Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egghead Weightloss Competition has begun!!!

fletcherfam
fletcherfam Posts: 935
edited January 2013 in Weight Loss Forum
So the weight loss competition entry has officially ended and we have begun our competition. We have a total 12 people competing for 3 prizes. Prizes are as follows:

-ICA Kitchen Sous Vide
- $100 gift certificate to Ceramicgrillstore.com
-Something from Amaze-N-Products

This competition is base on percentage of weight lost in 12 weeks. Completion of competition is on April 1st (no April's fools jokes). We will all need to send updated pictures of our weightloss to me no later than Wednesday April 3rd by 11pm Eastern Standard Time.

Here are the players who entered. If we want to post starting weights let me know.

- Hokie_Smoker
- Cen-Tex
- Double
- Shane Wilson (handle?)
- ccpoulin1
- Tyler Martin (handle?)
- Salty Sam
- cortguitarman
- Cazzy
- Liquidicerm
- fletcherfam (Starting weight is 208.2) already lost a pound this week!! Hope you can keep up!!

Good luck to everyone. If you want to use this thread to document how you are losing the weight (recipes, etc) go ahead.

Comments

• Thanks for setting this up Fletcherfam. 

I started on Monday morning and am feeling good about it.  I've been packing my lunch instead of going with the guys from the office.  I've already saved about $20 on lunches this week when you net out what packing my lunch costs.

To put some pressure on me to stick to it, I've let everyone at work know what I'm doing.  I've also been using Daily Burn Tracker to log my food intake.  My plan is to hit the diet hard for the first three weeks then start training for a 10k.

Good luck everyone.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    So the weight loss competition entry has officially ended and we have begun our competition. We have a total 12 people competing for 3 prizes. Prizes are as follows:

-ICA Kitchen Sous Vide
    - $100 gift certificate to Ceramicgrillstore.com
    -Something from Amaze-N-Products

This competition is base on percentage of weight lost in 12 weeks. Completion of competition is on April 1st (no April's fools jokes). We will all need to send updated pictures of our weightloss to me no later than Wednesday April 3rd by 11pm Eastern Standard Time.

Here are the players who entered. If we want to post starting weights let me know.

- Hokie_Smoker
    -Tim Potts (handle?)
    - Cen-Tex
    - Double
    - Shane Wilson (handle?)
    - ccpoulin1
    - Tyler Martin (handle?)
    - Salty Sam
    - cortguitarman
    - Cazzy
    - Liquidicerm
    - fletcherfam (Starting weight is 208.2) already lost a pound this week!! Hope you can keep up!!

Good luck to everyone. If you want to use this thread to document how you are losing the weight (recipes, etc) go ahead.
    did you get mine, i sent them in monday and posted about it, i can resend
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Good Luck to everyone, be cheering you on. Getting healthier is a great way to start the year.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Yes fishless, sorry I got yours as well.
  • fishlessman
    Yes fishless, sorry I got yours as well.

thanks, you can post my starting weight,220, ill probably post it every monday or tuesday anyways as i need to shoot for shorter goals to stay with it

fukahwee maine

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I wonder if the wok store is going to see a surge in sales this week?
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    edited January 2013
    Tonight's weight loss inspired cook. Napa cabbage raps with homemade fried rice. I don't have a wok, so I used a DO for the fried rice. Worked great.

Lost a pound this week already. Started on Monday. Off to do my p90x workout after the kids go to bed. I'm so sore!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • BYS1981 said:
    I wonder if the wok store is going to see a surge in sales this week?

I know they got an order from me last week.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Ha ha ha, excited to see all the healthy meals everyone cooks on the egg. I am doing a spatchcock chicken this weekend on the egg with a veggie side. Then turning the left overs into healthified chicken enchiladas on the egg.
  • Tonight I'm cheating. Pizza on the egg is just too good to pass up. I usually cheat a little on weekends. It helps me stick to the healthy stuff throughout the week and gives me something to look forward to.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • As someone who lost 60 lbs (225 to 165) two years ago and has kept it off, thought you competitors may want some tips.

First - use a food diary/calorie tracker app on your phone. That way if you want to "cheat" as mentioned above, you can budget your calorie intake. I use "MyFitnessPal".

Second - eat some good protein for breakfast. Mine consists of two eggs worth of eggbeaters and 3 strips of turkey bacon. This keeps you from being starving to death at lunchtime.

Third - if you like meat (and I highly doubt you're in this forum if you don't), switch to grass fed beef. IMO you get a better tasting product and you significantly reduce calories and bad fats while getting a boost in good fats. That way you can still enjoy burgers, steaks, etc.

These 3 things worked for me.

Good luck!
  • I have switched to grass fed but I do not like the taste at all. We are committed to switching though because of the good fats in grass fed over grain/corn fed. I can't get past the "sour" taste but I know I'll get used to it eventually. I'll never give up eating beef so I'm willing to put in the time retraining my taste buds to like grass fed.

