Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many plan inside kitchen work (for BGE) around SWMBO schedule?

May get some flack, but I am sitting here on a Sunday AM knowing I have prep work to do before food hitting the BGE (not low&slow or it woulda been done by now) and no real time constraints (work party Monday) and I am waiting til SWMBO clears datum (leaves the house) to get going.  Seems it doesn't matter the size of the space, it is too small when we are both present.  Anyone else?
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• Not touchin that with a 10 foot pole !

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2012
    Yes it is so and always shall be.....
    Our kitchen, not large at all can be occupied by any four people working in complete harmony except SWMBO and the resident "moron", me. We trip over each other and get in each other's way. You would think after 42 years of time together we would have it together, and we do - everywhere except the kitchen.

It has something to do with that one room, no idea why, just that one space. I sympathize with you. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I just had to Google  "SWMBO" --   ;))
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • we cook together all the time but it does seem that if someone is in the other's way....it's always me :-?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    There is no way SWMBO and I work together in the kitchen.  She cooks all over the place, great food, but she tends to make a bit of a mess. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I cook in the mancave. 8' stainless table for prep. She can't understand why I'm stocking it with bowls, pans, etc... I asked her why we have a living room and a bonus room? Why not two kitchens?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I thought I was the only one.  I can start a cooking project with SWMBO at the other side of the house, being very busy at something.  Within 2 minutes, she's at the sink or putting up silverware in the drawer where I'm chopping onions, etc.  Then, she looks at me like I'm in HER way.  Sheesh !  ~X(

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @ VI-Wish I could explain the phenomena but I believe that triait is a given and one that will be here til the Mayan's deliver us next week  ;))
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    I just had to Google  "SWMBO" --   ;))
    I am right there with ya! I googled it the other day because it seems like everyone uses it on this forum. Now instead of calling my wife by her name I say " hey SWMBO what do you want for dinner?"
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • Guess I'm lucky(?). We work well together in the kitchen. Today's brunch was eggs, biscuits, and sausage gravy. I made the brunch, in the meantime SWMBO made tzatziki sauce for tonight (gyro's). She was on one side of the kitchen, me the other. When I'm cooking outside, she asks if I need prep help. If not she let's me be. She is a great cook, and when does does her thing on the stove, she knows I'm gonna come behind her and sample and try to "adjust" the seasoning, so she usually under seasons. I'm spoiled. Honestly though, I know there are things she cooks that I just can't touch, and I don't. She did try and help me on an egg cook once.....was doing pizza's so the egg was blazing, was in between pizza's and I put the DW on. I wasn't watching and she tried to check the egg, thought we were lookin at a stop, drop, and roll.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • I believe that this is the reason that we started cooking outdoors! You can only get kicked out of the kitchen so many times...

• I thought I was the only one.  I can start a cooking project with SWMBO at the other side of the house, being very busy at something.  Within 2 minutes, she's at the sink or putting up silverware in the drawer where I'm chopping onions, etc.  Then, she looks at me like I'm in HER way.  Sheesh !  ~X(

So true.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Kosko said:
    I am right there with ya! I googled it the other day because it seems like everyone uses it on this forum. Now instead of calling my wife by her name I say " hey SWMBO what do you want for dinner?"
    :)) Hilarious!  How's that going over, @Kosko
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

From my perspective- do not venture down the SWMBO road-at least in living color-self-preservation  here!  But the BGE can be an equalizer-to a point!

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Disparaging your spouse in a public forum is generally a very bad idea. 
  • Ya know, met my wonderful lady in grade 10 at secondary school (high school sophomore for the American cousins) and in our Lit class studied Haggard, including the adventure story, She. Have used the term SWMBO off an on for well over 45 years and she always seems to like it. Was quite surprised when I saw it here. 

And VI, know the look and the hint, can't I cut those darn things up in the garage?

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • When I cook, Wilma stays out of the way lest I cut my finger or something and she is left holding the bag. Our kitchen is just big enough to allow you to change your mind in.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Glad to hear my SWMBO and I are not the only ones who have this problem.  As I slowly start stocking my outdoor kitchen, SWMBO keep reminding me we already have a kitchen.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    edited December 2012
    Kosko said:
    :)) Hilarious!  How's that going over, @Kosko

Well......she doesn't really care for it! I don't know why?
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • OMG....this post is classic. It's like a universal force pulls my SWMBO into the kitchen as soon as I start prepping my meal. So glad I'm not alone.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I guess I should consider myself lucky since my HWMBO has only gone into the kitchen to " prep" twice in 45 years. I have been informed that it will not happen again until next November. Whew! ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • GrannyX4 said:
    I guess I should consider myself lucky since my HWMBO has only gone into the kitchen to " prep" twice in 45 years. I have been informed that it will not happen again until next November. Whew! ;;)
    I rest my case, being a bother to someone trying to work in the kitchen is a female thing.... :))
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Both of us are whirlwinds in the kitchen.  It's not big enough for both of us to cook in at once without some difficulty.  We both clean-up as we go, so the prep and sink areas are bottlenecks. 
    My working in the kitchen always attracts my wife, not IN the kitchen but TO the kitchen. She then takes up her post on a stool at the bar across from the cooktop with a glass of wine. Works for the both of us.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Both of us are whirlwinds in the kitchen.  It's not big enough for both of us to cook in at once without some difficulty.  We both clean-up as we go, so the prep and sink areas are bottlenecks. 
    What you do is what SWMBO does. I clean at the end to prevent slow-downs in my commission to create the nightly meal for our plates. When she offers to help, I end up getting yelled at for making a mess. When not, I end up getting yelled at for making a mess, from the couch.

I have a lovely wife. She is beautiful, smart, successful, and has given me a wonderful daughter. Hopefully that covers me for the "disparaging prevention" technique that we must impose.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I guess we are the rare case, we have a small kitchen, but can seem to flow around each other and not get in the way...much. There are times when she tells me to get out and vice versa, though. I just wish that when she sitting outside and I go in to prep and tell her to keep an eye on the temp and adjust as needed, that she would actually do it. Instead, she gets distracted by the phone or playing on her iPad and it overshoots. Grrrr!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin said:
    I guess we are the rare case, we have a small kitchen, but can seem to flow around each other and not get in the way...much. There are times when she tells me to get out and vice versa, though. I just wish that when she sitting outside and I go in to prep and tell her to keep an eye on the temp and adjust as needed, that she would actually do it. Instead, she gets distracted by the phone or playing on her iPad and it overshoots. Grrrr!
    Time for an iGrill....... Would she be offended if you bought her one? 
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    I solved this problem several years ago. Built a structure by the pool. The 3 doors are a changing room, 1/2 bath, and small shop. On the back side of these is a 1 car garage/shop. There's an indoor kitchen that opens to the covered BBQ area. Haven't put the TV in yet, but I dare her to send me to the dog house. =))
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • That's called the Ultimate Man Cave !!!!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious