Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Back on track

Aight guys, so back on target and let's talk about cooking.

Mrs. Clause brought me a coupon for a new egg. I want either a small or medium. Have a large now.

1. How long can u cook on each of these? I can keep my large going for well over 20 hrs figured with less lump might not last as long. I understand its a smaller area too. So any one with experience please comment.

2. Anyone have a two egg table picture?

3. Does the bge pizza stone fit in small or medium?

I've called my dealer and he's got both in stock just waiting on me ;)

P.S.
no more politics or guns from me. Just eggin and lovin

XLBGE 

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Not what you ask for but toss a Mini in the bowl. I ended up selling my Small and use the Mini 80% more than the Large.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I own a MBGE, it will hold for 12 hours at 250 grid, my longest cook, and there was quite a bit of lump left in the firebox, so I'm thinking 15 to 18 is quite doable. This is with a High-Que grate. 
    At the felt line the 2012 MBGE is <16 inches, the SS OME grid is actually 15-3/4", the CI is just a touch over 15". A pizza stone located at the felt line should be about 13" for air flow, so I use a cheapy from Kitchen Collection, has worked fine for six months. If the BGE stone is 13" or less, you are OK, provided you don't try and raise the stone up into the dome too much. 
    The medium is the poor cousin in the family, less accessories etc.... but it fits our needs perfectly. Recently someone posted that a good alternative may be to buy a second large, two the same you can share accessories. If you plan to go portable - the small might fit the ticket.

What a nice problem to have! 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    If I was considering the medium...I'd get another large. The small would be nice for traveling.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    The large & small are the most common combinations...you will be happy no matter what...
  • vidalia1 said:

The large & small are the most common combinations...you will be happy no matter what...

This is for traveling purposes. I travel with my large but something smaller would be nice. I just don't see getting use out of a mini. Usually when I cook I'm cooking the whole meal on the egg and my large can fill up quick. That's why I was thinking medium.

XLBGE 
  • Another large is out of the question.

XLBGE 
  • I own a MBGE, it will hold for 12 hours at 250 grid, my longest cook, and there was quite a bit of lump left in the firebox, so I'm thinking 15 to 18 is quite doable. This is with a High-Que grate. 

At the felt line the 2012 MBGE is <16 inches, the SS OME grid is actually 15-3/4", the CI is just a touch over 15". A pizza stone located at the felt line should be about 13" for air flow, so I use a cheapy from Kitchen Collection, has worked fine for six months. If the BGE stone is 13" or less, you are OK, provided you don't try and raise the stone up into the dome too much. 
    The medium is the poor cousin in the family, less accessories etc.... but it fits our needs perfectly. Recently someone posted that a good alternative may be to buy a second large, two the same you can share accessories. If you plan to go portable - the small might fit the ticket.

What a nice problem to have! 
    I wanna be able to do pizzas and low and slows while camping tail gating and stuff

XLBGE 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited January 2013
    1. How long can u cook on each of these? I can keep my large going for well over 20 hrs figured with less lump might not last as long. I understand its a smaller area too. So any one with experience please comment. 

I've done a 15 hour burn with a lil lump to spare.  I filled the egg up with very big hand picked pieces of lump.  

2. Anyone have a two egg table picture? 

I bought a small woo and 10" stone from Tom @ CGS.  Works perfectly for my needs.  

I recommend getting the high-que too.  Also, I highly recommend the small, it's a great lil egg and travels easily...alot easier that it is for you to pack up your large.  I've cooked for 14 one weekend with a small so don't think it can't hold it's own cuz it can.  Good luck!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Awaiting delivery of a new medium as we speak

