Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pizza Bake - Turned Out Great

I got a new Egg a week or so before Christmas and we decided to try pizza as one of our first cooks.  I was surprised at how well it turned out.

Homemade Pizza Dough - Flour, water, salt, yeast - that was about it
Basil Pesto Sauce
Low Moisture Mozzarella
Ham
Bacon
Jerk Chicken (cooked on BGE the night before!)
Pineapple
Yellow Pepper Rings

I cooked with a plate setter, legs up.  Cast iron grate on that, pizza stone on that. (Only had a Pampered Chef stone - broke on third pizza.)

Egg heated to about 550.  Put the pizza on parchment paper for 5 minutes.  Removed and cooked for another 5 minutes.  Came out awesome.

Anyway, had to post something here, as I was pretty excited!

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Nice job indeed...love BGE pizzas....
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Way to go. Pizza on the egg tastes GREAT! Enjoy your new grill. Don't forgot to post pics. We all love to see how it went down. Happy New Year.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • ptmurphy
    ptmurphy Posts: 42
    edited January 2013
    Smokesniffer - did the picture not show up on this post?  When I go to the post I can see it, but maybe it's cached on my system.

Thanks for the comments.  This is fun and a bit addicting.
  • That looks great!! Never thought about parchment paper - will try it!

If its not memorable, its not worth doing.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Congrats on the pie cook, looks really good. 
    I can get a pie on and off without parchment, but I use it every time... it works and for me, makes it idiot proof. After 4-5 minutes, I rotate the pie 180 with the parchment, then pull the paper, much easier to get an even cook. 
    West coast style Hawaiian pizza is just like your recipe, except hold off on the jerk chicken. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I made the recipe from memory of a pizza we had at a local Mellow Mushroom some time ago.  It actually came out pretty close, although I might have forgotten a thing or two.

The main reason I used the parchment paper was to get the pizza into the BGE - otherwise it was kind of a floppy mess.  :-)
  • ptmurphy said:
    I made the recipe from memory of a pizza we had at a local Mellow Mushroom some time ago.  It actually came out pretty close, although I might have forgotten a thing or two.

The main reason I used the parchment paper was to get the pizza into the BGE - otherwise it was kind of a floppy mess.  :-)
    Fantastic pizza place.  Love their crust!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Mellow Mushroom is a great place.  The pizza I made is called Maui Wowie at their store.