Guilt free pot roast, ribeyes, pulled chuckies....it's worth it. 
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    last diet plan i was on limited red meat to 1x/7 days and portion was 150g.  When that day came I ate what I liked.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• fishlessman
    BigWader said:
    last diet plan i was on limited red meat to 1x/7 days and portion was 150g.  When that day came I ate what I liked.
    thats why i like the atkins plan, red meat 3 times a day, 5 times a day if you want to. breakfasts can be strange though, steak eggs and a veggie
    :))
    fukahwee maine

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    yeah - the plan - Dr Bernstein which I followed but didn't go for the injections and urinalysis severly limited calories.  Most days I was at about 1200 but I could eat 1/2 lb or more veggies.  Dropped 5-7 pounds a week though with no exercise (no energy).  I boosted protein powders to prevent muscle loss.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Portion control, exercise and (gulp) alcohol reduction are my main plans of attack. I might have to learn how to turn that treadmill-thing in the basement on. Yuck. Good thing it's pick-up basketball season.
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • booze reduction is the killer for me. I actually eat fairly well most of the time and I know how to eat really well. I never feel like i'm eating bad food when i go lean. It's the booze that gets me.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

I'm so glad I'm not in this game for that very reason

:((

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Yea booze has never been that big of a deal for me. Yea I like a drink every once in a while (like twice a month) but other than that I don't really care if I have one or not.

I use myfitnesspal.com and love it. So easy to use, it has really been a game changer for me in my healthy eating changes.

I personally like grass fed burgers over most regular burgers, better flavor in my opinion. I agree though the other cuts there are some getting used to, both in taste and in how to cook them.
  • fishlessman
    for this to work for me its just say no to the booze, i find reduction to be impossible, all in or all out. i thought going from 12/15/or more shots of whiskey a night plus a couple beers to a bowl of chicken broth a night would be difficult but it wasnt
    fukahwee maine

• I'm pretty much all in or out as well. I am a horrible moderator (says the guy in a weight loss competition). It's not hard after a few days but I would rather have none than one or 2.

• BTW- That is a respectable amount of Whiskey you were putting down. It's rare that others make me feel better about my drinking habits. :))

• fishlessman
    BTW- That is a respectable amount of Whiskey you were putting down. It's rare that others make me feel better about my drinking habits. :))

this diet is going to save me some money hahaha

fukahwee maine

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    lost 4lbs this week.
    Lynnwood WA
  • for this to work for me its just say no to the booze, i find reduction to be impossible, all in or all out. i thought going from 12/15/or more shots of whiskey a night plus a couple beers to a bowl of chicken broth a night would be difficult but it wasnt

That's a boatload of whiskey! Ive cut back from 3-4 beers per week to 1 or 2. I thought I was cutting way back!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

for this to work for me its just say no to the booze, i find reduction to be impossible, all in or all out. i thought going from 12/15/or more shots of whiskey a night plus a couple beers to a bowl of chicken broth a night would be difficult but it wasnt
    That's a boatload of whiskey! Ive cut back from 3-4 beers per week to 1 or 2. I thought I was cutting way back!
    Damn right. I'm what "difficult" is to him. I have seen patients in withdrawal on less than that.
    I have switched to grass fed but I do not like the taste at all. We are committed to switching though because of the good fats in grass fed over grain/corn fed. I can't get past the "sour" taste but I know I'll get used to it eventually. I'll never give up eating beef so I'm willing to put in the time retraining my taste buds to like grass fed.

Hee Hee. People say the same thing about Diet Coke. 
  • I've been really good this week but I bought a half gallon of Elijah Craig, 12 year old bourbon for this weekend.  I guess I'll start from scratch on Monday.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• for this to work for me its just say no to the booze, i find reduction to be impossible, all in or all out. i thought going from 12/15/or more shots of whiskey a night plus a couple beers to a bowl of chicken broth a night would be difficult but it wasnt
    LMFAO........If I only had 3-4 drinks per week I would consider myself a Mormon!  From 4 down to 2 would only save 200 calories or so.  You could just shave twice a day to burn those calories off.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    LMFAO........If I only had 3-4 drinks per week I would consider myself a Mormon!  From 4 down to 2 would only save 200 calories or so.  You could just shave twice a day to burn those calories off.
    At least razor-burn the calories off
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Damn right. I'm what "difficult" is to him. I have seen patients in withdrawal on less than that.
    I have switched to grass fed but I do not like the taste at all. We are committed to switching though because of the good fats in grass fed over grain/corn fed. I can't get past the "sour" taste but I know I'll get used to it eventually. I'll never give up eating beef so I'm willing to put in the time retraining my taste buds to like grass fed.

Hee Hee. People say the same thing about Diet Coke. 
    My archilles heel isn't the diet coke, it's the Kentucky bourbon mixed in with it.  Sho tastes good, though. :D