Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large Pop - Firebox & Firegrate Cracked

Well I was outside cooking in the harsh Canadian winter a couple of weeks ago, actually its pretty mild as it goes, and heard a large pop, after cacking my pants thinking the ceramics had cracked and inspecting the outer ceramics with a magnifying glass followed by a large whisky, I slowly plucked up the courage to open the lid and take a peek inside.  Thankfully it wasn't as bad as all that, and still usable.  Contacted my dealer who asked for pics of the damage, and for those of you who may make a claim in the future, he said the items must remain in the egg when the pics are taken.

I am happy to say they are going to replace both items under warranty.  I don't know why this happened, it wasn't a high heat cook or anything, but I think the firegrate must have cracked and expanded and so forced the firebox to open wider and so it cracked too.

Still egging and waiting for my replacement parts.

Cheers

Hey first pics I have posted, imagine that, next one will be of a cook.

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Good info if any others have the same issue, take a pic in the egg, first action would be to take all the parts out...Thanks for sharing...
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Hmmm...I've been watching Sherlock Holmes, and even played clue once or twice in days of youth long past. 

I studied the pictures with the sharp eye of a ceramic forensic expert. Deliberated, consulted some Italian ceramic experts in Europe, drew up some formulas, solved them.    

My conclusion - heat, yes, heat, probably from fire, caused this damage.  In the study with a candle stick.  Wait, that's Clue.  ;)

Actually Stoater, I like your theory.  Must have gotten some mileage out of it, that's an older grate.

You are so analytical. My comment would be C'est la vie', say the old folks

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That's just my online schtick.  If it were me, I'd just say "awwww f*ck.".  Then pour another drink and keep grillin'.
    My fire grate looks like that but I don't think the ceramics on the inside have been damaged to my knowledge.  How cold was it? And how long had it been since you used the grill?  Gotta agree with nola here but just curious on those couple of factors.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Hmmm...I've been watching Sherlock Holmes, and even played clue once or twice in days of youth long past. 

I studied the pictures with the sharp eye of a ceramic forensic expert. Deliberated, consulted some Italian ceramic experts in Europe, drew up some formulas, solved them.    

My conclusion - heat, yes, heat, probably from fire, caused this damage.  In the study with a candle stick.  Wait, that's Clue.  ;)

Actually Stoater, I like your theory.  Must have gotten some mileage out of it, that's an older grate.

Smart arse, :\"> Actually my bge is less than a year old, so is the grate, still grilling, and drinking.
  • Stoater
    Stoater said:

Smart arse, :\"> Actually my bge is less than a year old, so is the grate, still grilling, and drinking.

I grill between 5 - 6 days a week, that might explain why it looks like it has lots of mileage, I wasn't doing super hot cooks 400 -500 maybe I got a lemon for a grate, or maybe the liquid in my glass is affecting my memory, but the first thing to go was the grate, then the ceramic firebox a week later.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I had one of my larges around 700 once and I heard a loud pop and then a couple minutes later another pop. The base and fire ring both cracked on the same cook.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Maybe too hot too fast? Was it cold out?

I'll need to be mindful of this, since I have a Costco egg. Or, go nuts on it so when it cracks, I can go get a large. Hmmm....
  • Stoater
    Well now I think about it the crack in the cast iron grate did seem to get wider, so I am thinking as I said earlier it may have forced the ceramic firebox open. Don't recall the temp though sorry.
  • My grate looks just like that!  Maybe i need to go ahead and switch it out if you think that the widening of the grate damaged the fire box.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• Stoater

My grate looks just like that!  Maybe i need to go ahead and switch it out if you think that the widening of the grate damaged the fire box.
    Well both seem to be covered under warranty so take a photo of your grate in the egg and contact your dealer and see what they say.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Should've used a mangrate...boomer sells them.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Anyone else thinking it may be time to order that Hi-Que grate?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • moontz
    moontz Posts: 15
    Interesting about needing to take the pic of the remains in the current state to have a valid claim.   Good to know.  Thanks.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I have had several claims for fireboxes and fire rings and 2 bases and the pics have always been taken outside the egg and no issues. Maybe something new but I just had a friend go to the tucker store like 2 months ago and het warranty items covered and the pics were not in the egg.
  • Stoater
    Lit said:
    I have had several claims for fireboxes and fire rings and 2 bases and the pics have always been taken outside the egg and no issues. Maybe something new but I just had a friend go to the tucker store like 2 months ago and het warranty items covered and the pics were not in the egg.
    Well we are in Canada and as usual the rules are often different.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I had a crack in my fire grate last year I live in Atlanta and went to the Mother Ship to buy another one. I had the cracked one with me and they said it was a warranty item and gave me a new one. It was about 5 years old but they didn't ask how old or anything must be a life time warranty. 

Johns Creek, Georgia