Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are you cooking for the holidays?

Looking for ideas and inspiration: What are cooking for the holidays?
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• tyenic1
    tyenic1 Posts: 150
    Either going with Beef Tenderloin or a Ribeye Roast. I'm kinda looking for inspiration myself.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    See the Holiday Feasts post. A big week of Egging. Prime Rib, Turkey, Brisket, and probably some Ham. Pork for luck on New Years. Nutella sticky buns for Christmas morning.
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'm thinking about a boneless leg of lamb, maybe with a side dish of moussaka, some goat cheese and romaine salad, baklava desert.  Or sous vide turkey breast with the coffee rub and seared with some more traditional sides. 
  • I made the mistake of cooking prime rib for the subdivision Christmas party.  I had two neighbors beg me to cook it for their Christmas.  I also have two butts I just put in the freezer.  I have a duck in the freezer that will be cooked, although I haven't decided exactly how I will cook it.  The last one I smoked and made gumbo with it.  I am probably the only guy in town that wants sweetbreads for Christmas!
  • I will be cooking two Maple Bourbon Hams! This will be accompanied by Scalloped Corn Casserole, Green Bean Casserole, Candied sweat Potatoes, Mashed Potatoes and Gravy. I already have the Cookies and made the Homemade Fudge just this morning. I think I may have gained 5lbs just typing this.
  • Maple Bourbon Ham as well with delicata squash as a side.
  • Going to try my first Maple Bourbon Ham! But we're traveling so I won't have my Egg. Will do it on a regular charcoal smoker, instead. Will be my first non-Egg cook since I got my Egg back in June.
  • Prime Rib Roast and Tamale Cornbread Dressing.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Since we were out of town for Thanksgiving, I'm smoking a turkey for Christmas.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292

Braised Lamb Shanks - not sure on the side dishes yet.

• MikeP624 said:

Braised Lamb Shanks - not sure on the side dishes yet.

Lucky you! These were the best I've done

Lamb rubbed with blended rosemary, roasted garlic, thyme, parsley, olive oil and lemon zest

Seared in the tajine base

Grilled the seared ones while searing the rest

Started some mirepoix with parsnips for sweetness

Got it caramelised

Added some tomato paste and cooked down for more sweet

Put in a pint of Kilkenny Irish ale and some chicken stock

Put in shallots, white turnip, carrots, parsnips, white and red onion

Stuffed the shanks in, covered and cooked at 250* for three hours

Some herbs and lemon zest

Made roasted garlic and rosemary mashed potatoes but Gary upstaged me so I took the white turnip, parsnips, some of the onions, shallots and whipped them in to the potatoes with whipping cream

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Nice - only way to do lamb shanks....Thanks for sharing, now I feel so inadequate, Kraft dinner is starting to boil....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Both the NY Times and Wall St Journal had crown roast of pork articles last week (what are the odds?), with the obligatory mouth watering pictures accompanying the articles.  Timely inspiration, so that's what we're doing!  Picked up a few more of Costco's seasonal rack of pork (pre-brined) and will slice and tie them together some how.  Would love to get some tips on tying them if any of you have done this before.

Mamaroneck
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    i will do a low&slow prime (actually choice cut) rib and whatever else I'm told.  Biggest challenge is just keeping food around with two sons (21 and 25) visiting for a few days.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Pulled pork for Christmas, smoked salmon for New Year's.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

Maple Bourbon Ham as well with delicata squash as a side.

Could I get the squash recipe?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    We always do filet and lobster...but I'm going with prime rib this year. Probably twiced bakers and asparagus. The last time I used evo, and pepper, wrapped in hdaf till tender...yum. Want to do more CI DO meals too.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    edited December 2012
    Smoke (pecan) 4 pork tenderloins for my parents and sisters family! ( Christmas Eve ) @LittleSteven that looks awesome!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Friday - Gonna try a London Broil for the first time
    Sunday - Parents are getting here with my table from Baton Rouge, Baby Backs
    Christmas Eve - Pizzas (Meat, Spinach and Artichoke, Apple/Bacon/Gorgonzola)
    Christmas Day - Smoked Turkey Breast
  • Aged ribeye steaks and maybe some wings
  • Beer can Specklebellies injected with melted butter, Dale's, and rubbed down with Cavenders and butter. A few teal wraps too.
    Geaux Tigers!! West Monroe, Louisiana
  • Pulled pork for my North Carolina parents traveling to Boston. The christmas splurge is getting the pork butt from a farm in Vermont. You think I'll be able to taste a difference from the industrial raised pork I usually get. At $7/lb I'd sure as hell hope so, but I'm not holding my breath. The extra $4/lb is just my yuppie tax.

(On a side note, I was browsing this butcher (above) that specializes in hard to find meats (mainly ethically raised animals, but you can also order lion meat) and I saw a Wagyu Ribeye, presumably from a small farm, that was $75 for about 12 oz. It was a single serving! Even if someone gave it to me for free I wouldn't cook it. I'd be terrified of accidentally cooking it even on the medium side of medium rare.) 
  • jfarley
    jfarley Posts: 145

lousubcap said:
    i will do a low&slow prime (actually choice cut) rib and whatever else I'm told.  Biggest challenge is just keeping food around with two sons (21 and 25) visiting for a few days.
    I'm also looking to do a "prime" choice rib roast. Is low and slow really effective with this cut of meat? For the number I'm feeding I'll likely get a 3 rib roast. I was thinking of going at my normal oven temp and time but would love to know how low&slow works lousubcap.
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Standing rib roasts are ideal for low temp cooking.  Some people cook them hot.  Here's the problem I have with cooking them hot - I like it cooked medium rare.  If you cook them at 300+, you're adding heat faster than it can distribute through the roast and you get a well done strata around your medium rare core.  That outside part of the roast is one of the tastiest parts.  If you like it cooked like that, great, that's how you should do it.

I cook them at 225F.  That's how restaurants cook them.  The doneness is even from the outside to the inside.  No risk drying out a cut like that.  You can do a reverse sear if you want.
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Going to do a prime rib and a couple racks of pork, although I'm kind of liking Nola's Big Fat Greek Christmas sounds great.
    George
  • I'm going to my Mom's.  She's buying a ham that we cook because Mom doesn't cook anymore.  She just holds a beverage and relaxes.  I'm brining my Small and doing an appetizer (don't know which one yet) and spatching a chickie for Wilma who does not care for ham.
    Flint, Michigan
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170

Prime rib low&slow is the way to go as mentioned by nola...I run around 250*F on the dome and see about 20-25 mins/# to the desired finish temp.  Rub with kosher salt, some fresh ground pepper and rosemary and let the BGE do it's magic.  Great eats-Try the search function here or use google with big green egg in your query and you should get lots of hits.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    I bought a boneless "standing rib roast" (whatever the hell that is supposed to mean - how can a standing rib roast not have the bones?) and had them slice it into six ribeye steaks, each about 1 3/4" thick. Why? The ribeye steaks were $12.99 per pound while the roast was on sale for $8.19. They were happy to slice it for me, too.

So, I will do them by the T-Rex method and my wife will cook a bunch of other stuff.

Tim