Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie Needs Steak Grilling Tips!

Hello Everyone! 

I am as "green" as my new egg. I grilled on a gas grill forever. Exactly one year ago I switched over to a charcoal grill. I just purchased a large egg with the small table on Saturday. I got the cover and the cast iron cooking grid. So far that is all of the accessories that I have. 

The only things I "normally" grill are steak, hamburgers, ribs, and chicken breasts. Like I said I am a newbie! I do however plan on using it for more than that.

I haven't lit my grill yet, and from what I read I am not supposed to get above 350 or so degrees for the first couple of cooks in order to let the seal cure. 

For my first cook I am going to grill steak. My steaks are ribeyes 1 1/4" thick. What do you experts recommend temperature and time wise for grilling my steaks? 

I have a LOT to learn, and I really don't want to ruin perfectly good steaks through ignorance on my part. I plan on using my cast iron cooking grid for the steaks. 

Any help you guys can give me will be appreciated!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Here's a great intro site for all things BGE-and for your steaks, check the recipe section-there are many ways to cook them but Trex and Xert (both described on the site) are two popular ways to go.  Welcome to the cult...enjoy the journey!  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thank you! I will take a look.

• Welcome John, congratulations on your new addiction! I think you will find a lot of people use a method where you sear your steak at very high temps and pull it while the egg cools to around 450 to finish off the steaks, known as the T-Rex method. It always gives me a perfect steak.

Happy Egging
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • I just read about the T Rex method. It looks kind of scary to me, but I will give it a try! 

I have to get over my fear of screwing the egg or the meat up!

Thanks for the reply Bama!

• lousubcap
    No matter how you cook your steaks, should you use a technique that involves lowering the temperature, do not shut the vents with food on the BGE-nothing like the bad (as in think of a candle flame just being put out...) smoke smell to ruin the cook.  I only screwed that up once-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thanks Lou!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You can also cook them regular - 400-450F, put some nice marks on them.  You should get a good instant read thermometer if you don't have one already.  Anyway, cook to an internal temp according to how you like your steaks done.  I like 130-ish.  Steaks that thick will probably take under 10 minutes.  Let them rest for a while after you cook and before you eat.

I really want to do this the right way. I may try the "regular way" for my first time. I was told that I need the cast iron cooking grid. Will I risk "burning" my steaks if I cook with that? 

I hate to be so ignorant, but I admit it. I am lost when it comes to this, but I am determined to join your ranks!!!!!!!

• Thanks Nolaegghead. I don't have an instant read thermometer. Can you recommend one to me? 

I really want to do this the right way. I may try the "regular way" for my first time. I was told that I need the cast iron cooking grid. Will I risk "burning" my steaks if I cook with that? 

I hate to be so ignorant, but I admit it. I am lost when it comes to this, but I am determined to join your ranks!!!!!!!

Preferred instant read is a Thermapen by Thermoworks. You don't need a cast iron grate. I rarely use mine. It won't burn them to use though. I've cooked plenty of great steaks at 500 with no parlor tricks so fire it up and go for it. Don't need to worry too much about keeping it under 350. That was really never proven to do anything and it was really all about the old gasket which was sub par. You should have the new gasket so you should be able to cook on it as you please right out of the gate. welcome aboard and let us know if we can help
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Thank you. I will be ordering a Thermapen! I am ready to give it a go!

• tyenic1
    tyenic1 Posts: 150
    I would love to give you advice, but I am a diehard Husker fan living in Nebraska so I cannot! :-) I am just kidding you, in all seriousness though the posters up above are all what I would consider experts on this forum, so listen to what they have to say and you won't go wrong. Good luck in the Capital One Bowl although I think my team is the one that needs the luck!! :-)
  • Hey, Hey, Tenic! I was kind of hesitant to put a UGA logo on for fear of keeping the perfect post from coming my way, but as a lifelong UGA fan I can't help it. 

I love this forum. There is a ton of great advice here, and the posters are eager to share their knowledge! Even the ones that don't like UGA!!!!!!

We will have to let the Dawgs and the Huskers settle it on the field! Thanks for the reply!

