hand :-??

We are all going to be introduced to @mangrates very soon. All I can say, is god help us all :))

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey has taken Three Card Monty to a new level.   :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Interesting hobby you have, Mickey. Buy something, toss it in a corner and forget about it, dig it out, clean it up and pay to restore it, to toss it in a corner and forget about it, dig it out, clean it up etc... 

Looks great. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Interesting hobby you have, Mickey. Buy something, toss it in a corner and forget about it, dig it out, clean it up and pay to restore it, to toss it in a corner and forget about it, dig it out, clean it up etc... 

Looks great. 
    Damn Skiddy, you make it sound odd? But I think it is because of you I wanted it fixed. You use it and not the bottom vent. Correct? I want to try that so I don't have to bend over (yep, that lazy).

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Mickey said:

@rtt121

@Griffin

@VillageIdiot

Man, those look Great!!!
    Lord, I apologize.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Mickey please use the mangrates before Salado and give us your review. I am hoping my mangrates tattoo will be justified in due time.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mickey
    Chubbs said:
    Mickey please use the mangrates before Salado and give us your review. I am hoping my mangrates tattoo will be justified in due time.
    I am just not a CI guy and just found out VI is the same. Travis and CenTex will give them a full run. Travis will be back from the beach the first week of Feb and CenTex could by here Tue.