Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new kitchen aid meat grinder . .

NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just got the meat grinder attachment to be used with my Kitchen Aid blender  . . . any fans out there?  I was hoping to grind my own turkey burgers using a recipe called "juicy grilled turkey burgers" I found from Cooks Illustrated July/August magazine but this recipe calls for grinding turkey thighs in food processor with mushrooms and liquid (broth/gelatin/oil/etc) so I was wondering if it is ok to put all that through the meat grinder?  

I am starting to think this recipe may be a poor choice for my first meat grind, so does anyone have a simple idea for me?  Perhaps a beef burger blend (meat cuts and ratio for each) that would make a kick a$$ burger for my first grind?

Thanks!
NDG 

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I just made that recipe a few weeks ago, fantastically juicy burgers!  I have the KA meat grinder but I actually used my food processor with partially-frozen turkey chunks per the recipe; didn't even think to use my grinder.  
    I think its a perfectly fine recipe for your first!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Botch
    Oh, and we want pics!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• NDG
    Good to hear, I cant wait to try it.  BUT in this short period of time I now switched over to a new recipe for my first grind.  I am going with "Meat Loaf with Dr Pepper BBQ Sauce" from the book Slow Fire.  I think this might be best for my first meat grind experience because it simply calls for "2 lbs Ground Chuck" rather than the complex cooks illustrated turkey grind that calls for food processor with oil/gelatin/broth/etc. . . pics to come tmrw, thanks.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • We have the KA meat grinder.  It's pretty good for the home setup (definitely NOT commercial duty though). 

I think the recipe you are thinking of doing will work out fine... don't sweat it. 

A good thing to do is cut up the meat into cubes (probably about 1-2" cube will be fine).  Then, take those meat cubes & partially freeze them (probably about 1/2 - 1 hr in the freezer b4 you're going to grind them).  Then when you're ready to grind the meat, take the "meat cubes" outta the freezer - cold, partially frozen meat grinds better than warmer meat. 

Another bit of advice is to tape a paper towel or something over the hopper of the grinder so that it drapes down over the grinding output area.  The grinder "spits" blood / juice / etc and if you don't put something between the grinding output area and yourself, you'll end up getting bits of juice spattered on your clothes!!  (don't ask how I know this) #-o

HTH,
    HH
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Really enjoy mine. I have had mine for 2 years and it is a work horse.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    NDG, I just ground up a chuck roast and boneless short ribs for a hamburger blend on the kitchenaid that was awesome. Cut meat into chunks and freeze until a little crunchy but still soft inside. I used the large hole blade and didn't have any problems.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • NDG
    Great to hear, I registered for the KA meat grinder as a wedding gift but didnt know if it was a dud or not, excited to try this out tmrw morn . . 
    Columbus, OH

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    what i find is with the kitchenaide is to NOT use the small plate, and dont double grind, the plates are too small, other than that, its great
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    I'm curious of how well it works, I have been thinking about getting one as well. I wasn't sure between that or the industrial size Cabelas one.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    +1 on several of the comments above. Freeze the meat for about 30 minutes, don't use the small grinding plate & don't double grind. Other than that it works like a charm for small amounts of grinding.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • follow the advice and you won't have any problems.  Tuttle works very well and worth the $.  I just bought a package of 3 roasts from Sam's that will be ground up tomorrow for burgers.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Just curious about the grinder as I am looking at one. Do you all have the plastic one for about $50.00 or the metal one for $150.00? Thanks......
    LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I use the plastic one and it works great.
  • Lit said:
    I use the plastic one and it works great.

Awesome - thanks for the advice......
    LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC
  • NDG
    Finally did the cooks illustrated turkey burgers tonight with the K.A. meat grinder using turkey thighs.  The meat grinder did great with semi frozen chunks of meat, around half inch cubes. The cooks illustrated recipe was not simple, but it was by far the best turkey burger I have ever had.  Here are some pics . . 
    image image image 
    Oh yea, I started with some Poppers and Cherry Tomatoes and also showing off my new knives and OHIO cutting board . . .

Columbus, OH

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Burgers look good. Could you share the recipe? Thanks!
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • NDG
    • 1(2-pound) bone-in turkey thigh, skinned, boned, trimmed, and cut into 1/2-   inch pieces
    • 1tablespoon unflavored gelatin
    • 3tablespoons low-sodium chicken broth
    • 6ounces white mushrooms, trimmed
    • 1tablespoon soy sauce
    • Pinch baking soda
    • 2tablespoons vegetable oil, plus extra for brushing
    • Kosher salt and pepper
    • 6large hamburger buns

