Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first time steaks!

daffy1909
daffy1909 Posts: 498
going to try steaks for the first time,ive read lots about the reverse sear,but was wondering do i cook with the dome down?and what temp and time?my steaks r sirloins,about the size of baseballs! im marinating them in teryaki sauce,any suggestions???

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I always keep the dome closed unless I'm checkin' the temp or flippin' stuff.  Doesn't really matter if the dome is open or closed if you're searing, since most of the heat comes from radiation from the hot burning coals. 

Get a decent instant read thermometer and you take the guesswork out of baseball-sized steaks, or anything that is done at internal temp. 

NOLA is right, other than wokking or searing, The Egg is at its best with that dome shut. You should only flip a steak once. Look at this post from a beef tenderloin I did the other day using the reverse sear method. Best thing I did was get a decent thermometer. Paid 20 bucks for it at Academy and it works great. If it craps out, Im going to get a better one.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1146840/beef-tenderloin-was-a-success#latest

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2013
    daffy1909 said:
    going to try steaks for the first time,ive read lots about the reverse sear,but was wondering do i cook with the dome down?and what temp and time?my steaks r sirloins,about the size of baseballs! im marinating them in teryaki sauce,any suggestions???
    For reverse sear, indirect cook the steaks 250 dome, dome closed. When internal is 5-10 below the desired internal, remove the steaks, foil covered and held in a warm place while the setter/upper grid and drip pan is removed. Put a grid on the fire ring, close the dome and let the egg heat for maybe 5-10 minutes, bottom and top vents open. Now sear your steaks, maybe 60 seconds a side. Serve. 

As a note, I put my CI grid under the setter. Once the indirect cook is done, the CI grid is already hot and it is one less thing to move....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • daffy1909

steaks turned out perfect!!!!!!its hard cause the wife likes hers well i like mine med rare!!!!but they turned out great!!!thanks everyone for the tips!looking forward to next bbq!tomorrow?!!!!

• I went through that with my wife when we first married, but now she won't eat a steak unless it is medium rare. :D
  • daffy1909
    I went through that with my wife when we first married, but now she won't eat a steak unless it is medium rare. :D

im getting her closer!she used to like well done!almost beef jerky!but now a little pink is ok!

• daffy1909 said:
    For reverse sear, indirect cook the steaks 250 dome, dome closed. When internal is 5-10 below the desired internal, remove the steaks, foil covered and held in a warm place while the setter/upper grid and drip pan is removed. Put a grid on the fire ring, close the dome and let the egg heat for maybe 5-10 minutes, bottom and top vents open. Now sear your steaks, maybe 60 seconds a side. Serve. 

As a note, I put my CI grid under the setter. Once the indirect cook is done, the CI grid is already hot and it is one less thing to move....
    I am going to try my steaks like this tonight. how long do you think it would take the steaks to get to 120 degree IT cooking at 250 pit temp? Thanks for any suggestions!
    Brandon, MS
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    daffy1909 said:

I am going to try my steaks like this tonight. how long do you think it would take the steaks to get to 120 degree IT cooking at 250 pit temp? Thanks for any suggestions!
    depending on thickness your looking anywhere from 20 min to an hour.  last time i did about 1.5 inch ribeyes at 250 grid it was about 45 mins to 115