• tyenic1
    tyenic1 Posts: 150
    Hahaha Johnkitchens, welcome aboard we're all family here. A little dysfunctional, but family nonetheless.
  • I personally throw them straight on the lump to get a sear without a grid. Once they have a good sear on each side about 90 seconds a side I take them off and put the grid back on "raised direct" and cook until medium. Let the coals get red hot before you do it though.
    Geaux Tigers!! West Monroe, Louisiana
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    edited December 2012
    @johnkitchens you're alright with me bro!!! Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • Hey man.  I just got mine for xmas, and did two tenderloins for dinner (4 - 5 pounds each trimmed for 15 people).  Used the T-Rex Method - Seared both sides at 650-700 for two minutes each, rested covered for 15 minutes, then put back on at 350 until my I-Grill meat thermometer registered med-rare.  Took off and served immediately - was excellent.  I plan to try the same with a Porterhouse.
  • Sorry - the above post should have said 600 degrees - not 650-700.  Can't figure out how to edit prior comments.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Dagman said:

Sorry - the above post should have said 600 degrees - not 650-700.  Can't figure out how to edit prior comments.

There is a gearlike symbol after posting, that is the edit button. Top right corner of your post and hour time limit.
  • brownbw
    brownbw Posts: 154
    Be SURE to watch out for flashback when cooking at high temps. Lost lots of arm hair by not paying attention!!! Glad it wasn't worse.
    Opelika, AL
  • If you have been using a charcoal grill, you will be fine. Put your grid on the fire ring with a nice 400 fire going (stable egg with the dome closed)
    Drop your steaks on, close the lid, give 'em a couple of minutes and flip. Repeat twice more if you want nice diamonds - or until  the doneness you are used to. Rest. Serve. 

Get some good eating going then try Trex or my preference, reverse sear. Welcome to the zoo, your cage is ready!

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Thanks so much for the replies guys!

• mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    You've already been cooking on charcoal...this is no different.  If you have been happy with the way your food has been coming out then cook it the same way.  The egg is just the vessel to hold the charcoal.  My steak cooking is at 450-500 until done.  An instant read thermometer is a must.  There's many ways to cook steaks trying different methods is always fun but putting them on and cooking till done has always been on of the easiest
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    I forgot to add that I've never heard about seasoning the gasket...maybe someone else has.  I've had my XL for three years and have cooked just about everything and still have the same gaskets without any problem, never did any kind of seasoning either.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

mimauler said:
    I forgot to add that I've never heard about seasoning the gasket...maybe someone else has.  I've had my XL for three years and have cooked just about everything and still have the same gaskets without any problem, never did any kind of seasoning either.
    Have you ever cooked over 700F?  Like for pizza?  Pizza cooks trashed my gasket.  Since I've replace with Nomex, no problems, but I'm  sure it's a matter of time.

The model number is a PT-12BGE. I am wondering if this will be okay. 

Can some of you give me feedback concerning this?

I am kind of embarrassed to admit it, but I am going to grill hamburgers for my first cook. If I ruin them no biggie. Many of you may not even use your BGE to cook hamburgers, but should I set my temp at 350 to 400 for that as well? 

Also at that temp how long should it take per side, and what internal temp should I shoot for?

On my old charcoal grill I just put them on and flipped to keep them from burning, but since I have my BGE I am committed to "mastering" the art of the grill. 

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated!!!

• Did feta stuffed burgers on my small yesterday. I ran it 400-450 til they were a fuzz over medium.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Welcome aboard! I'm sure that the BGE instant read will work. I would still get a Thermapen if I were you. I use it far more than I expected to. I have not done burgers yet so I can't help much there! Good luck.
  • Okay guys first cook is under my belt. Made what I would call a rookie mistake. 

I put my hamburgers on too early. They were good, but they tasted way too smokey for our taste. 

I am grilling rib-eyes tonight so I will be sure to let it burn down before I put them on. 

• lousubcap
    A good tip-if the smoke smells good-it is good and vice versa.  Enjoy the steaks!