Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another prime rib question

We are planning on Egging a "Heavy" 3 rib prime rib for Christmas dinner.  I have been ready many ways to cook it.  Planning on salt/pepper and some Penzies Chicago Steak Seasoning - Anything else I should try?  We do not want allot of  "Smoky" flavor on the prime rib but a very tender great tasting roast.

Some say sear first then remove the meat put in the plate setter and when the Egg is down to 325 cook the rib for 2+ hours until 135.  If I have the Egg up to searing temps 500+ it will take a long time to lower the heat to 325.  Or am I missing something here?

Other methods say 250 indirect for a few hours (I am guessing ~4 hours) to 135 then sear or not sear. Is this right?

Some methods just say get the Egg to 325/350 and put the meat on indirect and let ir ride until 135.

I am leaning towards "325/350 and put the meat on indirect and let ir ride until 135" - would this still give a nice dark outside with a nice medium rare inside.

I do have to cut a piece when its done and cook it longer for the wife - She will only eat well done meat - I personally dont understand it but I cant win that battle.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    You'll get a 5 to 10 degree carry over while it rests, I pull at 125 for med. rare. You'll have a more even looking finish (from edge to edge being the same color) at 250. Your 325/350 range will produce  an area around the perimeter that will be more done than med. rare. You are looking at 2 to 2-1/2 hours at your temp., probably closer to 3 at 250. Always cook to temp. not time.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2012
    @billyray has it right. 
    My lady likes her's ruined as well, I know the battle and know I will never win. If you choose to sear at the end, and she likes the outside piece, just sear one end. You will get about 1/2-3/4" of medium-well after a 3 or 4 minute sear. Many restaurants also use an almost boiling au jus bath, drop her piece in and bring it up to desired finish in the au jus, easy to control and takes only minutes. Some well done lovers, equate the amount of "juice" with not being cooked. If in this category, the only solution is to drop their piece back on the grill to dry it out. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'll bet you my left nut that if someone figured out a way to take medium rare beef and color it grey (like it was well done), all those that like their stuff "ruined" (medium well to well) would be convinced it was the best cut of meat they've ever eaten.  "DAMN!  Dis iz juicy!"
    Thanks all - So at 325/350 I can get a nice dark outside without searing?

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I'll bet you my left nut that if someone figured out a way to take medium rare beef and color it grey (like it was well done), all those that like their stuff "ruined" (medium well to well) would be convinced it was the best cut of meat they've ever eaten.  "DAMN!  Dis iz juicy!"
    AGREED 1000%

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq said:
    Thanks all - So at 325/350 I can get a nice dark outside without searing?
    Yes. the outside will brown slightly. If you use a rub/paste the browning can be enhanced. Your finished roast will not be edge to edge evenly cooked, but that is just fine, if that's what you like. 

As noted on another thread, if you leave the roast uncovered in the fridge for a day or two, apply any rub paste just before the cook, the outside will dry a bit and produce more browning at the 350 cook temp. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    You would win that bet, so save your nut and bet something you don't need. =))
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.