Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Placement

Was not a good night as cooking in the rain with 40 degree temperatures in a mud pit (Where the egg is on the lawn).  I do not want it on the wood deck upstairs near the kitchen(Fire wood dont mix).  1/2 way through the cook I almost shut it down and said the hell with it and wanted to pack it up and get rid of it.

We were planning on having a paver stone patio installed this spring that I would move the egg to but that money had to be used elsewhere now.

Any ideas on what I can do to not cook in the mud.  I almost fell down twice last night with full plates of food.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• I'd rethink putting it on the wood deck. If it is raining hard enough to have mud, burning the deck is not an issue. Many have eggs on wooden decks, in wooden tables. I assume you have a nest.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I have the nest and handler.  My other issue of not putting it on the deck would be if I am doing a low and slow I do not want the egg smoking up the house or having smoke all over the deck where we are sitting outside (when its warm out).

Garnerville, NY
  • Mine is on a our wood deck and I live in a log cabin.  Place a rubber mat in front where any embers that escape the bottom screen may fall.  If not, then maybe one of those 10X10 pop-up shelters. 

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Mine is on a wood deck and Ive never given it any thought. Been cooking on wood decks for over 30 years. Of Course they do make Fire mats you can put on your deck and set your egg on that.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited December 2012
    Put it on you deck. You shouldn't have any issues. Keep the bottom screen closed if you are worried about sparking. Any sparks from the top will die off before hitting the ground. If you are still worried, you can get one of those deck pads sold at home improvement stores specifically for this purpose.

Another option, buy some 18" pavers(4) and group them together, putting the egg on top. You can put gravel underneath the levle it and provide drainage so the pavers don't sink in. Then place a line of them(like stepping stones) to your deck. They are fairly inexpensive.

Sandstone Paver, $2.70 each @ builddirect.com
  • robnybbq said:
    I have the nest and handler.  My other issue of not putting it on the deck would be if I am doing a low and slow I do not want the egg smoking up the house or having smoke all over the deck where we are sitting outside (when its warm out).
    Get though the winter, put it on the deck and then re-evaluate your options in the spring. I do not notice smoke billowing from my egg during a low and slow. It is not like a smoker or gasser with a chip box. If you have the deck space - move it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    That may be an option for now.   The gasser is on the deck (Have used it twice since getting the egg)

Anyone want to come lift the Egg up a flight of stairs?

Garnerville, NY
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have had some smoke issues, so I put up powerful fan I can swivel in 2 axis.  Smoke problem solved.  Now I just blast the lovely smoke and meat smells into my vegetarian neighbors' back yard. :D

robnybbq said:
    Anyone want to come lift the Egg up a flight of stairs?
    Get one of these and a buddy to help.  Problem solved.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • I had my large BGE in a nest on a wood deck for a couple of years, did a number of low and slow cooks. No issues at all. I bought a grill mat from ACE Hardware that they sold to protect the deck from sparks from the BGE. I also kept a fire extinguisher close by but never needed it or the garden hose!