INSTRUCTIONS

1. 1. Place turkey pieces on large plate in single layer. Freeze meat until very firm and hardened around edges, 35 to 45 minutes. Meanwhile, sprinkle gelatin over chicken broth in small bowl and let sit until gelatin softens, about 5 minutes. Pulse mushrooms in food processor until coarsely chopped, about 7 pulses, stopping and redistributing mushrooms around bowl as needed to ensure even grinding. Set mushrooms aside; do not wash food processor.
    2. 2. Pulse one-third of turkey in food processor until coarsely chopped into 1/8-inch pieces, 18 to 22 pulses, stopping and redistributing turkey around bowl as needed to ensure even grinding. Transfer meat to large bowl and repeat two more times with remaining turkey.
    3. 3. Return 1/2 cup (about 3 ounces) ground turkey to bowl of food processor along with softened gelatin, soy sauce, and baking soda. Process until smooth, about 2 minutes, scraping down bowl as needed. With processor running, slowly drizzle in oil, about 10 seconds; leave paste in food processor. Return mushrooms to food processor with paste and pulse to combine, 3 to 5 pulses, stopping and redistributing mixture as needed to ensure even mixing. Transfer mushroom mixture to bowl with ground turkey and use hands to evenly combine.
    4. 4. With lightly greased hands, divide meat mixture into 6 balls. Flatten into 3/4-inch-thick patties about 4 inches in diameter; press shallow indentation into center of each burger to ensure even cooking. (Shaped patties can be frozen for up to 1 month. Frozen patties can be cooked straight from freezer.)
    Columbus, OH

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Wow, you're right, that is a complex set of instructions. Did you process the turkey in the food processor, or just grind it with the KA grinder and mix it all together after?
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Botch
    NDG said:
    Finally did the cooks illustrated turkey burgers tonight with the K.A. meat grinder using turkey thighs.  The meat grinder did great with semi frozen chunks of meat, around half inch cubes. The cooks illustrated recipe was not simple, but it was by far the best turkey burger I have ever had.  
    My experience exactly.  I might try it with pre-ground turkey sometime.  

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I found a new ka mixer, the ultra power model for $200...list on ka's site for $300. Good deal?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NDG
    @greeno55  . . I ground all turkey, chilled in fridge in a frozen metal bowel, then pulled cup or so of meat in food proc. with soy/shrooms/broth/gelatin etc to make paste.  then mixed paste with remaining meat for burgers.  Turned out great but to compare i am going to try again and just grind and add some of this "burger starter" paste from william sonoma . . . curious how it changes texture, i will report back . .

Columbus, OH

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @NDG, Where did you get that cutting board? MY sister is also an alum of THE Ohio State University and still lives in Columbus. This would make an awesome Christmas present, if store-bought. I don't know if I can learn those wood-working skills in time, otherwise....

O...H....
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @NDG, Where did you get that cutting board? MY sister is also an alum of THE Ohio State University and still lives in Columbus. This would make an awesome Christmas present, if store-bought. I don't know if I can learn those wood-working skills in time, otherwise....

O...H....
    You can buy a cutting board (in this case bamboo), stencil out your loser state ( :D ) then use a jig saw with a scroll blade or a scroll saw (or a band saw, but they're expensive) to cut it out.  Presto, instant x-max gift!

As Nola says, stencil on your state and make a shaped board. Works for most states/provinces except Hawaii is better suited to a coaster set and Michigan is tough as it is in two parts....
    Quinn is lucky because one of the most functional is Colorado, nice square shape. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited December 2012

O...H....
    You can buy a cutting board (in this case bamboo), stencil out your loser state ( :D ) then use a jig saw with a scroll blade or a scroll saw (or a band saw, but they're expensive) to cut it out.  Presto, instant x-max gift!
    Wouldn't work for me, since I'm in Maryland. Maybe for a cheese server. I need to move to Wyoming or Colorado that. Plus, I do not have the access to the necessary tools for this. Hence, outsourcing my goods for someone else's service.

Since you mentioned stenciling out loser states.... Louisiana does start with "L" 
    L-) <--- How apropos!!!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Louisiana would be last in a bunch of categories except for Mississippi.  :)

Living in New Orleans is like living in a third world country - part of the charm.

• Living in New Orleans is like living in a third world country - part of the charm.
    That's why we call the Sabine River "The Crawfish Curtain".

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Nice looking burgers, I like turkey burgers. 
    Will try this recipe, thanks for sharing. 

As Nola says, stencil on your state and make a shaped board. Works for most states/provinces except Hawaii is better suited to a coaster set and Michigan is tough as it is in two parts....
    Quinn is lucky because one of the most functional is Colorado, nice square shape. 

ha...yep, i have a bunch of Colorado shaped cutting boards....it seems to be the only state I can find that Boos makes. :P
  • NDG
    @eggcelsior . .  I got the cutting board as a gift, but it came from Etsy (think ebay for handmade gifts, etc).  Looks like the person who made it is not taking orders until next year though, sorry!

Columbus, OH