Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

"The" new hot tub arrived today.....

The polyscience sous vide arrive 34 days early.  I didn't get real excited when I saw the package because I thought it was my order from Amazon a day early (new shoes and toasted marshmellow syrup for campfire martinis).  MDSH asked what was soooo heavy and WOW.  There it was.  Then I had to tell him what I bought.  Let the fun begin.

Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
·

Comments

• paqmanpaqman Posts: 1,654
    Congrats!

Schweet
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,197
    koooool (aid)!

·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,122
    Go Granny Go!!!!
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,320
    GrannyX4 said:

The polyscience sous vide arrive 34 days early.  I didn't get real excited when I saw the package because I thought it was my order from Amazon a day early (new shoes and toasted marshmellow syrup for campfire martinis).  MDSH asked what was soooo heavy and WOW.  There it was.  Then I had to tell him what I bought.  Let the fun begin.

What did you get darlin?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,458
    I got the polyscience creative series sous vide kit.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,030
    Another convert to the dark side, look forward to your comments. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Congrats!!!  I'm currently working on trying to get one with Marriott points.  I can get Williams-Sonoma gift cards with points and they sell the Polyscience  unit.  I've requested the card, now I wait.  Now I need suggestions on vacuum sealers.  My old Food Saver is on its last leg.  Is it worth popping for a heavier duty sealer???
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
    ·
  • "Is it worth popping for a heavier duty sealer???"

Not for SV purposes. You can do it in a ziplock bag so there is no benefit to a "heavier duty"'sealer to cook SV.

·
  • I'm interested in the poly sci creative.  I still want to be able to finish (sear) with the egg instead of torch or skillet.  Can I still do that or is torch/skillet essentially replacing the egg sear?
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,197
    You just want enough air out of the bag so it isn't a witch, I mean, doesn't float. 

@burr_baby33 - I use the egg for most of my searing after SV.  I've only used the torch a couple of times.

·
    I'm starting to keep a log book of time and temp., as there are so many variables. Two days ago I did boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I used my jaccard, then brined with Oakridge's brine mix for 1-1/2 hours. Sous Vide @ 147 for 2 hours, then seared. Super moist and tender, this is my magic number for breast from now on. I'm may keep experimenting with different temps., but I don't think I could get it any better.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,290
    billyray said:
    I'm starting to keep a log book of time and temp., as there are so many variables. Two days ago I did boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I used my jaccard, then brined with Oakridge's brine mix for 1-1/2 hours. Sous Vide @ 147 for 2 hours, then seared. Super moist and tender, this is my magic number for breast from now on. I'm may keep experimenting with different temps., but I don't think I could get it any better.
    Do you like that brine? I have a 2-lb bag but I haven't used it yet. I usually go to my old standby of salt-sugar-water and right when I start to combine, I remember "dammit, I have this in the cabinet". 
    ·
    I like it alot. Just add water and some ice to chill quickly (1 cup of mix to 1/2 gallon of water). I've added some different herbs and aromatics for other meats when I remember to do it.
    ·