Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Korean BBQ Beef Short Ribs (Kalbi)

The marinade on this dish is incredible.  If you are skeptical, go to the recipe link and look at the comments.
Recipe link: Click here.  Also, look at the video.

I did use the flanken beef shortribs, but also I used thinly sliced flap steak.  My wife and I decided we liked the flap steak a bit better.
I took the used marinade, put it in a saucepan and cooked julienned snow peas in it.  They were great too.

If you dieters (and I'm one) are looking for low carb, this is it, Baby !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• Awesome Gary! Thanks.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Awesome!  Kalbi is one of my favorite things... thank you for the recipe!
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I hope that is some $4 vino from HEB in that glass. I dont think Hog's and fine wine go together. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
    also, I'm in awe of your pictures. You should bequeath me your D300. Later of course but leave it to me none the less. 
  • I hope that is some $4 vino from HEB in that glass. I dont think Hog's and fine wine go together. 
    Uh, I don't think Drill Sergeants and fine wine go together either.   :))

By the way, I upgraded to a D600.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Looks amazing. I looked at that recipe last year, but had no idea where to find Asian pears.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• travisstrick
    I hope that is some $4 vino from HEB in that glass. I dont think Hog's and fine wine go together. 
    Uh, I don't think Drill Sergeants and fine wine go together either.   :))

By the way, I upgraded to a D600.
    Thats because I'm whats known as an enigma. 
  • Thats because I'm whats known as an enigma. 

You, sir, are a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key.  That key is American national interest."

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Nice cook! Korean food in general is great, in my opinion. Wish we had a good place for it around here.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Crap old man, you did it again ^:)^
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Travis when you come to lunch next week we will go to one of the Korean places in Killeen and talk bad about Gary. Hell Centex, you and your lovely wife can come also (she is to nice to talk about Gary but the three of us can).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Where did you get the short ribs from?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Mickey
    edited January 2013
    Griffin said:
    Looks amazing. I looked at that recipe last year, but had no idea where to find Asian pears.
    You have Central Market (the flagship HEB).

• Mickey said:
    Travis when you come to lunch next week we will go to one of the Korean places in Killeen and talk bad about Gary. Hell Centex, you and your lovely wife can come also (she is to nice to talk about Gary but the three of us can).

would love to but I'll be in NYC all week. Can I submit my trash talk by mail or fax? Or should I just post it here on the forum?
  • @Griffin You have a Ranch 99 Supermarket in Dallas.  That is the finest Asian grocery I've ever seen.  You can eat off the floor it is so clean.  It's at: 131 West Spring Creek Parkway, Plano, TX 75023 .  They have Asian Pears, flanken beef ribs, etc. etc.

@JohninCarolina. If you have a Asian grocery, they'll have them.  Otherwise, have your butcher cut them "flanken".

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    Mickey said:

would love to but I'll be in NYC all week. Can I submit my trash talk by mail or fax? Or should I just post it here on the forum?

Mickey said:

OK, Here is the deal>>>> We pick (by we, I am talking everyone on the forum) a day next week and have lunch in a Korean place. Then we all talk about Gary at lunch. Now Gary I will invite to you to Killeen for lunch (hell I will put you and Pam up at the house as well). If I am going to talk about you I would sure rather you be there my friend. I am serious on the invitation to Salado, anytime. ANd serious on the lunch invitation as well. See what those outstanding looking  short ribs have done.

• Mickey said:
    OK, Here is the deal>>>> We pick (by we, I am talking everyone on the forum) a day next week and have lunch in a Korean place. Then we all talk about Gary at lunch. Now Gary I will invite to you to Killeen for lunch (hell I will put you and Pam up at the house as well). If I am going to talk about you I would sure rather you be there my friend. I am serious on the invitation to Salado, anytime. ANd serious on the lunch invitation as well. See what those outstanding looking  short ribs have done.
    At first, I thought you said you were going to talk bad about Travis, and I was going to decline because I don't talk bad about anyone.  However, in rereading, I see it is about me.  And, I concur that I am a good subject to talk bad about.

However, that morning, I will be feeding some homeless wounded veterans from cooks on my Egg.  Then, later on, I am giving blood for children with cancer.  In the afternoon, I am volunteering at the local SPCA and the Dachshund Rescue Society.  Of course, in the evening, we have prayer service.  So, I won't be able to attend, but I thank you from the bottom of my heart.  

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey said:
    Mickey said:

Mickey said:

Awesome- I'll be eating at Shilla in Koreatown in NYC. Best Korean in the city and I'll be on the company dime. Let the games begin :)http://shillanyc.com/
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    VI, looks mighty fine as always. With all the sugar in the sauce how do you keep it from charring?
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Mickey
    What day are you going to be there. I will see if Travis can make it here. Everyone take a picture and send it to the forum. If we can't cook as well as Gary we might as well eat and think about his service to humanity as he posted above. How the man can do all that in his day.

• GrannyX4 said:
    VI, looks mighty fine as always. With all the sugar in the sauce how do you keep it from charring?
    Granny.  Thanks. The meat slices are very thin .. about 1/4", so it doesn't take long to cook them.  I had a hot fire and probably kept each piece on about 1 minute, then flipped it for another minute.  Worked out well.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey said:
    What day are you going to be there. I will see if Travis can make it here. Everyone take a picture and send it to the forum. If we can't cook as well as Gary we might as well eat and think about his service to humanity as he posted above. How the man can do all that in his day.
    Please, Mickey.  I am a modest man and look not for accolades.  Just service to my fellow man.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Village Idiot said:  By the way, I upgraded to a D600.
    When a member of my Home Theater forum upgrades a piece of equipment, we all post a hearty, fun-loving "You Suck!!" to him/her.  But we don't do that here, so I can't tell you you suck.  Even though you do.

:D

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Botch said:
    When a member of my Home Theater forum upgrades a piece of equipment, we all post a hearty, fun-loving "You Suck!!" to him/her.  But we don't do that here, so I can't tell you you suck.  Even though you do.

Botch,

I've wanted to get back to the FX format ever since digital was invented.  I got my first 35mm in 1971 (Nikon Nikkormat), and have never understood the DX lens focal length multiplier of 1.5, etc.  Finally, an affordable FX and I can also use most of my DX lenses.
    :)

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    @Botch. That is served so nice. But even I will not touch it.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Botch said:

Botch,

I've wanted to get back to the FX format ever since digital was invented.  I got my first 35mm in 1971 (Nikon Nikkormat), and have never understood the DX lens focal length multiplier of 1.5, etc.  Finally, an affordable FX and I can also use most of my DX lenses.
    :)
    I'm actually happy with the DX format; I do mostly nature photography and with my D200 my biggest lens (a 300f4) was suddenly a 450f4, which I otherwise would not be able to afford (and yes, I realize cropping an FX image on my computer would give me the same thing).  
    I've always wished that we'd go away from the "focal length" spec of lenses altogether, and instead go with angle of view (ie 90 degree, 18 degree, 3 degree, etc).  

@Mickey:  I used a smilie.... 
    ;;)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited January 2013
    Your Kalbi looks great VI! Thx for the recipe
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Gotta try this recipe! Looks fantastic! My wife and I are doing low carb too, so this is right up our alley. Bookmarked.
  • This recipe has a full cup of sugar in it. Even though it's awesome, it's not low carb
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    I'll use splenda instead.