Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spontaneous Cast Iron Pan Pizza Cook

cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited December 2012 in EggHead Forum
So at 6:30pm, I decided I was going to make a pizza.  Didn't have any dough, but I decided I was going to make a Cast Iron Pie.  Started thinking about @Zippylip 's Mushroom Pizza cook, so I figured I'd go with that as my inspiration.  Used his dough recipe and went with a 1/2 batch like he did for his mushroom pie.  

Could the dough have proofed a lot longer?  Heck yeah, but for 90 minute old dough, it sure was awesome.  Did I know what I was doing?  Nope!  Did I somehow stumble into a pan pizza that was better than anything I could have ordered?  Sure did!   :P  

3rd pizza cook in 4 days...I'm either going mad or the Italian in me is coming to the surface.  lol
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• cazzy
    edited December 2012
    Had no flipping clue how long to cook it.  Was looking at it and it smelled and looked done. hah  Totally a feel cook here!
  • COuld you share recipe looks fantastic

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks great - you're a pizza natural!
    edited December 2012
    1/2 Batch of Zippylip Dough 
    Condensed written instructions: 

1) Combine 1.5 cups of cold water, 3 cups of flour, 1 teaspoon of yeast and 1 teaspoon of salt; 
    2) Mix with a spoon for a few seconds to eliminate any large pools of water; 
    3) Let stand for 20 minutes; 
    4) Mix on medium for 20 minutes (it will be very soupy, don’t worry); 
    5) Turn off, cover, let stand for another 20 minutes; 
    6) Turn mixer back on & add up to 1 additional cup of flour (about 1 tablespoon at a time) allowing it to incorporate. Repeat this until you get the consistency you are looking for (it should be pulling away from the bowl, yet still be sticky enough so that it is a pain in the ass to get out of the bowl); 
    7) Remove from bowl, cut into individual pieces (2 for 2-16 inch pies, 3 for 3-12 inch pies, or 4 for 4-12 inch thin-crust pies); 
    8) Place in separate oiled plastic containers & cover; 
    9) Refrigerate for a minimum of 24 hours and up to 4 days; 
    10) Remove about 2 hours before you are ready to use; 
    11) When removing from the bowl, be patient, it will want to stay in the bowl, this is normal; 
    12) On a floured surface, gently shape the dough (due to the higher moisture content, this dough will be harder to work with than more typical dough, so be careful not to tear it – tossing will not likely be possible); 
    13) Bake on egg at a minimum of 650 degrees. This dough benefits from higher temps, I’ve tried it at lower temps and the results were not as good. It will take about 6 minutes at this temp. 

I obviously skipped a lot of the steps, but I did follow the recipe up until I pulled the wet dough out of the bowl.  I worked it a bit, then put the dough in a well oiled 12" cast iron pan.  After which, I shower-capped the pan and let it proof for 45 min.  

Preheated the egg @ 550.

After proofing, I pressed the dough so it was all the way to the edges and added toppings.  Full layer of pepperonis and a bottle of Giorgio sliced mushrooms.  Then I applied a generous layer of mozzarella cheese.  Next, I seasoned it with dry basil and drizzled Cento Crushed Tomatoes on the pie.  

I say the cook took about 20-25 minutes.  Just watch it and use your senses. lol

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Looks great.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Holy smoke Cazzy, that looks great! you have found your true calling, wings and pies. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    That looks great Cazzy! I'm gonna have to try one of those.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Awesome!! So what size CI pan did you use?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• WOW, if that was even half as good as it looks you really nailed it.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Cazzy thanks for instructions!! Will be doing this weekend!! Looks fantastic and going to break my diet arrrrr
  • That looks unreal. I feel like a loser for doing papa Murphy's last night.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • cazzy
    Griffin said:

Awesome!! So what size CI pan did you use?

I'm pretty sure it's a 12" pan.
  • cazzy

That looks unreal. I feel like a loser for doing papa Murphy's last night.

Lol...nah you're good bruh. Make some pizza this weekend...just use bread flour instead of the 00. Will still be good.

• Why not 00? I have several bags of it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Awesome looking pizza man!  Well done, just like I prefer.  Great job!!

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • cazzy
    edited December 2012

Why not 00? I have several bags of it.

Oh then you really are a L-) then since you already have the most difficult ingredient to obtain. :-\"
  • cazzy

Awesome looking pizza man!  Well done, just like I prefer.  Great job!!

Is it weird that I feel giddy that Mr. Pizza gave me his blessing?? =))

Haha...really though...thanks Sam! :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i love pan pizza cooked in an oiled pan and yours look great. was gettting tired of always doing the same high temp pie. try adding a dusting of seasalt to the oil in the pan before you put the dough in, it really adds to the slightly fried crunch you get from the bottom. ive been using steel tray sheets, will try the cast iron on the next one
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Do you do this with the placesetter, was the pan on the stone or did you use the feet or something similar for a gap
    thanks
    james
  • cazzy

i love pan pizza cooked in an oiled pan and yours look great. was gettting tired of always doing the same high temp pie. try adding a dusting of seasalt to the oil in the pan before you put the dough in, it really adds to the slightly fried crunch you get from the bottom. ive been using steel tray sheets, will try the cast iron on the next one

Thanks!

I'lll try that...thanks for the tip!
  • cazzy
    edited December 2012
    fruitguy said:

Do you do this with the placesetter, was the pan on the stone or did you use the feet or something similar for a gap
    thanks
    james

Used adjustable rig set up for indirect and placed the pan right on the bge grid above the felt.

• Cazzy so you added pepperoni and mushrooms. Any sauce used. Looks very moist. Almost looks like red sauce on there since so juicy. Not a big mushroom eater but looks yummy.
  • cazzy
    Yeah...pepperoni and mushroom added directly on dough, then cheese, then topped off with sauce.

The sauce was crushed tomatoes directly out of the can. The Cento brand is a great consistency right out of the can. I only added basil, garlic powder and oregano so it's very simple.

Had good flavor and a great crunch to the crust...but the oil in the pan helps alot with that. For pretty much just free handing, it came out great and I'd happily give it a 8.5.
  • thanks for all instructions going to give a go on Sat
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Sweet baby jeebus that looks good!  Exactly the way I like my pizza.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Looks so good. I'm getting fatter just looking at it.....
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  •  

Can this be made ahead and frozen for future use?

LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC
  • cazzy

Can this be made ahead and frozen for future use?

I can't recall who, but someone recently said they did that and had great results. Let us know how it works out!
  • Giving this a try for my birthday dinner tomorrow.
    Mark Annville, PA