Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fired up my LBGE for the first time

I am more than a little nervous about being able to control the temp the first time.  Stacked some BGE Lump in the fire box added 2 fire starters and am waiting for things to get going.  I opened the bottom vent and daisy wheel mostly open to get the air moving.  I plan on letting it burn for an hour to get the new smell burned out.  During that time I hope to be able to control the temp a little.  I will keep you posted and hopefully add pictures as the night goes on.

Oh I plan on cooking some bacon wrapped shrimp and steaks for dinner.

Comments

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    What time should we be over? Just remember to start shutting down the vents when you get within 50 degrees of your target temp. Have a good meal.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • billyray said:
    What time should we be over? Just remember to start shutting down the vents when you get within 50 degrees of your target temp. Have a good meal.
    Nice tip...as a newbie I'm placing this in my bag of tricks. 
    Columbia, SC ~ LBGE, ThermaPen
    I love to eat...sue me!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082

Here's a great reference site-check it out when you get time:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm Enjoy the journey and welcome!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

I am more than a little nervous about being able to control the temp the first time.  Stacked some BGE Lump in the fire box added 2 fire starters and am waiting for things to get going.  I opened the bottom vent and daisy wheel mostly open to get the air moving.  I plan on letting it burn for an hour to get the new smell burned out.  During that time I hope to be able to control the temp a little.  I will keep you posted and hopefully add pictures as the night goes on.

Oh I plan on cooking some bacon wrapped shrimp and steaks for dinner.

Ok - it's been an hour - hows it going? 

PS - Welcome to the best forum ever!!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• If you like to cook.......YOU WILL LOVE.......the Egg.   Dont stress over it.  If you have ever used any other grill you will find out that this one will give you great food even if you neglect it.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082
    BGE-adult beverage when you light, adult beverage when the food to be cooked goes on (each food merits its own beverage) and then as many as required/necessary/enjoyed for the mandatory supervisory role (SWMBO escape clause) during the cook.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    my egg will not light without adult bev in hand. I dunno what it is.....strange
    I put mine down once, by accident, and it still lit.  So it is possible.  Don't know if I could reproduce that.

whenever you do that, someone with a gasser dies. Don't be that guy nola. Gasser users have families too ( I think, but they must be savages)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I put mine down once, by accident, and it still lit.  So it is possible.  Don't know if I could reproduce that.

whenever you do that, someone with a gasser dies. Don't be that guy nola. Gasser users have families too ( I think, but they must be savages)
    Well, it was an accident.  I can always spot the gassers because they have a bone tied up in their hair and they're usually brandishing a stone stool or a piece of flint for lighting.

Well, it was an accident.  I can always spot the gassers because they have a bone tied up in their hair and they're usually brandishing a stone stool or a piece of flint for lighting.

and those buckets with soaked wood chips....sad, really
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551

And every time you light the Egg, an angel gets its wings.  
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    @itguywithanegg Welcome to the club.  You will find lots of great tips here, and don't be afraid to ask questions.  You will be amazed at how helpful everyone here is.  You are off to a good start.  Temp control is one of the most important things to learn.  You'll find your Egg has a few sweet spots where it likes to hang.  Don't sweat over 25 degrees of where you want to be or you'll be chasing your tail all day. Oh, and we need pictures of the cook or it didn't really happen.

Yours too?!? Weird. Our Eggs must have been made at the same time.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • rontho
    rontho Posts: 109
    And don't freak out when you notice your gasket is gone.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,820
    I always thought beers were a measurement of time.  Cook it for two beers and flip it. That roast is a least a twelve pack. Etc, etc
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Welcome - good luck!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • billyray said:
    im a newbie as well!good tip!
  • first time posting pictures so I hope they come through. struggled with the sear but all in all they were real good.
  • Have to have Pork and sauerkraut on new years day.  So I cooked a pork tenderloin tonight. cooked for a little over an hour at 400.  Not low and slow but it was still real juicy and great flavor.

Happy New year everyone