Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OVEN Pork Butt.. Ask me why

The XL egg is frozen solid, that's why. 

We had a hard freeze here in Dallas this past week. Lots of rain and snow and ice. I picked up a 13 pounder yesterday, walked outside a few minutes ago to crank the egg, and the damn lid is closed solid.

I tired using a butter knife to pry the gasket - no luck.

I tried to light the coal from beneath, even used my wife's hair dryer to help stoke - no luck.

My family will be here tomorrow at noon, so I either need a quick fix to get the egg open, or off to the oven she goes.

Any help or pointers on the over route would be helpful. I figure the oven route would be similar to the egg.. in a large turkey pan, v-rack, and cider in the bottom, 300 degrees should have me at 190 by noon. 

Thanks guys. 

Jason 

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited December 2012
    Hair dryer or light a small fire in the ash bin. Done it many times. If you have a lighter cube, just stick that in the ash bin (or stick 2 in there). It will warm it enough to open in a few minutes.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I had the same thing happen to me. I pulled and got the dome open. I did pull some of the gasket away from the dome in two places. It still sealed tight though. I'll reglue the gasket when it gets warmer.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Seems like you could start some lump in a chimney starter and dump it in the top vent to warm it up.
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    I've got the plate setter in place.. so the dumping of coals may be problematic. 

I may try lighting some lump in the ash bin.
  • Someone had a good idea of lighting a few fire starters and sending them down the dome.

Seems reasonable. 
    Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    You could ball up news paper pack it in the ash bin and light it like a chimney starter. Or you could use dryer lint that stuff burns great but sometimes it has hair polyester etc that may not be desirable in your egg.
  • JWBurns said:
    I've got the plate setter in place.. so the dumping of coals may be problematic. 

I may try lighting some lump in the ash bin.

It won't hurt your platesetter. You can do it either way
  • can you you roll it in the garage or house to allow it warm up a little?
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Heat gun...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Weed burner in the ash bin
    Lynnwood WA
  • drop yesterdays paper and a starter cube up top or use same process in the bottom. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • I would just use my mapp torch around the edges of the lid, but then again I have been gasketless for 6 months.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• JWBurns
    Well, to my surprise the fire in the ash bin worked. Got the lid open with no damage to the gasket.

Loaded her up with Ozark Oak, and she's off.

Thanks again guys for all the tips. Next time I'll be sure and put spacers in between prior to an ice storm.
  • JWBurns said:
    Well, to my surprise the fire in the ash bin worked. Got the lid open with no damage to the gasket.

Thanks again guys for all the tips. Next time I'll be sure and put spacers in between prior to an ice storm.
    You could always just cover it as well. I love the big green egg brand covers, and while a little pricey, they are worth it in my opinion.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• or if you are cheap like me a garbage bag goes a long way in a place like Texas that doesn't get this kind of weather very often.  Obviously depending if the Egg is in a table or a nest. Glad you got it open JWBurns, hope your meal goes as planned.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    A couple of pitchers of warm water slowly poured around the edge of the dome might do the trick too. Don't use hot - might crack the ceramic from thermal shock.
  • JWBurns said:

To your surprise?????it's not like I just make all this up.....oh wait, yes I do. Carry on. Glad it worked.
  • JWBurns
    Yeah, I was skeptical, but I know better than to doubt my fellow Eggers :)
  • next time boil a big a$$ pot of water and douche it? I like the fire in the ash bin also
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Same thing happened to me this morning.  XL was frozen shut.  AND I keep it covered with the Egg cover.
    Threw some crumpled news paper in the ash bin, and a firestarter, and got the lump going.  Eventually got warm enough to get the lid open.  Now I'm rockin away.
    Surprised that it was frozen shut with having a cover on it.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    After going thru a frozen shut Egg this morning, I'm kicking around the idea of putting a 1/8" wood shim between the lid and egg near the handle, to help keep this from happening again.
    Any opinions on this idea?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Glad to hear you are cooking again. I guess you don't have a crock pot/slow cooker? Our family likes egg pork butt, and we also like slow cooker butt. Nice change of pace. Favorite in the slow cooker seems to be layer of onions, the butt, some rub and a can or two of Dr. Pepper. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BigWings
    BigWings Posts: 172
    YEMTrey said:
    Same thing happened to me this morning.  XL was frozen shut.  AND I keep it covered with the Egg cover.
    Threw some crumpled news paper in the ash bin, and a firestarter, and got the lump going.  Eventually got warm enough to get the lid open.  Now I'm rockin away.
    Surprised that it was frozen shut with having a cover on it.

I have a theory on how this could happen with a cover.  You didn't by chance use a drip pan with water in it during the prior cook?  I am wondering if the steam permeated the gasket and froze before it could dissipate.

New Brunswick, Canada

• Just cover your egg with the big green egg brand covers, I have them on the large and the xl and never had an issue. Michigan is cold too...