Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thats not wood your egg is on is it?

So i'm getting an large egg soon can I put it on my wooden deck or will I burn the house down??
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Oh, I should mention it will be in a table on a table nest over some sort of stone.

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710

A few assuptions here, but it shouldn't be a problem. i) Not a covered deck ii) I'd get some mats to protect my deck from sparks coming out bottom of BGE

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Shouldn't be a problem, use a BBQ mat placed under the cooker just to be safe if you want.  I would use the spark arester screen that comes on each new Egg as a precaution as well.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• I had mine in a nest on a wood deck for a couple years. I did have a fire mat in front of it to catch the hot coals that spit out when the screen is open on the bottom vent. The mat was sold by ACE in the BBQ section. I never had an issue but I did keep an eye on it and had a fire extinguisher handy just in case but never needed it. Enjoy your egg! Bill
  • CANMAN1976
    Unfortunatley there is no Ace store here in Canada.I'll have to look around a bit.So what are these fire proof mats made of? How effective are these screens that come on the egg...do most eggers use them?              

• MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    The screen is very effective. I have never had sparks come out of my bottom vent.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Canadian tire has them in the spring and HD as well.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Canada?  For now, you can use a layer of ice to protect your deck.  :)

I don't have anything on my wood deck - table on the egg.  With the fire screen, the only sparks I get outside the egg are with lighting it.  Grease stains - well, that's a completely real problem.
    Yes Canadian tire the spring is pretty much my only option for the mat.I live in a pretty remote area and Canadian tire is all I have besides home hardware that is.No fires tonight thats for sure!!

It's a cool -20 celcius here right now with the wind chill.
    ^#(^

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I just moved mine on the deck.  I am very nervous about it and after I shut it down I still sleep very lightly all night keeping an eye out for fire.

I have been looking for a fireproof mat but have not found one.  One Egger suggested a piece of petal plate that would go under a car (oil catcher I think).

Garnerville, NY
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    The suggestions for a mat are good, but defintiely heed the tip about having a (working) fire extinguisher close by, and inspect it regularly. Fires can get out of hand very quickly.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CANMAN1976
    Maybe for those overnight cooks I could hose the deck down a little with the garden hose. A wet deck surely would be less of a fire hazard.
    It's funny because last summer I had a struggle to get a fire going in our back yard during the summer it even came down to using lighter fluid.....and now a straggler sinder is going to cause a fire???

Jamie.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    robnybbq said:
    I just moved mine on the deck.  I am very nervous about it and after I shut it down I still sleep very lightly all night keeping an eye out for fire.

I have been looking for a fireproof mat but have not found one.  One Egger suggested a piece of petal plate that would go under a car (oil catcher I think).

robnybbq - haha - sounds like you don't need a fireproof mat as much as a shrink ;)  Just messin' with ya.  SWMBO is OCD - I deal with "did I lock the door?" all the time.  Did we turn off the stove?  If you shut the vent and put the ceramic top on the egg, it ain't catchin' on fire.  Every incandescent light bulb in your house has a tungsten filament that's 5 times hotter with just a thin layer of glass between it and your lovely house.  That fire isn't gonna burn through the ceramic. 
    Fire extinguisher... check!!!

• crabboy
    crabboy Posts: 19
    I don't have anything on my wood deck - table on the egg.  With the fire screen, the only sparks I get outside the egg are with lighting it.  Grease stains - well, that's a completely real problem.
    I hear you with the stains.  I have my egg in a table on the deck and the drippings and other have left its mark on the wood.  Other than lighting and maybe blazing a pizza, I've not seen a hint of problem with the deck catching file while running under 450.  My stoker fan usually blocks the bottom hole anyway.
  • CANMAN1976
    So another reason to get a stoker,guru or whatever!!! Honey we need it so we don't burn the house down!!!  lol

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Maybe for those overnight cooks I could hose the deck down a little with the garden hose. A wet deck surely would be less of a fire hazard.

Jamie.
    That's a good idea, stolen!  
    I make sure I use the screens, and I tried lighting the fire with a blowtorch only once; too many sparks, I stick with the paraffin squares now.  
    My old wooden deck has an overhead grid with a Reisling grapevine covering it, this fall the weight of the vine cracked a few supporting beams.  I'll be trimming the vine back substantially, installing a pagoda, and installing either stamped concrete or flagstone on the ground early next spring.  My back hurts just thinking about it, but it'll look good when its done.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    Ask Nature Boy of Dizzy Pig fame about the dangers of an egg on a wooden deck. He lost his house a few years back.
  • CANMAN1976
    Little piece of heaven you got there hapster...awesome set-up!!!

I like the nest and table to the side idea...gives me some ideas seeing that i'm not that handy with a saw:(

Must be a nice view from up there??

Jamie.

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Canada?  For now, you can use a layer of ice to protect your deck.  :)

Not worried about the ceramic - I am worried about an ember hitting the deck while sleeping.  The deck is off the kitchen.  If there was a fire I would need to go past the kitchen to get out.  At that point no fire extinguisher will help.

Garnerville, NY
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Ask Nature Boy of Dizzy Pig fame about the dangers of an egg on a wooden deck. He lost his house a few years back.

That isn't the way Chris's happened. Mine did but is wasn't the egg exactly

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The grill pad I have from ACE is available on Amazon...I had a round one. They come from The Original Grill Pad company. http://www.grillpad.com/products/original.html
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    My neighbor lost his front porch from his egg. However, his table had years of grease build up, and he had a bottle of Citronella Oil on the lower shelf of his egg table. I burned a few holes in my other deck when I didn't close the screen and lost a small chunk of lump. Didn't catch the pressure treated deck on fire, but sure burned a hole all the way through the wood.
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Put a mangrate under it...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2013
    robnybbq said:

robnybbq - haha - sounds like you don't need a fireproof mat as much as a shrink ;)  Just messin' with ya.  SWMBO is OCD - I deal with "did I lock the door?" all the time.  Did we turn off the stove?  If you shut the vent and put the ceramic top on the egg, it ain't catchin' on fire.  Every incandescent light bulb in your house has a tungsten filament that's 5 times hotter with just a thin layer of glass between it and your lovely house.  That fire isn't gonna burn through the ceramic. 
    Agreed - more chance of your furnace bowing up then a snuffed egg causing any trouble. 
    I can understand SWMBO being OCD living with "Mr. Bigweld" and although us Canucks can use a protective layer of ice over the deck, your deck is pretty much waterproof as the ground water level is such you need hip waders to get to it from the house....

@CANMAN1976 Home Hardware can get you one of these:
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!