Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick wing cook before Monday Night Football

cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited December 2012 in EggHead Forum
Made some wings tonight and they turned out very well!   :) 

I was watching a cooking show and the lady hosting it said that adding corn starch to your seasoning helps crisp up the wings.  With that, I gave it a try and was very pleased with the results...very crispy!  nom nom  :D

1/2 DP Jamaican Firewalk & 1/2 Swamp Venom (plus corn starch)

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• Nice Cazzy, I learned on another post this past week that baking powder does the same thing if you get caught short with corn starch. 

On Spatched Chicken, I use 2 parts rub to 1 part corn starch, mist it with oil and it always crisps. 

At the half and Big Blue is up by 3, life is tough when you are a Giants fan.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cazzy
    edited December 2012

Nice Cazzy, I learned on another post this past week that baking powder does the same thing if you get caught short with corn starch. 

On Spatched Chicken, I use 2 parts rub to 1 part corn starch, mist it with oil and it always crisps. 

At the half and Big Blue is up by 3, life is tough when you are a Giants fan.....
    Good to know! Thanks!

1 pt loss...ouch! Got enough from Cruz and Eli to get clinch my fantasy births so no complaints from me.

7 leagues and made the playoffs in 5...and 4 1st round byes to boot. :D
  • Hail to the Redskins! Nice tip on the wings too.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Great looking wings, @cazzy

Not a skins fan, but a huge RG3 fan so I enjoyed the parts of the game I got to watch.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    I add corn starch to mine now per the advice of a forum member. Makes all the difference. Yours look awesome. Cant go wrong with the DP either.
  • MJQ8
    MJQ8 Posts: 43

Hey those look great even at 9:30 AM! Having never done wings before 3 questions please; 1) how much corn startch are you using (would it be true for BP as well OR more or less needed?)  2) how can I tell when they are done? 3) I have a Maverick but are wings thick enough to work with a probe?

Thanks!

Any cook you can walk away from is a good one.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Cazzy - that looks damn good.  (curse you I'm hungry now!)
    Looks great I'll have to try cornstarch. I used these two rubs on wings when I made yours for the first time a week ago. Everyone preferred yours but there wasn't any dizzy pig ones left either, good stuff!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    MJQ8 said:

Hey those look great even at 9:30 AM! Having never done wings before 3 questions please; 1) how much corn startch are you using (would it be true for BP as well OR more or less needed?)  2) how can I tell when they are done? 3) I have a Maverick but are wings thick enough to work with a probe?

Thanks!

I lightly coat them with a flower sifter then season, I cook them at 400 for about an hour, they are plenty done. Shouldnt need a probe.
  • @MJQ8 - use your Maverick pit probe for the grid temp, but the wings need something like a Thermapen if you want to check their temp. Any digital will work, just take one off and test it, anything over 170 is OK to me, but it is hard to overcook wings and I prefer flappers to be about 170, drummers to be 180, unless you use Mickey's recipe - which is go for a nap..... and turn them into charcoal. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cazzy
    edited December 2012
    @MJQ8

I honestly wasn't scientific about the amount I put. I'd probably guess it was 1.5 tablespoons for about 25 wings and a lil over 1/2 tablespoon for 10 wings. Again though, I just winged it :P

The rest of the guys gave you great info. Wings are hard to mess up and you actually want to overcook them a tad as they have alot of intramuscular fat you need to break down.
  • MJQ8
    MJQ8 Posts: 43
    Good stuff, thanks everyone!
    Any cook you can walk away from is a good one.
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Is it as easy as just adding the rub and corn starch?  You didn't marinate them or anything, like you do in your other wing recipe?
  • cazzy
    alynd said:
    Is it as easy as just adding the rub and corn starch?  You didn't marinate them or anything, like you do in your other wing recipe?
    Yep, just that easy.  No marinading.  

Add your rub to a plastic bag and then add corn starch mix it up.  I think a 3:1 ratio will be a safe starting point.
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Great, thanks.  Going to give these a shot tonight!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.