I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • FWIW, I love my small.  It's a powerful cooker and with the woo & stones, it can do most anything you have a mind to.  It travels well and set-up and take down is simple and straight forward.  I highly recommend it!
    Flint, Michigan
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I own a large and 100% will be buying a small in the spring. Perfect compliment.
    Boom
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    I have a large and a small. The small with do your pork butts no problem, I find for just my wife and I we will do the smaller butts on the small egg. If we are grilling for bigger numbers of people then the large steps up to the plate. Also the small if perfect IMO for tailgating and RVing. It isnt' to heavy to pack around. The large for me is pushing it abit. I have carried my small to many different locations. You could also get a little two wheeled cart for it as well. We are very content with the large/small combo. Good luck on what ever you decide. Having two eggs is great.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • @smokesniffer - Tell me more about the two wheeled cart for the small.  Thanks! 
    Flint, Michigan
  • I'm going today to put my hands on them. Small is really what I want for travel but I wanna see how much bigger the medium is.

@cazzy
    Your table is sick!! I'm thinking some type of L design with one egg close to each end with work space in middle.

My dealer here in town is a jerk. Highest prices around. I'm go buy there to look. But first chance I can go to the dealer I buy from is next weekend

XLBGE 
  • Just my .02, but I own an XL, and Large. My next egg will be a medium. Then a small, and a mini after that. I guess my point is that we will keep finding a new reason to need another one until we have the whole family. After that, we get twins lol. Or is this just me?

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

•  Or is this just me?
    If you're solipsistic, it's just you.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Just my .02, but I own an XL, and Large. My next egg will be a medium. Then a small, and a mini after that. I guess my point is that we will keep finding a new reason to need another one until we have the whole family. After that, we get twins lol. Or is this just me?

You have got a plan!

XLBGE 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Just my .02, but I own an XL, and Large. My next egg will be a medium. Then a small, and a mini after that. I guess my point is that we will keep finding a new reason to need another one until we have the whole family. After that, we get twins lol. Or is this just me?
    I have one of each size and four larges. This is what I would do if I had it to do over. 1XL, two large, 2 minis

Steve 

Caledon, ON

I have one of each size and four larges. This is what I would do if I had it to do over. 1XL, two large, 2 minis

I'm sorry Steve but I am very curious where you keep your 8? Eggs!?

XLBGE 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Just my .02, but I own an XL, and Large. My next egg will be a medium. Then a small, and a mini after that. I guess my point is that we will keep finding a new reason to need another one until we have the whole family. After that, we get twins lol. Or is this just me?
    That explains the 1500 square foot cement deck.
    @fred19flintstone don't know why my iphone isn't downloading to the mac right now, but hopefully in a while it will and I will post the pics. Basically is is a folding two wheeled dolly. I bought it at Costco. It has a capacity of about 200 pounds. It folds up flat, the tongue and wheels fold and turn in. Real easy to store when not in use. When I am moving the small I just run the tongue under the bottom of the egg and then tilt the dolly back and the egg leans against the dolly. Usually I just hold the egg in place, but you could bungee it to the dolly if you wanted. It works slick for us. We take the dolly with us RVing, to the park, and this next week we have relatives coming and the egg will go to the river, on the dolly. Sorry about not loading the pictures, hope this helps a bit. Was ready to post and the pics showed up.. here ya go.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • nolaegghead
    I have that same exact dolly  - bought it at Sears on sale.
    Hey Nola do you whip your egg around on it too?
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    @ Nola, forgot to say Happy New Year fella.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • @smokesniffer - Thanks for getting back with me.  I have a similar steel dolly thats heavy & doesn't fold so I didn't think of using it in this way.  Looking at your dolly, I think I would like that.  We take our small on picnics and roll it over uneven ground in the nest.  That's a big PITA.  Your solution looks better.  Thanks again! 
    Flint, Michigan
  • smokesniffer
    Your welcome, I am very happy with this and it has worked out well for us. You could even give Wilma a ride if ya wanted to. ;)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • nolaegghead
    @ Nola, forgot to say Happy New Year fella.
    Thanks, and right back at you, sir sniffer of smoke!
    I am building up courage to try cold smoking a pork belly here in the near future. Will use my small egg for the fire and plumb it into the large. I may need to lean on your expertise, if I may. 
    Large, small, and a mini