Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wicked Good....I am a convert!

I have been using BGE lump almost exclusively. From time to time I have used royal oak. After reading a few threads from the forum of people touting Wicked Good lump, I bought a few bags. Great big pieces of lump, nice light, great smelling smoke. Very happy with this find. Thanks all.
When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO

Comments

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    The name says it all.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    I finally opened the Wicked Good I bought a couple of months ago.  Very impressed burned hot and evenly, not hard to control and wasn't hard to light. (Not much is hard to light with a weed burner.) 

• rabdogg
    rabdogg Posts: 43
    I made the switch a few months ago. I love the stuff and buy bags from Ace as often as possible.
    Green Eggin' in Lafayette, Louisiana
  • I have the same success with Cowboy.....would anyone say that WG is better than Cowboy? have not tried it.
    Brandon, MS
  • Badong
    Badong Posts: 126
    Just did a 22 hour smoke with a brisket and a shoulder.  Could not believe how much lump was left!  Like almost half!
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    I haven't had the same success with Cowboy at all.  In the past six months, I've tried several 5lb bags picked up from Home Depot.  Each bag contained one or two enormous pieces of lump (about as big as my forearm), with the rest being about marble sized.  That's just big enough to clog the air holes in the firebox.  Additionally, I pulled out three or four pieces of concrete from each bag.  Junk, in my book.

It works in a pinch when I'm running low on lump, especially since HD is so close, however, I prefer Royal Oak. Unfortunately, the Menards in town doesn't carry it during the winter months.  This post might just be the kick I need to go place a special order for Wicked Good at Ace.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

I have the same success with Cowboy.....would anyone say that WG is better than Cowboy? have not tried it.

wicked good burns longer than cowboy but wicked good is more dense and heavy so you get less mass in a 22 pound bag of wicked good than you do in a 20 pound bag of cowboy. I use both cowboy for my small.and mini and wicked good for my large and XL. Wicked good has too many big pieces for the small and mini.
  • SaltySam said:
    I haven't had the same success with Cowboy at all.  In the past six months, I've tried several 5lb bags picked up from Home Depot.  Each bag contained one or two enormous pieces of lump (about as big as my forearm), with the rest being about marble sized.  That's just big enough to clog the air holes in the firebox.  Additionally, I pulled out three or four pieces of concrete from each bag.  Junk, in my book.

It works in a pinch when I'm running low on lump, especially since HD is so close, however, I prefer Royal Oak. Unfortunately, the Menards in town doesn't carry it during the winter months.  This post might just be the kick I need to go place a special order for Wicked Good at Ace.

I guess I need to try a bag of WG and compare them. I have always gotten very even pieces from Cowboy. lots of larger and smaller pieces.
    Brandon, MS
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I only use cowboy if I can find the 20 pound bags. The smaller bags are not good.
  • I have the same success with Cowboy.....would anyone say that WG is better than Cowboy? have not tried it.
    The Cowboy I tried a while back seemed to have a lot of sparks IMHO.  I used WG about 99% of the time now.  If I am out of WG, I'll run to Wally World and get RO.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    I only use wicked good!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • I use the GFS lump made by RO for everyday.  WG for low & slows.  GFS is right around the corner from me, I don't have to order it because it's in stock and its $7.00 per bag cheaper than WG.
    Flint, Michigan
  • crabboy
    crabboy Posts: 19
    I used Wicked Good all the time and love it. I've gone through quite a few bags of Cowboy and can't stand it.  I only use Cowboy if I'm desperate.  
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    cowboy 20 pounders are readily available year round here.  i can get 20+ on a load doing low and slow.  never saw the need to online order wicked good since i have a ready supplier.  may order it now since it is all the rage around here
  • I buy WG every time there is a sale at ACE, then I get them to ship to store close to me.  I like it best of anything I have tried.  Would only switch for Ozark Oak (but still haven't tried it yet).

My backup is red bag RO.  We have lots of lump around here, but not that many good ones.

WG give great burn time and quality.  Starts quickly and can do with any food.  Used to buy cheap mesquite lump and it made fish taste nasty IMO.
  • Lit, appreciate the feedback (confirmation) on the small and mini. I picked up a mini over the holidays and was telling a fellow egger (converted neighbor) that I was contemplating maybe BGE charcoal for the mini vs Wicked Good. What kind of luck (if any) have you had with low and slow on the mini? Thanks
    Minneapolis / St. Paul. Large & Mini
  • The last 3 bags of Wicked Good that I purchased were awesome.  I opened all three when I got home and dumped them in a mud box I use to mix mortar.  Excellent size distribution with many large pieces.  I use a brick mason hammer to brake the big chunks down to manageable pieces.  There was not a lot of fine dust or marble sized pieces.  RO and Cowboy are loaded with powder and marble size pieces.  I am a convert and the price at ACE is the best.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Just opened my first bag this weekend for ribs and holy awesome.  First piece that fell out was a log - literally like 10 inches long and 4-5 inches in diameter.  I didn't try and break it down since it was laying on old small chips/shards from the end of my last bag of Maple Leaf Charcoal - formerly my preference.  Had no issues going 225 for 5 hours and then ramping to 350 to cook some cornbread.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Wicked Good +1 for me.  Just started my 2nd bag and I LOVE it
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    i buy mine on line from wicked good web site i have them in 3 days fedex with shipping its a little cheaper than the places that sell them around here
  • wmrrock
    wmrrock Posts: 30
    I have the same success with Cowboy.....would anyone say that WG is better than Cowboy? have not tried it.
    I have had nothing but bad luck with Cowboy.  It has a lot of junk mixed in it, doesnt burn evenly and creates more ash than a cremated body. 
  • Hate it. Takes way too long for my impatient rear end to light.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • I am a fan of Wicked Good (my Ace has the "Weekend Warrior" kind), but the only other kinds I have used are the BGE brand (good) and the Publix "Greenwise" brand (not so good).  The WGWW seems to take longer to light (I used starter squares), but it seems to last forever.  I filled my large to just a little below the top of the fire box before a 16+ hour pork butt at 225-250 degrees. The picture below shows what was left (about half) when I opened it up for my next cook.
  • Got my first batch last weekend. Add me to the fan club. I haven't had any problems starting it, but I use an electric starter.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Max232
    Max232 Posts: 76
    I want to try out the wicked good, there are a few ace stores in my area, do all ace stores carry it?

Stereo egging w/ xl and med eggs! BBQ guru

http://www.facebook.com/BeerGutsAndPorkButtsBbq

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Max232 said:

I want to try out the wicked good, there are a few ace stores in my area, do all ace stores carry it?

Apparently, you can order it from the Ace website and have it shipped free to your local store.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

Hate it. Takes way too long for my impatient rear end to light.

Agreed, plus with my limited experience with it, WGWW is more ashy than this guy:

Plus, it's too expensive compared to RO; as @SamFerrise would say "I'd rather save my money for meat".
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Royal Oak @ Restaurant Depot too good of a deal to pass up
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    I have nothing but good things to say about WGWW and nothing but bad things to say about Cowboy. Cowboy is often quite cheap around here but you get what you pay for. WGWW is more expensive, but it also lasts, longer so paying a little extra for it doesn't really bother me.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.