Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Have you changed the thermometer on your egg?

Options
I have heard a couple of people say they replaced the stock thermometer on their egg as it has needed to be recalibrated a couple of times. Have you replaced yours? I need to recalibrate mine again at a minimum.

Comments

• MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Options

I have not replaced it, but i also have a thermometer that sits on the grate.  I compare to the two readings to make sure they are in the same ballpark.  I recalibrate my dome thermometer twice a year, usually when the weather changes.

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options

if you have a newer bge thermometer then you dhouldnt have to change it. because the newer thermometers on the eggs and the one they send you when you buy a replacement is made by a company named tru tel. i replaced a thermometer several years ago with a tru tel and i replaced my second lardes thermpometer earlier this year. the tru tel thermometers don't have to be calibrated as often as the old ones. if you have an old one it will not say tru tel on it. and if dont say it then i would think about getting a new one to save yourself the hassel.

HTH

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• rolltideegghead
    Options
    How do you calibrate them? I think mine is ok but I was just wondering?
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    You fill a glass with ice, dump in some water, then stick the thermometer in it. It should read 32 degrees.
  • calracefan
    Options
    Heat a pan of water to boiling, stick the thermo in it should read 212 F at sea level or 100 C. If it is off hold what looks like a nut (hex) on the back a nd turn the dial to make it read proper.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Do the boiling thing. They don't have readings to do the ice water bath calibration.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I do opposite. Boil water and see if thermometer is close to 212F
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    @Eggcelsior & @calracefan, they are both correct, I had it backwards.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options

here is a link to show you how to do it!!

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#calibrate

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I recalibrated mine on Saturday. The one on the large is the old school one. It was off 30, but it hasn't been calibrated in about 2 years. The one on the mini is new and I never calibrated it. It was dead on at 212. It only takes a few minutes, I'm just lazy.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Another thing to do is simply clean it. The boiling water tends to make 'em look like new. 
    Twice a year is not so much, and well worth it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I replaced mine this week because I broke my original a few months ago when replacing my base with a new one (don't ask). My other was fine for 8 years. Recalibrated every so often but the new thermos are tel-tru and I like that better
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Not on the Large they del on Tuesday, but on the other 4 I have had.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Options
    I bought mine in September and it says Tru Tel on it. Do I need to mess with it?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Plano_JJ said:
    I bought mine in September and it says Tru Tel on it. Do I need to mess with it?

Very good idea to check it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options

Heat a pan of water to boiling, stick the thermo in it should read 212 F at sea level or 100 C. If it is off hold what looks like a nut (hex) on the back a nd turn the dial to make it read proper.

This.
    Boom
  • erniemcclain
    Options

If you are NOT at sea level, you can google "Boiling point of water at different elevations"

I am at about 3900' above sea level, for me, water boils at about 206.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)