Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MEGA Peel Project. For unadulterated dough transportation.

nolaegghead
nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
edited December 2012 in Off Topic
Borrowing on the conveyor belt concept of moving dough, I started making a peel.  Not done yet, but I'll post pictures as I progress.

Redwood edge-glued, then cut a section off and glued on some maple for strength.  The redwood is really light, but also very flexible, so I'm going to fiberglass/epoxy it.  Should be as rigid as steel.  Bought some canvas for the belt.

This will handle a 16" diameter pizza.

Last pic is the meat shopping we did today.  Got 12 small lobster tails, cooking 6 for dinner tonight.

For a finale I might shoot a video of it in use as a guitar.

imageimageimageimage

Comments

• Nola - you can get those things that are as strong as steel, because they are made of steel you know....
    Seriously, Looks good, love to work with wood. Always nice to make it yourself - look forward to you getting some pies on that thing. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Hi, my name is NOLA and I'm a big fat show off.

Good work, sir.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    Thanks Skiddy!

We just OD'd on stromboli this weekend and I was telling Miss B we need to cut down on carbs, so this isn't going to help our diets, but it has to be built.  Now if I could just remember where I put that fiberglass cloth....

Hi, my name is NOLA and I'm a big fat show off. Good work, sir.
    Sadly, I got drunk and blurted out I was going to make one of these on this very forum, so it's either show off or make a liar out of my self.  Any excuse to drink and use sharp power tools is happiness to me, so maybe I'm just being selfish....   :D

LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • nolaegghead

So what you doin with that Dale's?

I dunno....impulse buy.  I've used it before in marinade.  I was thinking it was a gluten source.

Tomorrow I'm doing a sous vide pork tenderloint (135F for 3 hours) then a cajun blackening on the egg. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    Hi, my name is NOLA and I'm a big fat show off. Good work, sir.
    Hi, my name is Fred and I'm a big fat...er...I'm big & fat.
    I need to cut down on the carbs myself.  LOBSTER!!!!!
    Since this is my thread, I think I can post my dinner pics from tonight. They suck - camera phone.  Call me lazy.  The tails were on sale for $4/each.

Lobstah, with hericot vert, young potato, applewood bacon salad. 

We cut the top of the lobster, poured herb butter into it, then cooked on the egg in the shell upright direct at about 400 until around 140 internal.  Served with a ramekin of garlic butter.  Great dinner.  Lobster came out exceptional - little smokey flavor was complementary, even though I used no chips.

Tomorrow I'm doing a serious dish - I'll start a thread.  Bayou blackened sous vide pork tenderloin.  Sides to be determined.

I just bought my first thing from woot. Thanks. I now have the woot app and plan to be broke very soon.
  • nolaegghead
    Since this is your thread I'm going to blame you for something. I just bought my first thing from woot. Thanks. I now have the woot app and plan to be broke very soon.
    You should blame masked_marvel - he's got at least a 100 more woots than me.  Plan on having a house full of worthless crap and don't forget the bag-o-crap during the wootoffs.

It's a super high quality pocket knife I've been eyeing for a long time. If you are in the market, it's a great one to have.
  • nolaegghead
    That is a nice knife for a good price.  AUS8 steel - same as my SOG.  The serrated blade is completely serrated - weird.
  • Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    Hey Nola, You did say you were going to make one the other day.  I just can't believe how quickly you jumped on it.  The super peel I ordered isn't even here yet.  You are something else!
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I bet your cashier was wondering why you're taking pictures of your groceries on the conveyor belt, ha.
    Dunedin, FL
  • nolaegghead

yzzi said:
    I bet your cashier was wondering why you're taking pictures of your groceries on the conveyor belt, ha.
    If people think I'm crazy - they're spot on.
    Zick said:
    Hey Nola, You did say you were going to make one the other day.  I just can't believe how quickly you jumped on it.  The super peel I ordered isn't even here yet.  You are something else!
    thought this would be a one or two day project - it's taking longer than I thought - typical project planning under-estimation I suppose.   I put the epoxy on everything - it soaked into the wood, pretty much should make it last forever.  I used fiberglass cloth on the back section to stiffen it up.

Just need to sand it down, attach the handle and give it a coat or two of spar varnish, make the belt and I'm done.  I'll post pics of the finished product and maybe that video of it being used (as a guitar).
    The peel is done.  Sanded the epoxy and applied poly.  Just need to make the belt, then try it out.
    Beautiful!! Love the finish and the "NOLA"

Great job!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    That is very impressive!!!! Nice job, looking forward to seeing it in action.  When can I place my order??
    :))
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • nolaegghead
    Amazing how that fiberglass cloth just "disappears" in the resin.  The wood soaked up about 7 oz of resin.  Thin, light and very strong.  As usual, overkill, but should last a lifetime.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Where does the motor go?
    The human motor attaches to the handle.
    I'm giving flying monkeys as Christmas gifts this year..

Sorry Nola - where was the fiberglass cloth?  Did it just turn transparent?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• nolaegghead
    edited December 2012

Since this is your thread I'm going to blame you for something. I just bought my first thing from woot. Thanks. I now have the woot app and plan to be broke very soon.
    You should blame masked_marvel - he's got at least a 100 more woots than me.  Plan on having a house full of worthless crap and don't forget the bag-o-crap during the wootoffs.
    I'm giving flying monkeys as Christmas gifts this year..

Sorry Nola - where was the fiberglass cloth?  Did it just turn transparent?
    Those monkeys are always sailing around the office....lots of w00ters.

The fiberglass cloth is around the back of the peel where the handle attaches.  That area gets a lot of stress picking up a heavy pie, so I built it like a wood strip canoe - soak with resin, apply epoxy cloth, more resin.

Hi, my name is NOLA and I'm a big fat show off.

Hey everybody...look what I can do. Superstar

Good work, sir.

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • PSHome
    PSHome Posts: 41
    +1 on henapple.  Hey, what's the anise seed for?  Christmas cookies or a rub?

• nolaegghead
    Mary Katherine Gallagher is my hero...henapple knows it.

The anise seed - we were out of it.  We use it in in oyster rockefeller soup, I can't remember what else. 
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Looking good Nola. The egg center (or excuse) for most of our activities. 

LS asked about a motor - I'm really surprised you haven't some worked your gas powered leaf blower into this "thing"...
    8-}
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!